PDA

View Full Version : Carpet protection---is there a film/tape?

shumax
07-09-2005, 05:25 PM
I`m looking for the tape that comes in sheets that car dealers put on carpet when the car is new. It`s clear and is sticky on one side and slick on the other.

I want to apply this on the drivers side under my mat on the edges.

Thoughts on where I can find this?

Thanks!

Shumax

C. Charles Hahn
07-09-2005, 05:37 PM
You can get it in rolls, but it`s not cheap:

http://www.topoftheline.com/plascarshiel.html

imported_Gears
07-09-2005, 05:42 PM
You might try a builders supply place. I just saw some bricklayers use this in a carpeted hallway where they were working. The roll was 2 or 3 feet wide and they ran 3 strips 60 feet long.

chris03tl
07-09-2005, 05:45 PM
My wife had some cheap packaging tape lying around. Obviously its only 3" wide, but if you just wanted to do around the edges of a mat, it works well. I used it to go around some base molding I was painting in my bedroom. Sticks to the carpet and folded nicely under the molding. Painted away without worrying about dirtying the carpet, then just pulled the tape up right after I finished painting a section.

Should work the same on your car, and its a lot cheaper than the other plastic sheeting.

-Chris

stainbuster
07-09-2005, 06:31 PM
Shumax,

I`ve been buying the "TO BE REMOVED BY DEALER ONLY" capet mask from a company in Ft Lauderdale for several years now.

It`s a great add-on and good extra money from car lots.

Are you wanting to offer this as a service, or just some material for your car?

Do a little research before buying. I prefer the thicker (5 mil) material with the HD adhesive. Few bucks more a roll, but worth it. Most suppliers will send you a sample if you request it. You don`t want to get stuck with a 600` roll of crap material.

Mike

JasonD
07-09-2005, 06:38 PM
My local Home Depot sells a roll of protective film specifically for carpets and it wasn`t expensive at all. I believe the film was 24" wide, and worked perfectly.

shumax
07-09-2005, 07:09 PM
Shumax,

I`ve been buying the "TO BE REMOVED BY DEALER ONLY" capet mask from a company in Ft Lauderdale for several years now.

It`s a great add-on and good extra money from car lots.

Are you wanting to offer this as a service, or just some material for your car?

Do a little research before buying. I prefer the thicker (5 mil) material with the HD adhesive. Few bucks more a roll, but worth it. Most suppliers will send you a sample if you request it. You don`t want to get stuck with a 600` roll of crap material.

Mike

I just want to use it in my cars for the winter, only. I have the all weather matts, but crap always manages to get down around the sides. Irritates me.

I`ll check some of these suggestions out. Thanks to all!!!!!!

stainbuster
07-09-2005, 07:43 PM
Shumax,

Also be aware that capret mask has a "shelf life". Even though mine uses a water-based adhesive, I still wouldn`t leave `em down all winter.

Mike

shumax
07-10-2005, 04:24 AM
Shumax,

Also be aware that capret mask has a "shelf life". Even though mine uses a water-based adhesive, I still wouldn`t leave `em down all winter.

Mike

Interesting----good tip. So, what`s your thought on not leaving it down all winter---will the adhesive start to fail?

Thanks!

salty
07-10-2005, 10:31 PM
I buy it at Home Hardware in Canada for $9 a roll, but usually wait till it`s on sale for under $5. It is in the paint section. It says to not leave it more than sixty days on carpet.

C. Charles Hahn
07-11-2005, 05:07 AM
Interesting----good tip. So, what`s your thought on not leaving it down all winter---will the adhesive start to fail?

Thanks!

Most films I have seen state that they are meant to be on for no longer than ~90 days. Depending on how the winters are in your area, that may or may not keep you covered (both literally and figuratively).

jtopia
01-16-2008, 12:44 PM
the risk is adhesive may transfer over time, but in the winter it is less likely plus you`ll want to change it out to keep it looking fresh. there are no carpet fibers for the much to soak into :)

try this source: carpet protection (http://www.plasticover.com/protector/carpet-protector.html)

jshillin
01-16-2008, 01:21 PM
the risk is adhesive may transfer over time, but in the winter it is less likely plus you`ll want to change it out to keep it looking fresh. there are no carpet fibers for the much to soak into :)

try this source: carpet protection (http://www.plasticover.com/protector/carpet-protector.html)

Why did you bump a 2 1/2 year old post???