PDA

View Full Version : Help! Want to protect new black car, need advice

Pages : [1] 2

JasonATL
07-16-2005, 05:07 AM
I have a new black car (6 weeks old). It is gorgeous. But, this is our second black car. We traded in the first. So, I know what I`m getting into. If I put up pictures of the one we traded in, I would get voted off the Autopia island as a disgrace. Well, maybe it wasn`t that bad, but...

Here`s the background: I`ve been told that the car`s paint is not a clearcoat. I can`t verify this, but the source is someone I`ve found to be knowledgeable about this manufacturer. The car is garaged. It is a daily driver -- 12 miles each way to a parking garage. The car only sits outside on trips to the grocery, restaurant, etc.

As with most new cars, there is already some microscratches (thanks to the dealer and, I`m sure, some dirt and me). My goal is to keep it as perfect as possible for as long as possible. I really love a deep, wet look. Last weekend, I put on some Meg`s #7 and topped it with #26. It was better than when it was delivered to me. I was VERY happy with the finish. A friend of my family`s visited the next day. He is a guy who restores old cars and shows them (and wins quite a bit), but he`s not much on detailing (he stops at prepping the sheet metal and let`s a good painter take over). He remarked at the depth and liquidity. This is what I want to keep happening for years.

I`m going to put another layer of #26 on today. However, in reading Autopia, I wonder if I`m making my life too hard. Would I be better off using AIO and SG (multiple?) in terms of protection? Now that I say it, I`m not even sure what we all mean when we say protection. What increase in protection would I realize? I can`t find anywhere that AIO or SG offer UV protection. Would the AIO/SG keep microscratches from occuring? If so, I might go this route. What about depth? Would I be giving up some depth? I know that many layer Carnauba on AIO+SG to keep depth. But, if I`m going to do that every several weeks, then why not just rely on the carnauba for protection?

I`m not starting from scratch -- I have a PC, clay, MF, etc. and I`ve been able to keep our 6 year old red daily driver looking quite good. But, I`m always looking to improve! I`ve been using Meg`s products for a couple of years and I`ve been very happy. But, I`ve recently found Autopia and I`m open to changing my routine if it can help.

Please understand that my questions are genuine and not arguments. I realize that there isn`t one right answer here (or else everyone would do the same thing!). But, opinions of those here would be greatly appreciated. Our last black car`s paint was not properly maintained from the start. I want to get this one right. Thanks in advance.

Mad iX
07-16-2005, 05:57 AM
First off, congrats. Pics? :D

AIO/SG do offer UV protection and probably offer better overall protection than #26, but the #7/#26 combo certainly has excellent depth.

How regularly are you willing to maintain the car? If every 2-3 months or more often, then I`d stick with #26. It`s quite a durable wax.

One combo that would have better depth and wetness is RMG and Souveran but durability isn`t great. You`d be looking at re-applying Souveran once a month at least. You could try EX topped with Souveran for excellent protection and durability, and re-apply Souveran once every month or two to keep it looking great.

If you want to stick with Meguiar`s, then maybe add NXT. So #7, then 2 layers of NXT, and top with #26. An excellent combo that`s a bit more work than EX and Souveran but cheaper and you can keep using the products you already have. There`re quite a few other products you could try but that`s what I suggest for now. I`m sure others will chime in with their own ...

No LSP can really prevent scratches of any kind. Minor marring will occur from everyday driving, fact of life. You just have to make sure your process and techniques minimise the damage and every 6 months or so, restore your paint with a polish and your PC.

Anthony O.
07-16-2005, 07:19 AM
You can tell if you have a clear coat or not by simply using a paint cleaner and rubbing it on a panel of the car. If there is paint transfer on your polishing rag then you have single stage paint, if not then you have clear.

There are so many products out there it would make anyone dizzy trying to decide the right ones. If possible try and stick within a system, whether it be Mothers, Meguairs, Menzerna, Zaino, ClearKote, Poorboys or Optimum.

Anthony

mdsmithers
07-16-2005, 08:32 AM
Did I miss it, what kind of car is this?

JasonATL
07-16-2005, 01:26 PM
Did I miss it, what kind of car is this?

Sorry. It is a Lexus RX 400h. A Lexus forum guru was the one who informed me that Lexus doesn`t do clearcoat on their black. Is this typical of other manufacturers? My uninformed assumption was that a manufacturer either used clearcoat or not.

I just finished with another layer of #26 today. Jeez, I love that stuff. Easy on, easy off. Great depth to me.

Thanks for those who have replied so far. I`m still looking for more input. I`ll probably give Souveran or P21S a try at some point, just because I like to experiment.

Thanks all for the input!

mdsmithers
07-16-2005, 09:24 PM
Well, I can`t say for sure, but I`m guessing it does have CC.

For great protection you could use Klasse AIO, Klasse SG then top with the #26 as needed. That`s what I`ve been doing on mine. The microscratches will come from washing, you can minimize their development with a good wash technique.

Collinite 845 has been getting good reviews for protection and durability. Lots of good info on this site, I`m sure you`ll find a combo that you like.

Way2SSlow
07-20-2005, 11:44 AM
Roswell, GA huh? Howdy neighbor. I`ll tell you that Souveran is hands down my favorite on black. Durability is not there, but the look is amazing. My family has 3 black cars, and I like to top them all with Souveran. I seem to get better durability out of the DP Max Wax though. It smells similar, and application is nearly the same, but the look and the durablity characteristics are different.

JasonATL
07-20-2005, 02:07 PM
Roswell, GA huh? Howdy neighbor. I`ll tell you that Souveran is hands down my favorite on black. Durability is not there, but the look is amazing. My family has 3 black cars, and I like to top them all with Souveran. I seem to get better durability out of the DP Max Wax though. It smells similar, and application is nearly the same, but the look and the durablity characteristics are different.

Hi neighbor. I`ll give Souveran a try this fall (after the heat). I`ve about called it quits for the summer. I`m going to see how long my 2 layers of #26 last. Hopefully, I can get to Labor Day. At that point, I`ll be experimenting some more.

I`m intrigued by Collinite IW. I`m also considering a sealant. Since I`ve been so happy with Meguiars, I`ve ordered #21 to try. My dad lives in Florida and doesn`t take care of his new car as well as he needs to, given the tough environment on the beach. So, I`m planning on putting a sealant on his car. Might try it on one or both of mine (other is Red).

Glossequation
07-21-2005, 06:20 AM
There`s no way a new black car is not CC`d

I found this thread by Todd03Blown and though I have never used Clearkote products, I think these pictures speak for themselves - absolutely stunning.

http://autopia.org/forum/showthread.php?t=58240&highlight=cobra

Way2SSlow
07-21-2005, 07:29 AM
Hi neighbor. I`ll give Souveran a try this fall (after the heat). I`ve about called it quits for the summer. I`m going to see how long my 2 layers of #26 last. Hopefully, I can get to Labor Day. At that point, I`ll be experimenting some more.

When you`re ready, hit me with a PM or an email and maybe we can hook up and put a coat of souveran on your RX. That way you can check it out before you buy it. That RX400h is a pretty neat car. I worked on a white one with my bud Nick about a month or so ago.

Anthony O.
07-21-2005, 07:54 AM
There`s no way a new black car is not CC`d

Sorry but black Lexus SC`s are not clear coated.

Anthony

Lou K
07-21-2005, 08:55 AM
Sorry but black Lexus SC`s are not clear coated.

Anthony

That is strange. My wife`s car is a Lexus LS430 and it is clearcoated.

Anthony O.
07-21-2005, 10:56 AM
The few Lexus SC`s I have worked on were all black and none of them had clears. Now it may just be "black" or perhaps just the small Lexus sport cars, not sure.

Anthony

JasonATL
07-21-2005, 12:25 PM
Anthony, how could you tell that is was not a clear coat?

Similarly, Lou K, how can you tell that it is a clear coat?

Lastly, how does this affect my regmine of paint care? What should I do differently if it is/is not clear coated?

imported_themightytimmah
07-21-2005, 12:52 PM
You can tell if its clearcoated by taking a polish and a clean mf and rubbing the finish gently. If it turns black, its SS. If not, its clearcoated. The only real difference is that single stage paint is a lot easier scratchwise and tends to have less OP, but it is more prone to oxidation and softer. I prefer to work on SS cars, but thats just me.