PDA

View Full Version : Different look when topping, than topper alone?

chevyguy28
07-11-2005, 01:57 PM
Hey Guys,

A very popular trend is to take a product that can exist as an LSP on its own, and then top with something to improve aesthetics. I`ve only topped Zaino with FMJ before, and that was only because I was lazy to strip off the Zaino. Looked great.

So is the final look a combination of the base layer and your topper, or is it mostly just a result of your topper?

Let`s take for example, SG topped with Souveran. Yes, you will get the signature looks that Souveran is known for, but would any of the SG`s high reflectivity also be apparent? Glazes are supposed to make a difference under carnauba waxes, but so logic would tell you that the result is some combination of the two.

Maybe you need to use two very different products. Since FMJ and Zaino are both high reflectivity products, it didn`t seem like FMJ looked a whole lot different over Zaino than by itself.

- J

imported_themightytimmah
07-11-2005, 03:13 PM
I think its more the last step than anything else. I had Blue Natty`s X2 topped by Souveran, and you saw more of the Souveran glow than the Natty`s wetness. It was definetly a half notch better than just Souveran alone, but at 3x the work, it wasn`t worth it. I go RMG + Souveran now, and it definetly adds a little something over just PS - not that Souveran needs it.

chevyguy28
07-17-2005, 10:18 AM
Based on DavidB`s e-book, it seems like you cannot even layer certain products without the solvents of the topper effecting the bottom layer. In the perfect shine section, he seems to allude to this, picking SG as his base rather than a polymer sealant.

Richt
07-18-2005, 12:46 AM
Depending on the topper used I find it will either add to, or change the look off the sealant beneath. Say you use a bright clear looking sealant like EX-P, add a clear looking Carnuba to the mix like #16, P21s or Nattys and it will enhance the clear wet look. Add a deeper looking topper such as Souveran or CMW and it will change tthe look to a darker, deeper look.

If you have already got a deeper wetter looking Sealant on already such as WG or EX with Carnuba, Clear looking LSPs seem to add more gloss, mantaining the look created, deeper ones will add even more depth.

Adding a sealant in before the wax topper does seem to give a slightly different look depending on the sealnat used IMO.

I find that in most case the sealants/waxes take on the apperance given at the polishing/glaze stages, ie a deep wet look created by rich glazes, will only get better when you seal or wax.

If you use two products that give different looks, the last one applied will change the overall apperance, two products that compliment each other the last will enhance the previous.

Intresting thread as I currently have #21 topped with 2 coats of Souveran over a decent prep, (#80, SRP, RMG and YCW) so far the finish is great, going to add a coat off Nattys on top to see if it mantains the deep rich souveran glow but with the added Nattys wetness.

Alfisti
07-20-2005, 06:42 AM
Interesting post Richt...I`ll have to read it again when I`m not so tired. :faint: