PDA

View Full Version : Dumb question about 4" pads

03Black1.8t
07-08-2005, 08:32 PM
I just received some 4" pads from TOTL. Does anyone every use these over the 6" pads. I find it harder to concentrate over a smaller area because the entire pad is not loaded fully. Seems like the 4" pad loads better and you can see where the product is going?

a.k.a. Patrick
07-08-2005, 09:20 PM
Just sounds like your not use to the 6"-7" pads......The 4" pads are more or less used for problematic areas and situations, not really for entire detailing jobs.

chevyguy28
07-08-2005, 10:11 PM
I use 4" pads for the entire car often, as it allows the PC`s power to be concentrated. The smaller pad also accepts more pressure before the pad begins to bog down, which means you can generate more heat. IMO it`s much more effective method.

The first reason I switched to a 4" pad and 3.5" backing plate was that my Elise hardly has a flat surface on the entire body. The smaller, flexible pad allows the buffer to move more freely and conform to the curves. It`s easier to get into tight spaces.

Another benefit I`ve noticed is that when applying LSPs with a finishing pad, you don`t waste a lot more product than you would with a regular applicator.

After becoming comfortable with the smaller pads, I started using it on my sedan, and that has gone well too.

Haven`t found any disadvantages yet. Perhaps you can do large panels faster with a larger pad, and perhaps more evenly, but it hasn`t bothered me. Open to hearing opinions though.

- J

chevyguy28
07-08-2005, 10:18 PM
I use 4" pads for the entire car often, as it allows the PC`s power to be concentrated. The smaller pad also accepts more pressure before the pad begins to bog down, which means you can generate more heat. IMO it`s much more effective method.

The first reason I switched to a 4" pad and 3.5" backing plate was that my Elise hardly has a flat surface on the entire body. The smaller, flexible pad allows the buffer to move more freely and conform to the curves. It`s easier to get into tight spaces.

Another benefit I`ve noticed is that when applying LSPs with a finishing pad, you don`t waste a lot more product than you would with a regular applicator.

After becoming comfortable with the smaller pads, I started using it on my sedan, and that has gone well too.

Haven`t found any disadvantages yet. Perhaps you can do large panels faster with a larger pad, and perhaps more evenly, but it hasn`t bothered me. Open to hearing opinions though.

- J

Nick M
07-09-2005, 07:18 AM
I use them more over my 6" pads and prefer the smaller pad on the PC for the same reasons as JustinTRW above.

Applying LSP`s is a breeze if I`m not in the `apply by hand` mood :up

MorBid
07-09-2005, 11:52 AM
I have some of those pads from TOL and use them alot on my Audi A4. They come in handy on pillars, bumpers, trunk lid any place a 6" or bigger pad either won`t fit or isn`t as effective.

mtwedt
07-09-2005, 12:10 PM
I use mine for the tighter areas on the car. I also use them with a short nap MF bonnet to buff the trim on my CR-V after applying VM to it. I had at least 10 weeks of deep black low gloss trim in Oregon rain on a garaged daily driver using this technique. I think they are also superb for focusing the power of the PC on specific defects in the finish, ie,,,localized scratches, etc... I have never regretted my investment in these pads and backing plate. They also attach to the Wolfgang Polishing Pal and I would imagine the one just out from Pinnacle. I also consider this one of the best purchases I have ever made.

the other pc
07-09-2005, 10:32 PM
The only real disadvantage to using 4†pads on an entire car is that it would normally take far longer than with 6†pads.

But, as you well know, the Elise is a very small car with practically no flat surfaces and lots of weird contours. If the 4†pads work better for you stick with them.

PC.

Alfisti
07-09-2005, 11:05 PM
Like some of the others, I use the 4" pads for tight areas and spot repairs on deeper scratches/marring. They can do almost rotary-like polishing.

I have no problems using the 6" pads (most are actually 6.5 - 7") and I simply don`t have the time to spend on the smaller pads on large areas.

If the larger pads are a problem then try using true 6" pads, like the SFX 6" which feel much smaller and still allow you to generate concentrated heat/pressure.