PDA

View Full Version : FLEX rotary usage...

Flatfour
07-11-2005, 01:12 PM
Some small questions about this rotary polisher (same as a Makita and so, nut on 220v )

- Do I need to "polish" out the amount of polish completely until everyting is dry , or is it advisable to leave a haze on the paint to buff out with a MF...

- What about the edges between fender-door and so on, do you have to polish till the edge or can you go over it (I think it`s not advisable because it leaves the edge full of polish-residu...)

- Sometimes, the polisher jumps in another way that I want, is there a certain "skill" to prevent this or is it just me that`s beginning polishing with a rotary ?

I have looked for a decent "How to" but besides the Meguiars video I found nothing very usefull...

the other pc
07-11-2005, 02:48 PM
- Do I need to "polish" out the amount of polish completely until everyting is dry , or is it advisable to leave a haze on the paint to buff out with a MF... A cutting polish doesn`t need to dry. You`re removing material (paint) not adding material (like a wax). Wipe off the polish residue while it is still slightly wet.

- What about the edges between fender-door and so on, do you have to polish till the edge or can you go over it (I think it`s not advisable because it leaves the edge full of polish-residu...) Be very careful about edges. The paint is very thin on edges and the spinning buffing pad tends to put more pressure/friction on edges. You can burn through the paint very quickly. Taping the edges is recommended so you don`t buff them at all when doing the panels. When you do buff the edges it must be done very delicately and precisely. There`s a very subtle technique to it.

- Sometimes, the polisher jumps in another way that I want, is there a certain "skill" to prevent this or is it just me that`s beginning polishing with a rotary ? Yes, there`s a skill to it. It comes with a lot of practice. That`s also why everybody says to practice on panels you don`t mind making mistakes on.

I have looked for a decent "How to" but besides the Meguiars video I found nothing very usefull...That is an excellent video. I don`t know of any other good ones.

PC.