PDA

View Full Version : Painted pin stripes on top of clear?

TXredEDGE
07-16-2005, 07:53 PM
My wife`s Hyundai Santa Fe has dealer painted pin stripes. They are on top of the clear.

Do I need to do anything special when working around these with clay or my PC?

She does have some nice fine scratches and I was going to try the SSR2.5. If this didn`t get rid of them I was going to try the SSR2 followed by the SSR1 (I don`t think they are deep enough for the SSR3).

Personally I would like to remove the pin stripes, but she said that have to stay (and she`s the boss!).

Thanks for the help,

Brian

JasonD
07-16-2005, 08:23 PM
Are you sure they are painted? They are usually just vinyl stickers. Regardless, you don`t need to do anything special around them.

I`d also try SSR2 before jumping to SSR2.5 for those fine scratches. Always use the least aggressive method possible to atain your goal. Hope this helps.

Setec Astronomy
07-16-2005, 08:58 PM
Vinyl pinstripes? I thought those went out in the 70`s. I guess maybe on lower end cars. I was in a Cadillac dealer a few months ago, and they had several cars in the showroom with painted pinstripes ending with a little "Cadillac" flourish on the rear fender. I looked at the whole job...and wondered how long it would be before some of the "Cadillac" would be chipping off...it did look nice, though, not that I would want it on my car.

TXredEDGE
07-16-2005, 09:16 PM
...not that I would want it on my car.

My feelings exactly, but my wife likes them.

Yes, they are painted. On the window sticker it said "hand painted pin stripes". They have the little Hyundai "H" in the stripes by the front fenders.

Thanks for all your help. I was just worried that they might come off with clay or PC polishing.

Brian

JasonD
07-16-2005, 09:24 PM
Vinyl pinstripes? I thought those went out in the 70`s. I guess maybe on lower end cars.

Nope, AFAIK, the biggest majority of pinstriping you see is vinyl. My local Ford dealer installs pinstripes on every new SUV, pickup, and most cars they have on the lot (if they didn`t already come with them from the factory), and they are all vinyl. I can`t tell you how many vinyl pinstripes I`ve pulled off for friends. Most think they are painted on and can`t believe it when I show them it`s just a sticker. I used to be one of them. On my old 99` Eddie Bauer Expedition it had these tan pinstripes that went all the way down the side of the vehicle. It looked like two stripes above one another with the black of the vehicle showing between the two. Well, when the day came that I built up enough guts to take them off, I found out that it was actually ONE BIG STICKER! The tan, the black, everything. The sticker was almost 3/4 of an inch to 1 full inch wide. :shocked

Anyway, I personally, hate pinstripes and take them off any chance I get.

My feelings exactly, but my wife likes them.

Yes, they are painted. On the window sticker it said "hand painted pin stripes". They have the little Hyundai "H" in the stripes by the front fenders.

Thanks for all your help. I was just worried that they might come off with clay or PC polishing.

Brian

My fiance and I get into this debate all the time about her brand new Explorer. It came with the same vinyl pinstriping that I just mentioned, she loves it and I hate it.

Anyway, I know exactly what you are talking about with the H on the front fenders, I`ve just never realized those were painted on. I always thought they were stickers.

The question is, if they are painted, is the clear coat over them or are they over the clear coat. The clear coat *should* be over everything which would make it perfectly safe to do anything you want. Now, if the cc isn`t over it, then you need to be a little delicate with them, but I doubt that is the case.

Setec Astronomy
07-16-2005, 09:44 PM
My old `76 Buick had the factory vinyl pinstriping, really nice (for vinyl pinstriping). I was just in the local detailing store today and they had case after case of vinyl pinstripe tape. I just don`t see it in the dealer showrooms around here--as TXred said, the stickers say "hand painted", and they are, as well as being on top of the clear. The dealers always try to dress up the cars they have to move them, I saw Buicks with all kinds of chrome vinyl door edge trim, wheel lip trim, chrome rocker panel applique.

JasonD
07-16-2005, 09:52 PM
Well, I guess vinyl pinstriping is just a Ford thing then, thankfully, because I`d really be ticked if I found out my pinstriping was painted on.

pontman43
07-16-2005, 10:19 PM
Well, I guess vinyl pinstriping is just a Ford thing then, thankfully, because I`d really be ticked if I found out my pinstriping was painted on.

Its also a GM, toyota, honda, nissan, dodge and hyundia thing. I`m probably forgetting some too.

Yaemish
07-22-2005, 08:47 AM
Vinyl pinstripes? I thought those went out in the 70`s. I guess maybe on lower end cars. I was in a Cadillac dealer a few months ago, and they had several cars in the showroom with painted pinstripes ending with a little "Cadillac" flourish on the rear fender. I looked at the whole job...and wondered how long it would be before some of the "Cadillac" would be chipping off...it did look nice, though, not that I would want it on my car.

The answer is "not long", I need to find someone to fix it