PDA

View Full Version : What to use on these wheels?

basementgeek
07-08-2005, 07:20 PM
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid175/p4e8acf7cce326154ef11e3c15b2ec183/f37ca8f8.jpg

I haven`t cleaned these wheels for a year! :o I just used Orange Blast Greased Lightning x3 AND Eagle One Tire and Wheel cleaner,with a brush and the inside of my rims still look like crap! And I scrubbed like hell.

Is there a product or technique that you`ve used that could help me? I`m looking at Wheel Wax or P21S but figured I`d stop lurking and ask the Autopians before I buy something that doesn`t work.

Thanks for your help.

imported_hadboosttroy
07-08-2005, 07:51 PM
that`s after cleaning?!? if that is the case, try clay or steel wool.

stevet
07-08-2005, 07:53 PM
i can`t see the pic.

imported_Sullybob
07-08-2005, 08:07 PM
Are they polished rims or painted? Its hard to tell from the picture. I would clay first. If that doesnt` work try some 000 steel wool and a metal polish like Mothers. Have you tried a paint polish on them?

basementgeek
07-08-2005, 09:04 PM
Yes that AFTER cleaning with 2 different cleaners and scrubbing!

The wheels are OE from a Mazda Protege 5. I think the inside of the wheels ( that`s what the picture is ) is just bare cast aluminium and the face of the wheel is polished and cleared? Not sure though.

Here`s a closer pic.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid176/p7c573a0757790e8caa7e5f3195b7433d/f358ad4a.jpg

You can see what looks like pitting. It was there before I used the cleaners.

Tasty
07-08-2005, 09:10 PM
Close up pic not working.

imported_themightytimmah
07-08-2005, 10:41 PM
I`d probably hit it with acid. In your case, you might want to try a polish instead. PB`s Pro Polish is a great chemical polish, stronger than AIO. Or if its real bad, maybe a gelcoat cleaner polish made for boats.

Alfisti
07-09-2005, 05:03 AM
What pictures?

basementgeek
07-09-2005, 11:12 AM
What pictures?

Should be working. I can see them. Imagestation might have been down?

I`ll attach some pics to this post in case others have issues.

Thanks for the suggestions so far guys! Looks like I`ll have to get mediaeval on these things.

paco
07-09-2005, 11:54 AM
It appears to me that the brake dust has embedded itself into the clearcoat of the painted wheels. That`s probably why no cleaner type of product is working. You`re probably going to have to polish it out if you really want to get them clean.

Be careful though, you don`t want to go through the clear or you`ll end up with premature clear failure inside your rims which leads to a lot of peeling.

I`d hit it with a light abrasive type of polish or chemical type cleaner like Klasse AIO. See how far you get then try and get the rest off with clay. I personally wouldn`t try and hit 100% removal. You can treat them the same way you do your paint.

I`d then top off with several layers of a high quality sealant (Z2Pro, SG, No. 21, FMJ etc.) and at the final step, put down some RainX wheel protectant.

Paco

imported_NHBFAN
07-09-2005, 11:56 AM
If you use #000 steel wool you`ll go through the clearcoat ... don`t know if that matters.

imported_Sullybob
07-10-2005, 09:19 AM
If you use #000 steel wool you`ll go through the clearcoat ... don`t know if that matters.

Would #0000 steel wool go through the clear as well?

I think the inside of the wheels ( that`s what the picture is ) is just bare cast aluminum and the face of the wheel is polished and cleared? Not sure though.

I would get some aluminum polish and try it on a small spot. If the rag turns black it isn`t clear coated. It might be a moot point though, it might be nearly impossible to tell if it is brake dust or aluminum oxidation coming off until you get all of the embedded brake dust off.

basementgeek
07-10-2005, 05:33 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys!

I did some testing with aluminium polish and found that the inner wheel is NOT cleared but the polished front face IS cleared.

Does this mean I should only use non-acid cleaners and steel wool/elbow grease on the uncoated side, or do you think acid is ok if i`m careful?

imported_Sullybob
07-11-2005, 08:07 AM
I could be wrong but I think that acid will damage your aluminum wheels.