PDA

View Full Version : To SG or Not to SG that is the question

Perm
07-13-2005, 03:52 AM
Hi,

Will be going down the AIO route but have not made my mind up on the benefit of using

SG and then P21s or skipping SG and just adding a P21s over AIO (like many other here do).

I understand that the SG layer(s) will give extra protection and last longer but can anyone express this in terms of how much extra protection ?

Also does SG add a noticeable level of extra gloss / shine ? or is the extra shine all in the mind ?

Cheers

Perm

Setec Astronomy
07-13-2005, 05:13 AM
My friend just went the Klasse route recently and her car definitely has great gloss/shine. I have never used P21S (wax) but it`s not going to last nearly as long as SG from what I understand. Just remember that SG can be finicky, but you just need to go thin.

laefd
07-13-2005, 05:20 AM
Need to get it thin and definitely need to let it dry. I`m a big fan of the AIO/SG twins even with the temperments of SG. I use a MF applicator, wisp it on and then find something else to do for the next hour or so. When I`m ready to remove it`s almost invisable - like a soft haze. Any trouble spots can be quickly removed with a QD or water mist. Wipes right off and the gloss/shine gets even better overnight. Can you say slick?

Plan to put on 2-3 applications and you`re set for a good 5-6 months.

imported_SHICKS
07-13-2005, 05:26 AM
Hi,

Will be going down the AIO route but have not made my mind up on the benefit of using

SG and then P21s or skipping SG and just adding a P21s over AIO (like many other here do).

I understand that the SG layer(s) will give extra protection and last longer but can anyone express this in terms of how much extra protection ?

Also does SG add a noticeable level of extra gloss / shine ? or is the extra shine all in the mind ?

Cheers

Perm

I have done both. my $.02 are quite simple. The AIO + SG combo is excellent with proper prep and application to ensure bonding. I don`t find SG hard to use on lighter color cars, but it can be a pain on black, just let it dry on dark cars, then remove.

I have used S100(p21s) over AIO with great results, but I get about 2 weeks(no garage) of excellent shine, then I need to reapply s100.

The look of SG is much more relective and glossy, S100 was a wetter and deeper, but did not "pop" as much as SG.(on steel gray)

Just depends on what look you are going for.

Check my gallery for photos of both.

Steve

Perm
07-13-2005, 06:42 AM
Many thanks to all.

Still not sure if SG is worth it....... it seems to me that

AIO + P21s = Great wet look but will need to apply P21s every 2 weeks or so.

AIO + SG + SG = Great protection, shiny rather than wet look. Can be a pain to apply unless done thin.

AIO + SG + SG + P21s= The "best" combination but will take the longest time to do.

Do you agree with this summary ?

Cheers

Perm

Is Klasse SG known to be a lot better than the other SG you can get e.g poorboys or Autoglym ?

Setec Astronomy
07-13-2005, 06:56 AM
Is Klasse SG known to be a lot better than the other SG you can get e.g poorboys or Autoglym ?

There is no Poorboy`s product equivalent to SG. I have no experience with the Autoglym twins, but many say they offer equivalent performance to Klasse. And of course, there are the new acrylics from JEFFS Werkstatt (http://www.jeffswerkstatt.com/) .

Alfisti
07-13-2005, 07:04 AM
Autoglym gives you more depth than SG. It doesn`t darken the paint alot, but it does to some degree. Of course, SG won`t darken the finish and is more reflective than deep.

imported_SHICKS
07-13-2005, 07:05 AM
Depending on the condition of your piant and how clean it is. If you decide to go P21s instead of SG, personally I would go with GEPC + p21s instead of AIO. Only if your paint is in excellnt shape, GEPC is very mild, but really makes a difference under S100 or P21s. I think produces a nicer finish than AIO, but just does not clean anywhere near as good.

Steve

Many thanks to all.

Still not sure if SG is worth it....... it seems to me that

AIO + P21s = Great wet look but will need to apply P21s every 2 weeks or so.

AIO + SG + SG = Great protection, shiny rather than wet look. Can be a pain to apply unless done thin.

AIO + SG + SG + P21s= The "best" combination but will take the longest time to do.

Do you agree with this summary ?

Cheers

Perm

beastie
07-14-2005, 09:26 AM
I like AIO/SG but would not stop at just 2 coats. 3 is much better and 5 is over the top.

Shicks is right in that SG pops. You are noticed with SG. I use S100 instead of P21S and it kills the pop if I apply on top of SG on my metallic blue car. On silver, AIO and S100 is my personal fave.

SG is very wet and deep looking by any standard but certain carnaubas outdo it in the depth department (Souveran definitely).

imported_SHICKS
07-14-2005, 03:37 PM
I like AIO/SG but would not stop at just 2 coats. 3 is much better and 5 is over the top.

Shicks is right in that SG pops. You are noticed with SG. I use S100 instead of P21S and it kills the pop if I apply on top of SG on my metallic blue car. On silver, AIO and S100 is my personal fave.

SG is very wet and deep looking by any standard but certain carnaubas outdo it in the depth department (Souveran definitely).

I agree on the number of layers of SG. At least 3 but after that, I never see any gain, maybe more protection. SG give my cars that candy apple look, wet and very reflective.

SGx2

http://autopia.org/gallery/data/500/1899014runback.jpg

AIO + Souverean

http://autopia.org/gallery/data/500/18990caddysideafter.jpg

GEPC + S100

http://autopia.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=13757&size=big&ppuser=18990

AIO + s100 I think

http://autopia.org/gallery/data/500/18990photos_624.jpg

2clean4u
07-14-2005, 05:10 PM
SG is a must. Every spring I apply 3 coats of SG then my topper either souveran or s100. The sg will last the summer then in the fall I strip it down and start over for my winter detail. I apply the SG with the WOWO method. With the WOWO method removal is almost as easy as using s100. After the 3 coats of sg I will use souveran or s100 every couple of weeks and QD after every wash. It will make the car look like a show car and strill have maxium protection. One thing I noticed with 3 coats of sg is that when I get swirls its in the layers of SG and not the clear coat . Its makes the next complete detail alot easier to do. Its worth the time!