PDA

View Full Version : Help With Pads!

CloudKicker
07-14-2005, 07:27 PM
Hi,

I was wondering whats the difference between the Sonus Das and SFX-3 Pads? Which ones easier to work with? How many do I usually need to finish a car? Thanks

CloudKicker
07-14-2005, 07:41 PM
Please Help

imported_series1
07-14-2005, 07:48 PM
I have used the Sonus das pads and they are great and easy to work with. This is from the autopia store about the SFX pads

Sonus SFX 6†polishing pads are precision made for use with dual-action polishers or a rotary buffer. Sonus SFX pads feature engineered prepolymer foams that are hydrophilic, meaning they quickly absorb polish and swell. The prepolymer foam offers superior durability and generates just the right amount of work (heat) to offer great polishing action, even with a dual-action machine.

The hydrophilic nature of the SFX pads improves polish “hang timeâ€, which is the amount of buffing you can perform before your polish dries out, forcing you to stop and apply more polish. The benefit is an even and complete break down of the polishing oxides for a perfectly clear final finish.

Unlike most foam pads, which have their Velcro backing applied after the foam disk is cut, the Velcro backing is applied to the SFX foam in its sheet form during the foam manufacturing process. The lamination process creates a complete bond between the Velcro and foam that will not delaminate under the extreme stress of a high performance dual-action polisher.

Sonus SFX pads are very dense. They have a small, uniform cell structure that efficiently transmits energy to the polish, allowing it create a finer paint finish. Even the SFX-3 Final Finish pad is dense, whereas most final finish pads are soft and spongy. The density allows pressure to be applied to the pad, when used with a dual-action polisher, for a superior final finish.

This is from the autopia store about the Sonus das pads

The new Sonus DAS Pads are precision machined from the highest quality, reticulated polyester urethane foam available. Reticulated polyester urethane foam is an exceptionally strong, yet flexible material with superior buffing and polishing qualities. The superior z-axis conductivity of Sonus DAS Pads results in lower resistance and better heat dispersion for the safest machine polishing possible.

The unique recessed Velcro backing prevents accidental damage from the edge of the backing plate contacting trim, spoilers and other painted surfaces. Plus, the full radius edges allow a smooth, full contact transition on shapely body panels.

Sonus DAS Pads outlast ordinary foam pads, and are warranted for up to 10 uses when properly maintained.

sQuashed
07-14-2005, 08:19 PM
I too have used the Sonus DAS pads for the last year and they are built tuff!! Still going strong. I use (most of the time) 1 Orange /2 green/1 blue to do a car. 2 pads of each color is good to have.

PaulTso
07-14-2005, 10:11 PM
Edge 2000. Enough said. those things will last forever. If you live in NJ, pick em up at Pal Automotive in piscataway. Adaptor is 12 bucks. Its wont go bad like most backing plates. You dont have to worry about the velcro melting to the backing plate...No hassle. no worries