PDA

View Full Version : Menzerna FMJ over Imperial Hand Glaze

FrizzleFry
07-14-2005, 04:19 PM
Ok I searched and searched and couldn`t find this... Anyone use FMJ over 3M Imperial Hand Glaze? I`ve used 3M SMR with FMJ over it. Was wondering if I would get better results with the glaze + FMJ. Also does FTG have fillers? I`ll be working on quite a few black vehicles and wanted the quickest but somewhat longer lasting results.

jmsc
07-14-2005, 04:53 PM
I`ve used FMJ over P21S GEPC, over Mother`s S&G and over FTG with no problems (no hazing, easy removal). Never used it over IHG but I don`t see why it shouldn`t work.

All glazes have some oils/fillers. Some, like 3M`s Finishing Glaze has carnauba in it.

FrizzleFry
07-14-2005, 05:47 PM
right... well i`ll give it a shot. and will FMJ remove any of the fillers?

Anthony O.
07-14-2005, 09:27 PM
I am not so sure that the FMJ will react well with the IHG. The reason it works OK with the Menzerna FG is because it is part of the system, IHG is not.

Now I am only speculating here but most polymers don`t sit well on top of glazes.

Anthony

SpoiledMan
07-14-2005, 09:34 PM
I`m currently trying a section of my Integra with RMG and FMJ. It`s been three weeks so far and it`s still about as slick as right after application.

chevyguy28
07-14-2005, 10:53 PM
Anthony,

What makes you think Menzerna FTG is significantly different from any other glaze? It seems to have clay and oils, just like IHG.

My testing of FTG shows that it does a good job at filling in swirls. It`s like #7 in that regard.

CMA claims FMJ durability over FTG is uncompromised, but I have a hard time believing that. Guess it`s another test for me to do. I think products like FMJ and UPP have oils in them anyway, no?

- J

Anthony O.
07-15-2005, 07:35 AM
Anthony,

What makes you think Menzerna FTG is significantly different from any other glaze? It seems to have clay and oils, just like IHG.

My testing of FTG shows that it does a good job at filling in swirls. It`s like #7 in that regard.

CMA claims FMJ durability over FTG is uncompromised, but I have a hard time believing that. Guess it`s another test for me to do. I think products like FMJ and UPP have oils in them anyway, no?

- J

WEll I have no evidence, that`s why I said I am just speculating. I rarely, like once in a blue moon rare, ever use a glaze so my experience with them is limited. I did use the FG once and that was my one and only time as it was just far too oily for me.

My wax, which was at the time I think Trade Secret, was just sitting or floating on top of the FG. Really ticked me off as I had to go and remove all the FG and start over. Lesson learned from that is to always do a single test panel first :doh

I agree that placing something over a glaze would compromise the longevity because to me the oils in the glaze do not allow for a complete bond, whether it be wax or polymer.

Anthony

chevyguy28
07-15-2005, 08:43 AM
Thanks for your observations.

Do you mean that the wax would not adhere to the glaze, or is just didn`t last long with the glaze underneath?

- J

PS: I know you have a lot of experience with clear bra materials. Could you take a look at this thread? http://autopia.org/forum/showthread.php?t=59321

Would really appreciate your wisdom here. Thanks.

Anthony O.
07-15-2005, 09:07 AM
The wax wouldn`t really bond. I wiped it after a few minutes but it just smeared around. After removing the FG I did an AIO application and then waxed with no problems.

I`ll take a look at that thread now.

Thanks,

Anthony