PDA

View Full Version : water restrictions

BigBoyinJersey
07-12-2005, 06:14 PM
What does everyone do when and if u get water restrictions here in new jersey where i live its a 250 dollar fine on the first offense and goes up from there. how do ya all wash your cars ?

rollman
07-12-2005, 06:18 PM
QEW or Spray & Wipe

Intercooled
07-12-2005, 06:53 PM
I wash anyways. I think my clothes washer uses more water!!! These water restrictions are a joke!

Setec Astronomy
07-12-2005, 06:57 PM
When we have water restrictions here, they usually allow you to use "gray water", which is used shower or laundry water, for watering or washing cars. Plus you can always go to the self-serve car wash. And stop talking about that...I can picture my lawn dying already.

Spilchy
07-12-2005, 07:10 PM
My friend who lives in Jersey (like myself) bought a home with his wife where you can`t wash your car!! I`d go insane.

Lucklily we rarely have water restriction except for extreme drought conditions like (I believe) 3 summers ago.

Currently resevoirs are at their highest levels. Sometimes I see in the NY Times Weather page that resevoirs in NYC area are over 100% capacity.

MorBid
07-12-2005, 07:16 PM
Use a pressure washer, they use less water

imported_themightytimmah
07-12-2005, 08:16 PM
Do it at night. When no one is looking :).

Tasty
07-12-2005, 08:19 PM
In NJ you can`t just wash your car in your driveway whenever you want to? That is weird. Is it a drought or is this all the time. That has never happened to me here in the Houston area.

Setec Astronomy
07-12-2005, 08:33 PM
As Spilchy said, from time to time we have a drought and they impose water restrictions. It`s usually no lawn watering, no car washing, no swimming pool filling. You get a ticket for violations (from the police). One year it was really bad and they told us we could use no more than 50 gallons/day per househould occupant. Supposedly they were going to monitor the water usage from the billing and do something about it. After every drought they supposedly do something to better connect the reservoirs, etc., so it won`t be so bad the next time <shrug>.

Mark77
07-12-2005, 08:43 PM
Wash in the garage, if you have one. Nobody can see what you are doing in there.

Spilchy
07-15-2005, 01:22 PM
In NJ you can`t just wash your car in your driveway whenever you want to?

No. You CAN wash your car whenever you want to! I wash 3 cars a week in my driveway and do dozens of details in towns around me with zero issues.

However, like in every state, some places in NJ restrict the use of watering and you can not wash.

imported_Jinba ittai
07-15-2005, 01:50 PM
Well, I guess I`m not the only one that cheated! :D Back in the days of the drought (I believe it was 2001 or `02) I washed in the garage, which wasn`t easy. A few times I pulled the car in the back of the house so it couldn`t be seen from the street and washed there. I didn`t have anyone living on that side of the house back then.

My rationale was that everyone was still watering their lawns. I think the law was ridiculous, especially the reason I had to wash my car was because it was raining so much! :wall

Anyway, there`s no reason to worry this year. The ground is so saturated that it goes *squish* when you walk on it and my grass is nice and green and still needs to be cut. Other summers it`s been brown with no need to cut it. No talk of a drought. In fact, we could use one. I like a nice, hot, dry summer. :xyxthumbs

toml
07-15-2005, 07:26 PM
What does everyone do when and if u get water restrictions here in new jersey where i live its a 250 dollar fine on the first offense and goes up from there. how do ya all wash your cars ?

A second vote for QEW :xyxthumbs You only need 1 gallon for the wash and something like 3-4 gallons for rinsing your wash mitt, pad, etc.

Setec Astronomy
07-15-2005, 09:16 PM
You`re here in NJ, Jinba? Whereabouts?