PDA

View Full Version : Tire shine stained clearcoat!

imported_Brett K
07-08-2005, 05:53 PM
My god! What have I done? I just washed my wifes brand new minivan with 40 freaking miles. Put on some tire shine and she drove off before it had a chance to dry. She comes back and the white paint is now totally trashed with yellow spots. I had no idea this could happen. Is there anything I can do?

Intercooled
07-08-2005, 05:57 PM
Try claying the spots that should take it off. If it doesn`t, try a paint cleaner like AIO. I`m sure either will remove the staining.

imported_Brett K
07-08-2005, 06:12 PM
Try claying the spots that should take it off. If it doesn`t, try a paint cleaner like AIO. I`m sure either will remove the staining.

Tried claybar, acrylic solvent, and DACP with wool pad on my PC. Nothing removes it. There is no evideince that the clear is etched either as it feels totally smooth.

Intercooled
07-08-2005, 06:23 PM
Wow!! HMMMMM..... what tire shine product did you use?

imported_Brett K
07-08-2005, 06:32 PM
Wow!! HMMMMM..... what tire shine product did you use?

Turtle Wax Wet n Black. I just read it is petroleum based. :wall However, I am beginning to think this is an issue with the factory paint job. It seems as if there are stains under the clear. and I just noticed a spot underneath where the paint is slightly bubbled. It looks like I am calling the dealership tomorrow.

Intercooled
07-08-2005, 06:38 PM
IT does sound very odd. I would call the dealership also.. You have tried everything that i would have done.

Hopefully someone with more experience than us will chime in for you! Good luck!

White95Max
07-08-2005, 07:00 PM
Well I can tell you this...

I wouldn`t use that product anymore.

JasonD
07-08-2005, 07:02 PM
Could they have possibly already been there, and you are just noticing them now? Take a really close look at the rest of the car and see if you can find more of them.

03Black1.8t
07-08-2005, 07:11 PM
sounds like to me it was already there. I would take it back to the dealer and let him address the situtation.