PDA

View Full Version : Does Menzerna FMJ bead?

BMW645
07-14-2005, 08:01 PM
I`ve been using Collinite for some time. I love it, but I want to try something new. I was thinking about using FMJ. Have some questions about it:

1. How long does it last? In the Winter? In the hot summers? Does FMJ bead water?

2. Does it collect dust? I find some carnauba waxes seem to attract dust. I could be my imagination.

3. Can I layer it? And do additional layers add to the look of my car?

4. Does it still have a real bad odor?

5. If I decide I don`t want to use it any more, is it easy to remove? And how do I remove it?

6. What do I use as a quick detailer spray for the FMJ? I heard Menzerna makes one, but what about when I run out, and I need to go to my local AutoZone, or Pep Boys? (Autozone is much closer to me.)

thanks!

chevyguy28
07-14-2005, 10:49 PM
I have not let FMJ dwell long enough to find out its ultimate durability. It does however bead water quite well. It degrades a bit after 2-3 washes. It`s probably the easiest to use last step product I`ve ever tried. It`s easier than S100, Zaino, etc. Spreads nicely and comes off with one swipe. Super slick.

I have not found a product that doesn`t collect dust, though there may be some variance between products. Last year I split my hood into several parts to test various products, leaving one section bare as a control to test for beading. Before I would wash, the bare section would have hardly any dust, while the FMJ, SG, S100, Zaino sections would all have lots of dust. Usually the sealants attracted more dust.

Not sure if it`s layerable like other sealants.

Doesn`t smell bad, haven`t noticed a real strong odor.

Use some alcohol to remove it, just as you might with any other sealant.

I use Menzerna Acrylic Shield (adds back slickness), but you can use any local QD without significant waxes and it will work fine (e.g. Eagle One Wipe N Shine, Meguiars Final Inspection, etc).

- J