PDA

View Full Version : PB`s EX-P on top of CK`s VM? Can I do it?

Pages : [1] 2 3

SidiousXXX
07-13-2005, 09:11 AM
Hello,

Going to strip the Zaino off of my car here in 2 weeks just for the hell of it to try this combo.

Anyone else done it? Will the two different product brands be a problem?

Was going to then top with Carnuba Moose.

CK needs a polymer.

SpoiledMan
07-13-2005, 09:23 AM
That was a hot combo around here this time last year. Go for it but I will say that there were mixed results with durability.

SidiousXXX
07-13-2005, 09:25 AM
That was a hot combo around here this time last year. Go for it but I will say that there were mixed results with durability.

What would cause the decrease in durability?

SpoiledMan
07-13-2005, 09:28 AM
My *guess* is that VM is a rather oily product and the sealant was unable to properly "bond" to the paint. It`s a nice and wet combo but just wanted to give you the heads up.

SidiousXXX
07-13-2005, 09:35 AM
My *guess* is that VM is a rather oily product and the sealant was unable to properly "bond" to the paint. It`s a nice and wet combo but just wanted to give you the heads up.

No I appreciate that. I would end up reapplying the Carnuba moose every week or two anyways. Would go back to Zaino for the winter. I just cant leave my car alone for more than a month, I get bored.

imported_COBRyan
07-13-2005, 11:40 AM
I used to love Vanilla Moose but I have found that it really cuts down durability on my sealants and wax. VM is just so oily like one person already stated. It looks great on almost any car I use it on but I have noticed that I can`t get more than a month of durability with any LSP. After only a wash or two I can really notice that the wetness has decreased incredibly. I still use VM on wheels, engine parts, and door jams but I use it more as a cleaner than anything else. On black cars that I would normally detail every month it definitely has its place. I think AIO would be a much better base for EX-P.

SidiousXXX
07-13-2005, 11:54 AM
I used to love Vanilla Moose but I have found that it really cuts down durability on my sealants and wax. VM is just so oily like one person already stated. It looks great on almost any car I use it on but I have noticed that I can`t get more than a month of durability with any LSP. After only a wash or two I can really notice that the wetness has decreased incredibly. I still use VM on wheels, engine parts, and door jams but I use it more as a cleaner than anything else. On black cars that I would normally detail every month it definitely has its place. I think AIO would be a much better base for EX-P.

I appreciate that. What about CKs Red Moose Machine Glaze?

I like AIO but I swear (probably just me) that it alters the polymer. At least I think it does for Zaino which is why I dont like using it with Zaino.

imported_COBRyan
07-13-2005, 12:14 PM
I appreciate that. What about CKs Red Moose Machine Glaze?

I like AIO but I swear (probably just me) that it alters the polymer. At least I think it does for Zaino which is why I dont like using it with Zaino.

I have not used RMG so I cant comment on that. You could be right about the AIO w/ Zaino though. AIO does contain some acrylic protection so that may interfere with the proper bonding of Zaino.

SidiousXXX
07-13-2005, 12:39 PM
I have not used RMG so I cant comment on that. You could be right about the AIO w/ Zaino though. AIO does contain some acrylic protection so that may interfere with the proper bonding of Zaino.Not even so much the bonding, personally I think it affects the look. I know for fact that it does not seem to have the pop when I use AIO as a base coat. I also know that Zaino does not reach its full potential until 3 coats have been applied. My only complaint about Zaino is, well two I guess, it cannot be topped, and it doesnt have a wet look to it like CMW and EXP.

JaCkaL829
07-13-2005, 12:51 PM
I`d agree with SpoiledMan and COBRyan I think VM definately effects your LSP. I`ve tried VM under a couple different sealants and carnuabas and think the short durability is due to the VM. I know would rather use something that isn`t as oily or doesn`t contain as much fillers. I have some Menzerna PO85RD that i`m going to try out soon on my car. At least with that if there is a decline in durability its the LSP, Menzerna doesn`t leave fillers and oil behind.

RMG might be a little better because it doesn`t contain wax, but i`m not sure how much better it would be. :nixweiss

imported_COBRyan
07-13-2005, 01:01 PM
I`d agree with SpoiledMan and COBRyan I think VM definately effects your LSP. I`ve tried VM under a couple different sealants and carnuabas and think the short durability is due to the VM. I know would rather use something that isn`t as oily or doesn`t contain as much fillers. I have some Menzerna PO85RD that i`m going to try out soon on my car. At least with that if there is a decline in durability its the LSP, Menzerna doesn`t leave fillers and oil behind.

RMG might be a little better because it doesn`t contain wax, but i`m not sure how much better it would be. :nixweiss

Please let us know how the Menzerna works out for you, and if it changes durability at all. :)

SidiousXXX
07-13-2005, 01:10 PM

So is VM more of a one step then?

I have had good luck with VM and another polyomer called Final Polish. Durability was about 3 months which is fine for me because as I said before I cannot keep anything else on the car anyways.

VM and UPP work out well also.

JaCkaL829
07-13-2005, 01:23 PM
Please let us know how the Menzerna works out for you, and if it changes durability at all. :)

Sure whenever I get some time and it`s not raining :angry

Even when I used the SSRs under my LSP it seemed to me the durability was overall better. The SSRs like Menzerna don`t leave behind oils and fillers.

JaCkaL829
07-13-2005, 01:29 PM
So is VM more of a one step then?

I have had good luck with VM and another polyomer called Final Polish. Durability was about 3 months which is fine for me because as I said before I cannot keep anything else on the car anyways.

VM and UPP work out well also.

I would consider it a one step but hey if it works for you and your happy with it then I say keep using it. I know this has been discussed before but I`m a believer in a clean surface (no oils and fillers) which will yield a better bond and enhance durability of the LSP. Maintence is also important in durability too. If you never wash or QD the LSP`s durability will suffer.

I do know others have reported good durability with VM/EX-P so its worth a try. If your not happy with the durability VM is great on windows, plastic, etc as someone else said before, so its not a total waste.

SidiousXXX
07-13-2005, 02:06 PM
I would consider it a one step but hey if it works for you and your happy with it then I say keep using it. I know this has been discussed before but I`m a believer in a clean surface (no oils and fillers) which will yield a better bond and enhance durability of the LSP. Maintence is also important in durability too. If you never wash or QD the LSP`s durability will suffer.

I do know others have reported good durability with VM/EX-P so its worth a try. If your not happy with the durability VM is great on windows, plastic, etc as someone else said before, so its not a total waste.

VM on windows? Really? Huh I wonder if it will get out hard water spots on windows.

So really then being that VM doesnt have much of a protectant in it what is the point of the product?