PDA

View Full Version : detailed car, woke up finding it dusted

D4cmaN
07-13-2005, 04:55 PM
yesterday, i spent about 4 hours detailing the exterior of my coupe. rinse, soap, claybar, polish, wax. i go to sleep around 3am and woke up to a sound of a leafblower around 9am. sounded like a chainsaw right by my ears.. (the leaf blower was being used right by my windows and my windows were opened cause its heated here). i tried going back to sleep but im too pissed at this point. so i just wake up and eat breakfast.

hour later, about 10am, i go out finding my car smoothered in dust from the ground/garden/plants.. :furious:

i had no time to clean it off cause i had an dmv appointment at 11pm and its about 5pm here and i just got back... (so much bs happened over there :work: )

so i wanted to know what should i do to get these dust specks off the car without washing away the wax/polish? could i rinse it down and re wax it after drying it lightly? lmk what i can/should do. :think:

btw, i did mothers claybar, meguairs showcar glaze #7, and meguairs gold class wax

thanks

2wheelsx2
07-13-2005, 05:08 PM
You can use a California Car duster followed by QD wipe with and MF.

Wasatch
07-13-2005, 06:11 PM
QD it again.

D4cmaN
07-13-2005, 07:19 PM
sorry, i dont understand "QD" and im guessing MF = microfiber towel?

also, never heartd of california duster, any links?

imported_Jinba ittai
07-13-2005, 07:51 PM
hour later, about 10am, i go out finding my car smoothered in dust from the ground/garden/plants.. :furious:

so i wanted to know what should i do to get these dust specks off the car without washing away the wax/polish? could i rinse it down and re wax it after drying it lightly? lmk what i can/should do. :think:

btw, i did mothers claybar, meguairs showcar glaze #7, and meguairs gold class wax

thanks

The car is already slick and smooth from all the work you did, you just want to get off the surface dust and dirt from the leafblowing. I`d just give it a quick wash. If you use an open ended hose the water should sheet right off so you`ll have minimal drying involved (yes, "MF" means microfiber).

IMO there`s no need to rewax unless you want to. The finish should be fine. If the image in my mind is accurate it`ll be far easier to rinse it off rather than QD (Quick Detail) it. IMO you`ll do more damage than good using a http://www.californiacardusters.com/standardcarduster.html]California ( [url) Duster[/url].

I had a similar situation happen to me last month. My house and garage were being painted and the painters came and powerwashed the outside of the garage the day after I detailed my car with Zaino. Unfortunately they did must have aimed the washer full force at my garage door because all the water and crud blew right through the cracks of the door onto my car! :wall The car was covered from bumper to bumper with dust. dirt and muddy water droplets. Needless to say I wasn`t happy. I guess I could`ve QDed it but it was much easier to just wash it off and it looked just fine. A freshly detailed car is the easiest to wash. :chuckle:

diamond dan
07-13-2005, 09:21 PM
The California Dusters work great on an already clean car. I use then every other day or so just to keep the dust to a minumum. I also use a Blue Mist by diamond professional. Its an all around final wipe that works great for a quick shine, and leaves no residue behind. It also works great on windows.

White95Max
07-13-2005, 10:16 PM
I would wash the car. It should be near effortless to wash it if you just polished and waxed the car. Most of the dust should rinse right off when you spray down the car before washing it.

I have an OXO duster, and I use that every couple days on lightly dusted cars only.

D4cmaN
07-15-2005, 01:53 AM
i rinsed it off with a hose, it worked but very small bead marks though since i didnt hand dry it.

but would it be ok to rinse it with a hose, hand dry and apply another coat of wax or 2? will the polish still be intact underneath the first wax coat?

any tips when drying? or applying wax?

CaliPhotog
07-15-2005, 08:17 AM
You said that the car now has a few small water spots cause you didn`t hand dry it. Okay assuming you are going to throw another coat of wax over the wax you just did, you need to get rid of the water spots first. The wax will not remove the water spots, infact it will only seal them in between 2 layers of wax. So YES you can throw another coat over the coat you have, however you will need to take care of the water spots first. BTW Why didn`t you dry the car?

CaliPhotog
07-15-2005, 08:22 AM
For drying I use 2 Purple Waffle weave MF towels that I got from Detailaers Paradise.

http://www.detailersparadise.com/View.asp?ProductID=54342004127482%2D249136542

These things are ridiculous!!!! I use them side by side. After I sheet the water off of my car with the hose, I take the towels and wipe one to get the big spots and use the second to clean up any left over mirco droplets. Usually the first pas is enough and the second MF is hardley even wet when I am done with the whole car. It takes about 4 or 5 minutes to dry my whole car. It is a small car, but that seems like good time.

toml
07-15-2005, 08:31 AM
I would just wash your car again, dry it with a WW or whatever MF you use, and then add a second coat of wax. You won`t be washing away all the polish and wax from your detail by washing your car.

White95Max
07-15-2005, 10:47 AM
Wash the car ALWAYS before waxing. Any dust or dirt on the car will be sealed in by the wax. Why would you want that?

And yes your wax should still be fine.

Carlos_B5
09-26-2005, 01:42 PM
what about a ligth dust in the car? can it be taken off with a MF towel lightly?

White95Max
09-26-2005, 04:30 PM
Grab a QD and mist that on the dust. Then lightly wipe the MF over the area. Many of us do that every day (or two).

fullvllan
09-26-2005, 04:59 PM
i rinsed it off with a hose, it worked but very small bead marks though since i didnt hand dry it.

but would it be ok to rinse it with a hose, hand dry and apply another coat of wax or 2? will the polish still be intact underneath the first wax coat?

any tips when drying? or applying wax?

i would say to wash it again, since the coat of wax is new the water spots should come out very easily. next time try to rinse your car with an open ended hose instead of using the sprayer... the sprayer will cause the water to bead up but with a free flowing hose the water will sheet right off and you will be able to dry your car much faster.