PDA

View Full Version : To clay or not to clay ?

Pages : [1] 2

Clean Dean
07-14-2005, 10:15 AM
To some I think the answer I am looking for is obvious...

As a professional I would not even think of buffing out a car before it has been properly clayed. I realize that clay is not cheap, but even compounding and polishing does not alway get out all of the evironmental contaniments. I know a few detailing operation near me that only offer claying as an upcharge.

What do you think to clay or not to clay? Should it be an upcharge? Should you build it into your price (I do)?

BTW... If you get away with exterior detailing without claying and still get your price more power to you. I just believe that claying is now a mandatory step in a complete exterior detail.

imported_truzoom
07-14-2005, 10:41 AM
I think it should be mandatory, because I can`t imagine trying to polish a surface that has contamination..especially sap or fallout. You`ll end up runing your pads and wasting polish.

ScubaStevo
07-14-2005, 11:20 AM
I base claying on a car to car basis. If I think it will need it (as in, polishing won`t remove it), I ask for a additional 5-10 dollars. I build my base price with clay time included, but I find that I end up using on other things anyways.

Spilchy
07-14-2005, 11:42 AM
Obviously time is money. It takes more time to clay a car, then to only compound / polish it. You indicate you factor it into your fee so in essence you are upcharging unless you offer a lesser "package" that does not include claying.

So charging for claying is reasonable given the time factor. Places around me charge $5 per panel.

The only draw back about upcharging for clay may be pricing yourself out of the market if that is a concern. Not that going cheap is the right route either!

The key is trying to convince the uninformed customer who is about to part with their money as to why the necessity to clay (and a higher fee) for a proper detail. Unless your luckily enough that your clients are well off enough as to care less about the price.

brwill2005
07-14-2005, 03:19 PM
I think claying makes the detail much more complete. It also makes the polishing easier. I have found that even paint that feels smooth, has grime that a claybar can remove. Educating the customer on the benefits of claying can help with charging more money for it.

imported_themightytimmah
07-14-2005, 05:03 PM
I`m pretty close to eliminating claying altogether and moving to a decon kit for each car. I`ve worked out the per-car cost, and it`s not much more than claying at half the time and hassle. Right now, I build claying into my prices, and the pricing will stay the same with decontamination, more overhead but less labor cost.

Spilchy
07-14-2005, 05:25 PM
Isn`t a decon. a 3 step washing process? Just curious, how is that faster than claying once?

stilez
07-14-2005, 06:28 PM
In my Full Detail, I don`t offer claying and just a light polishing and sealing. I realized some people really don`t care too much and they`d rather have a shiny finish but some roughness and swirls don`t bother them.

Furthermore my Ultimate Detail includes claying and intensive polishing. I do many more of these as once one sees the results, the rest is just details :).

I have contemplated adding claying for the lesser package but haven`t decided yet as I don`t want to raise my prices anymore on that package.

imported_themightytimmah
07-14-2005, 06:40 PM
Depends on the car, on bad white cars I`ve spent an hour claying. It takes me a little while to decon, but not too bad. Usually 20-30 mins and that includes the wash.

Clean Dean
07-14-2005, 07:22 PM
I`m pretty close to eliminating claying altogether and moving to a decon kit for each car. I`ve worked out the per-car cost, and it`s not much more than claying at half the time and hassle. Right now, I build claying into my prices, and the pricing will stay the same with decontamination, more overhead but less labor cost. (IMO) Clay !!! Spend less time with the wheel !!! Especially on light vehicles.

Elaborate PLEASE !!!

Scottwax
07-14-2005, 10:36 PM
Spot claying is included as often just the hood and rear bumper need claying. If the whole car needs to be clayed or there are overspray issues, then it is definitely an upcharge.

imported_COBRyan
07-14-2005, 11:05 PM
I think it should be mandatory, because I can`t imagine trying to polish a surface that has contamination..especially sap or fallout. You`ll end up runing your pads and wasting polish.

I completely agree. If I paid someone for a full detail and I found out they didn`t clay it, they would never detail my car again. Charge more in your details if you must, but clay the cars!

MichaelM
07-15-2005, 02:34 PM
I use clay in every detail prep we do. I couldn`t imagine leaving contamination on paint when a customer is expecting a "full" exterior detail. We put two people on preps normally and can clay a car in 5-10 minutes. If a car requires extensive tar, road paint, etc. removal then upcharging is required. But that is a rare case.

For the tough white cars-Meguiars red clay.

Beason
07-15-2005, 03:45 PM
I offer a full clay on my highest package and offer spot claying for 10 and full clay for 20-40 depending on the condition and size. I have a customer who has a lifted F250 and does tons of offroading so claying it can take up to 2 hours.

Mizzuri
07-16-2005, 05:07 AM
I factor the price of claying when pricing a job. If the client asks if there is anyway we can bring the price down and still get a great result I try to explain what each step of the process does and how by not doing an individual step will effect the end result.

Most people arent stupid, just not educated in proper detailing. They dont understand what is involved or the process needed to achieve the end result we all strive for.