PDA

View Full Version : Streak-free interior glass?

Pages : [1] 2 3

drewski59
07-10-2005, 09:27 AM
Now this is probably the bane of many detailers, but I`m really struggling with my interior glass. It seems that I`ve tried almost everything: lots of glass cleaners, mf, newspaper, paper towels.

But I can never get it streak-free, and it drives me completely nuts when the sun hits it! :shocked

My most recent technique is NXT glass cleaner with a new MF towel, but it still doesn`t work.

Please, if any of you achieve the elusive streak-free shine, please share with me your products and processes!

Much obliged :bow :bow

chml17l
07-10-2005, 09:46 AM
Autoglym`s Glass Polish is great for interior or exterior glass. It is a solvent based polish unlike liquid spray cleaners and it really cuts the vinyl haze build-up. I apply a few dabs on a paper towel and spread it across the windshield. It dries almost instantly and buffs off with a clean mf to the clearest streak-free windows I have ever seen.

whiteg240
07-10-2005, 10:07 AM
I usually use to MF towels to clean the windows. One to clean and another one to "buff" all the leftover streak marks. I use Stoners IG to clean windows. I have had no problems with this technique. Hope this helps.

imported_Sullybob
07-10-2005, 10:10 AM
I have had great success with Stoner`s IG. I used it exactly like the directions state, *cough* initially *cough*. Now I apply it to most of the window and buff with a MF once I have gone over the window several times (I try not to let the IG dry on the window) I flip to a dry side of the MF to get rid of the rest of IG residue from the window. I think that using a dry side of the MF or a new MF to remove the still wet IG might be the key to streak free windows for me. One thing that has also helped me is on the interior windows I wipe from side to side and on exterior widows I wipe up and down. This helps me to identify which side of the glass any streaks are on.

94BlkStang
07-10-2005, 10:46 AM
Ditto on the Stoners IG and microfiber. It`s been the best solution I`ve used. :xyxthumbs

Big Leegr
07-10-2005, 10:51 AM
Use a squeegee. A pro squeegee. It looks like the ones they sell for drying your shower walls. It gets between the glass and dash and as long as you aren`t pulling it "dry" it shouldn`t leave any streaks behind. You should cover the dash with a cloth to prevent the resultant drips from marking up your protectant, or falling into the vents.

Accumulator
07-10-2005, 11:03 AM
I keep going back to the polypropolene window towels from Griot`s. I`ve tried MFs (including a number of "glass towels"), but I like the polypro`s better. Usually use them with Zep 40.

Anthony O.
07-10-2005, 11:04 AM
Glass cleaners are 99% water, 1% surfacant. Stop wasting your money on water.

I don`t use window cleaner of any type on interior glass but my own homemade mixture which is distilled water and alcohol, maybe a drop or two of dish soap (pro window cleaning trick) and for real bad streaked (caused from int. materials gassing of) I`ll use a little vinegar or amonia.

One MF to apply the mixture and then a dry MF wash mitt (dedicated for this use only) to "buff" the glass clean. On my weekly cars I only need to use my cleaning mixture about once every 3 weeks. Other than that I only use my dry MF wash mitt.

Anthony

ZaneO
07-10-2005, 11:23 AM
I, too, have stuggled a great deal lately with streaking and smearing glass and glass cleaners. I`ve found a dry, short-nap MF and some distilled water to be my biggest help.

Bill D
07-10-2005, 12:13 PM
I`ve done it with a 2 step method with relative success. First, if it`s really bad I will use a foaming cleaner like Zep Glass Cleaner with a Glass Wizard. I will then follow with IPA:water or NXT Glass cleaner and a low pile MF I use only for glass cleaning ( Norwex works well but so does any MF marked for polishing or glass cleaning that has a low nap). This eliminates most of the haze and marks.

I`ll then inspect and whatever spots I still see I "mark" using a piece of blue painter`s tape so I don`t miss it when I go back inside the car to wipe it away. I do all of this inside a garage. I`ve tried it in the sun and it can be a disaster! It can be quite tedious. I`ve been known to spend most of a day tackling smudges and spots on interior glass.:(

jfelbab
07-10-2005, 12:13 PM
Glass cleaners are 99% water, 1% surfacant. Stop wasting your money on water.

I don`t use window cleaner of any type on interior glass but my own homemade mixture which is distilled water and alcohol, maybe a drop or two of dish soap (pro window cleaning trick) and for real bad streaked (caused from int. materials gassing of) I`ll use a little vinegar or amonia.

One MF to apply the mixture and then a dry MF wash mitt (dedicated for this use only) to "buff" the glass clean. On my weekly cars I only need to use my cleaning mixture about once every 3 weeks. Other than that I only use my dry MF wash mitt.

Anthony

The mixture I use is 1 part isopropyl alcohol to 2 parts distilled water and two drops of biodegradable dishwashing detergent per quart of solution. Works wonders especially when used with good microfiber towels. Like you, I get two to three weeks from a cleaning. I don`t use vinyl or leather treatments that outgas a lot.

I also get similar results from Stoners IG and Meguiar`s Glass Cleaner. The only difference I observe is the cost of product. The mix is just as good and costs a tenth of the packaged cleaners.

imported_pdsterns
07-10-2005, 12:26 PM
I`m no pro and I hardly ever clean really dirty interior windows, so maybe my method can`t stand up to bad situations but I`ve been using EO WAUD diluted with 2 parts water and a MF. Just spray on window or MF, wipe down totally, flip MF and buff. I hardly use my Stoner`s IG anymore but it is great for tougher jobs.

Anthony O.
07-10-2005, 12:28 PM
The mixture I use is 1 part isopropyl alcohol to 2 parts distilled water and two drops of biodegradable dishwashing detergent per quart of solution. Works wonders especially when used with good microfiber towels. Like you, I get two to three weeks from a cleaning. I don`t use vinyl or leather treatments that outgas a lot.

I also get similar results from Stoners IG and Meguiar`s Glass Cleaner. The only difference I observe is the cost of product. The mix is just as good and costs a tenth of the packaged cleaners.

:hifive: I used to love using Eagle One`s 20/20, great stuff...but then I was told about the make up of most glass cleaners and I was shocked....then ticked off that for years I must have spent hundreds and hundreds of bucks on glass cleaners alone! :mad:

Adios,

Anthony

RCBuddha
07-10-2005, 02:42 PM
I`ve found that using a spray bottle that has more of a "mist" and a clean WW MF towel yields the best results for me.

andriver
07-10-2005, 03:12 PM
Try 1Z Glas Polish. Works well on interior glass.