PDA

View Full Version : Based on autopian consensus, is AIO the *best* for oxidation removal?

Pages : [1] 2

mystickid
07-16-2005, 05:57 PM
Is AIO considered the *Best* oxidation remover based on a Auopian consensus.

Is there anything that competes with it? :work:

BillyBarou
07-16-2005, 07:24 PM
I have used it on cars without too much oxidation or none, but I do find that it really "wettens" the finish and adds durability. Do you have pics of what you are trying to do?

JustinR32
07-16-2005, 07:53 PM
I don`t think it`s better than MPPC.

Tom

mystickid
07-16-2005, 10:37 PM
Well, I think my clearcoat is messed up because after polishing SSR 2.5 on a rotary w/ a LC VC yelow and Orange cutting pad, many of the swirls were removed. However, there was absolutely no difference in depth. In fact, after polishing and following up with a lighter polish, the clearcoat was still hazy/ gray-ish and this is a Black car. So I`m thinking, the paint is 7 rs. old, maybe its light oxidation that`s covereing up the depth.

salty
07-16-2005, 10:45 PM
Might be the most widely used but not necessarily the best. I`ve had great success with Mothers pre-wax cleaner, 3M cleaner wax and many others.

imported_themightytimmah
07-16-2005, 10:58 PM
I usually just take off oxidation with Optimum. If I feel the need to go chemical-only on my polish, I like Poorboy`s Pro better than All-In-One, I feel its stronger.

imported_memnuts
07-16-2005, 11:45 PM
I believe your haze is not oxidation. This would have been removed by SSR2.5 and rotary. AIO does have fine abrasives and may aid in eliminating the haze. Definitely worth a try using PC and polishing pad @ 4-5 opm. Another fine product that works well in eliminating swirls and haze is Meg`s DACP when applied and allowed to breakdown properly.

Unfortunately, this wonderful product has seemed to fallen out of vogue. :nixweiss

Brazo
07-17-2005, 03:48 AM
Agree DACP is great at oxidation removal but AIO will be a good way to remove without using an overly abrasive polish. I recently set about de oxidising a car with AIO but when I noticed swirls I had to switch to DACP.

JustinR32
07-17-2005, 07:48 AM
mystickid,

I`m thinking that you should post a picture or two. I can imagine what you`re describing as either true hazing and oxidation or as the beginning of clear coat failure. I`d think it`s hazing, but I wouldn`t want to comment on what you should do without seeing it.

Tom

BillyBarou
07-17-2005, 09:30 AM
I think of AIO as more of a chemical cleaner/sealant combo than as an oxidation remover.

What might be happening is that the rotary left minor swirls that a PC can take out with a milder polish. That is often the case when I use a rotary. I always follow rotary work with PC work.

mystickid
07-17-2005, 01:33 PM
Mosca, here are some pics.

This is after polishing and PB`s EX. The pics are kind of hard to tell on but in real life its not pitch black as I hoped it to be.

These pics are after SSR 2.5 via rotary LC VC Yellow then Orange @ around 1500 RPM. And Followed by P085RD LC VC white polishing pad @ around 1200-1500 RPM

then RMG via PC LC VC black finishing pad speed 5-6.PB`s Ex hand applied. Where`s the depth??? :nixweiss

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a135/mystickid/2.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a135/mystickid/3.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a135/mystickid/5.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a135/mystickid/4.jpg

imported_themightytimmah
07-17-2005, 01:57 PM
You still got swirls there buddy :). Look at the last pic carefully, right about 7 o`clock. I`d hit it with SSR2.5 or Optimum on a white pad @1500, maybe a couple passes. Stay off the PO85RD until you get real experienced, its a toughie to use IMHO. Those might be from rotary inexperience too, if they won`t go away use SSR2.5 via PC on a white pad.

Edit: Consider using 2 passes of SSR2.5/white pad/1500RPM then follow with DP FFP/SSR1/PO85 on a PC @6 with a white pad. Enjoy. You don`t see those too well cause of the glaze, but you see em in direct sunlight.

mystickid
07-17-2005, 02:07 PM
themightytimmah,

I know man, I still got those swirls :nixweiss .After the 2 passes with SSR 2.5 and P085Rd, will my depth increase??? I did just that on my trunk, and th right after polishing the swirls and scrathes were gone but depth didn`t change/increase.

Anthony O.
07-17-2005, 04:52 PM
mystic,

First if you have a clear coat, which I am sure you do, it can`t be oxidation as they don`t oxidize.

Second is your hood a repaint? This is the only reason I can think that there may be no true depth BUT with that said I think your cars paint looks pretty nice except for the few areas of marring.

You may need to go the route of a glaze and just leave it at that because you may be doing more damage than good.

Anthony

mystickid
07-17-2005, 05:09 PM
Thanx Anthony,

i definately got a Clear coat. i didn`t know that they don`t oxidize, That eliminates my whole Oxidation theory. Well, I don`t know what to do, I guess i`ll never find out why it`s lacking the depth after P085RD, RMG, and PB`s EX. or maybe *one day* I will. i guess i`ll just have to live with it. Thanx again, :wavey