PDA

View Full Version : Zymol`s Glasur Estate Wax

Pages : [1] 2

jmsc
07-09-2005, 03:01 PM
A friend of a friend stopped by to see our latest detail (wash, Menzerna FP II, FMJ) on a fairly clean car. He liked the look of FMJ. Asked me if I ever used Glasur or if I knew anything about it. I stopped using the Zymol waxes 5 years ago. He wants to buy Glasur from the Zymol factory in CT and then wants us to detail his 996 Guards Red using Menzerna or Optimum polish using PC, HD-Cleanse and Glasur by hand.

Has anyone on this site used Glasur and if so how`s it compare to the other Zymol waxes?

lbls1
07-09-2005, 04:10 PM
Not sure. This is my first hearing of this one. I have to look it up. I hope the price is reasonable. The Estate Wax is the only wax I use on the main vehicle.

Edit: Never heard of this one. I checked the Zymol site, and that name doesn`t appear anywhere? Is your friend correct? Where did he see this wax, and does he have it already.

It could be a remote possibility that this is a brand brand new wax, although I`d think it would be on Zymol`s site.

jmsc
07-09-2005, 04:42 PM
Its been around since late last year. Its on zymol`s web site.

http://www.zymol.com/glasur.htm

BillyBarou
07-09-2005, 05:22 PM
He wants to buy Glasur from the Zymol factory in CT and then wants us to detail his 996 Guards Red using Menzerna or Optimum polish using PC, HD-Cleanse and Glasur by hand.

Is it possible to explain to him what an Autopian might do and how he would save money and likely get a better result?

lbls1
07-09-2005, 06:01 PM
Ahh....ok now it looks familiar. I may have seen that months ago, but I didn`t remember and I couldn`t find it today.

I am an Autopian, and I have used a gamut of waxes (some with highly toted reps but less than perfect in-person results), and Zymol will always be the staple wax for the signature car!

Sure wish that Zymol would run some 9.99 specials, however!

Edit: That is a good price for an Estate Wax, and it does have a good amount of Carnauba content in it. It should yield fantastic results, but I am biased, since I have yet to try it.

BottleHead
07-09-2005, 11:37 PM
Here`s another Autopian that is not afraid to admit using Zymol Estate waxes. I would recommend "Concours" or "Titanium" to anyone. They may be a bit more work to apply (in the case of Titanium, anyway) but the results will rival the local favourite, Souveran, and last far longer.

Zymol seems to be the local whipping boy hereabouts, and there are one or two notables who take every opportunity to trash the company upon every chance given. I can only assume they hold stock in TW or Pinnacle, for their claims and insults are oftentimes quite extreme.

I challenge anyone to try (fairly and without bias) one of the Estate Wax line products. I don`t work for the company, nor do I hold stock. However, I have used their products for many years and have found their real-world products (that means we`re not speaking about the kilobuck concoctions...I shall reserve comment on those until I am affluent enough to try them) to be well worth the price and effort spent. I am tired of seeing a company with a number of good products bad-mouthed by a few holier-than-thou malcontents.

This is one coat of Titanium applied by hand.

http://homepage.mac.com/simontemplar/.Pictures/SellVXWeb2.jpg

....BH

lbls1
07-10-2005, 04:23 PM
Hear, hear! I did such a challenge two years ago, and I was soundly convinced (broke, yes, but convinced).

blackf0rk
07-10-2005, 05:30 PM
Watch out for Zymol at Taget or Autozone. If it`s cheap (~$17/bottle), it`s not the real good stuff. You want to get the stuff in the glass container - like ~$40-50 a jar ;)

Casebrius
07-13-2005, 09:28 AM
Do you guys apply it by hand- literaly?

lbls1
07-13-2005, 06:51 PM
Yes, I do. I use latex with my estate wax, however. The latex adds an extra measure of safety from marring from the scales of your fingertips. DON`T use clear rubber gloves though....they marr like crazy.

chevyguy28
07-13-2005, 07:08 PM
Wonder if anyone is willing to send me a sample of Titanium, perhaps for some PO85RD or whatever they deem fair.

- J

05Sleeper
10-31-2005, 09:47 PM
yeah. I want a sample too!

imported_howareb
11-01-2005, 01:45 AM
I bought the Zymol Titanium when it first came out, and I was really not that impressed.

Maybe at this time I was not as well versed in the detailing "specifics`" so I might have to try it again.

I still have about half a jar left and this is about 4 years later.

The only thing I have been using it for was to detail my interior aluminum panels, which it has worked awesomly on.

That Isuzu looks great.

I am really set on Zaino, and the results that I have been getting comibined with the protection are just unbeatable for me.

I will give Zymol another try and see what happens, but I would think that during the winter it is not going to be easy to apply (I have no garage).

Last time I used it , I used it with the applicator (Zymol`s suggestion when I e-mailed them) and it was way too much product usage and a pain to get clean.

The jars that the wax comes in are not glass, they are plastic and very fragile.

05Sleeper
11-01-2005, 04:14 AM
If you re willing to sell it, please PM me ASAP! Thanks!

BottleHead
11-01-2005, 12:45 PM
Last time I used it , I used it with the applicator (Zymol`s suggestion when I e-mailed them) and it was way too much product usage and a pain to get clean.

The jars that the wax comes in are not glass, they are plastic and very fragile.

Yes, although Zymol touts the usage of bare hand application (for giggles and grins I tried it once, myself)....when pressed on the matter they`ll tell you an applicator works just as well. And....though not quite as sensitive to it as KSG...it does need to be applied a bit less thick than one might with other waxes. (I wouldn`t say it needs to be KSG thin....just not as thick as one applies something like Souveran or the like.)

That said, there is still a certain amount of elbow grease required to buff it out. Moreso than many other waxes. The first time I used it I was not at all impressed. In fact, when I finished there wasn`t much of what I`d call a shine at all. I was pretty upset that I`d spent an entire day on the project and would now have to spend another to remove and replace it with something else.

Imagine my surprise later that night, when I went out to the garage just before heading to bed, I found that it had cured into a very wet looking glossy finish that was better than anything I`d ever hoped for. I was absolutely amazed as I`d not had any prior experience at that time with waxes requiring curing times.

After it cures, it should be lightly buffed out a second time. But this is easily done and reuires little effort beyond the time spent. More like a quick QD`ing ...only without the spritz.

It was that first exposure to it (indeed, the experience that I just mentioned is the one single coat seen on the VehiCROSS in those pics) that sold me on Zymol. It takes a little more effort and one really should let it sit and cure for several hours. But the results really are top-drawer and they will last significantly longer than the more locally favourite quick-disappearing waxes like Souveran (a good wax to be sure....just not one that hangs about for any length of time.)

Personally, I have a garage.....so I make no promises on expected results if applied outside in cold weather. I suspect that curing time will go somewhat upwards...but that should be all. But, I`ve not tried it under those conditions.

As for the canisters.... I guess I never really expected them to be glass in the first place. But, I can see how someone might be visually misled into thinking they would be.

One thing I might mention. I have found that Zymol lasts longer in the cannister if kept cool. In fact, I keep all my waxes in a large ZipLoc in the bottome drawer of the refridgerator. Kept in this manner, I have had cannisters of titanium and concours last for two years....as that is how long it takes me to empty an entire cannister. The last bit was just as good as the first and I suspect they would keep for years longer...had I not used them up.

....BH