PDA

View Full Version : Found a cool program on download.com

Pages : [1] 2

JasonD
07-08-2005, 01:50 PM
I love poking around on download.com to see what new tricks and tools they have, and found a program called Registry Mechanic. This is a really cool tool that keeps your registry maintained, and your computer in top performance. Here`s a quote from download.com:

Software Publisher`s Description

Registry Mechanic is an advanced registry cleaner for Windows that allows you to safely scan, clean, and repair registry problems with a few simple mouse clicks. Problems with the Windows Registry are a common cause of Windows crashes and error messages. By using PC tune-up utilities such as registry cleaners regularly, your system will be more stable, your software will run quicker, and your operating system will boot faster. Registry problems can occur for many reasons, including references left behind after uninstallation; incorrect removal of software; missing or corrupt hardware drivers; or orphaned start-up programs. With a few easy steps, Registry Mechanic will scan your entire registry for any invalid entries and provide a list of the errors found. You then can choose to clean each item or automatically repair them all after making a backup without the need for a registry editor such as Regedit. PC Tools products are free of spyware and adware.

Version 4.0 improves scanning speed and problem detection, includes a customizable ignore list for selective scan, and features an online Live Update facility.

Download.com Review of Registry Mechanic 5

Although not feature rich, this simple utility checks your registry for errors that can slow down and even crash your computer. Registry Mechanic finds a wide range of defects, including references to already uninstalled programs, missing help files, broken shortcuts, virtual devices, start-up programs, fonts, and configuration files. It also can automatically repair invalid entries at Windows start-up. If removing an entry causes problems with your system, you can restore the registry from backups. Users have a choice of Quick Scan or a more comprehensive Deep Scan, as well as a custom scan option. The aesthetically appealing interface is uncomplicated and easy to use, but Registry Mechanic is a one-trick pony. It does a great job on registry maintenance, but we would like to see other features to help keep computers running smoothly. Any computer user will find Registry Mechanic easy to run and a good way of keeping Windows in tip-top shape.

I`m usually skeptical about programs like this locking up my computer, but it didn`t do that at all. My computer is running about 25% faster, and shuts down in a fraction of the time it used to. Before running RM, and applying the tweaks I was running a memory load of 23% at idle. Now, after the tweaks applied, registry cleaned, and defragmented I am at a 20% load at idle. 3% doesn`t sound like much, but the computer is certainly responding to it. The trial version pretty much tells you how many errors you have, but it doesn`t really make any performace increases. I got bit by the bug and went ahead and purchased the full program, which was a little steep, but in the end was worth it, IMO.

I haven`t found a program that made this much of a difference since someone posted a link to the new Microsoft AntiSpyware program, which is awesome too by the way.

Anyway, if you`re one of those guys that just can`t leave your computer alone and wants an easy tweak, this is it. Have fun!

By the way, my computer is less than six months old and I had over 400 errors that RM found and repaired.

stilez
07-08-2005, 02:03 PM
Roger, checking :).

It`s running now...

edit: 229 problems...75 fixed for free.

JasonD
07-08-2005, 02:17 PM
Sean,

That`s about how many problems it found on my laptop. I didn`t notice any performance change with the trial version, and I really wanted to be able to defrag (compact) the registry since I`ve seen how much of a difference defragging the hard drive does.

I don`t know if this is available for during the free trial, but the button in the center that says "Optimize Your System". Click on this so that it switches to "Reset Optimization". This combined with cleaning up and defragging the registry is what really made a difference.

Enjoy!

Spilchy
07-08-2005, 03:36 PM
Thanks for the heads up.

I like those programs that will fine tune your machine.

I`m a big fan of security and I love SpyBot, Spyware Blaster, Webroot`s Window Washer and Safe XP.

I had 75 problems but didn`t notice any improvement in anything when I rebooted. Everything is as fast or slow as normal.

JasonD
07-08-2005, 05:30 PM
Spilchy, did you turn on the Optimize feature?

DSVWGLI
07-08-2005, 05:59 PM
Spilchy, did you turn on the Optimize feature?

Itried but nothing happened

JasonD
07-08-2005, 06:57 PM
If the button switches from saying "Optimize Your System" to "Reset Optimization", it`s on. It is an instant change, you won`t see a progress window or anything. Just restart your computer and see if it does anything. Like I said, mine responded very well to whatever tweaks it does, but maybe some machines are already running in opitmal modes to begin with. My programs open lightning fast now without any pause at all, and my system used to take about a minute to completely shut down and now only takes about 15 seconds.

You can also read how everything works if you go to Help/Contents.

JasonD
07-08-2005, 07:25 PM
I`m a big fan of security and I love SpyBot, Spyware Blaster, Webroot`s Window Washer and Safe XP.

After you said this, I went back to download.com to see what spyware programs they had and tried out Webroot`s SpySweeper. It found 48 threats that Microsoft AntiSpy didn`t pick up. Granted, they were only cookies but still threats. I have deleted MS AntiSpy and am now trying out SpySweeper to see how it does.

I tried SpyBot a while back, and it locked up every computer I put it in so I`m staying away from that one.

EDIT: I just noticed that SpySweeper has increase my memory load from 20% to 31%. That`s a big jump! I`m running 2GB`s of memory so that`s a 220mb jump in memory usage. :eek: Oh well, if it keeps my computer safer, no big deal. I don`t notice any difference in performance anyway. :spot

Lowejackson
07-09-2005, 12:34 PM
Spysweeper does use a lot of memory and is one of the slowest scanning programs but it does seem to dig deeper than any other program I have tried

JasonD
07-09-2005, 03:21 PM
Spysweeper does use a lot of memory and is one of the slowest scanning programs but it does seem to dig deeper than any other program I have tried

I`m still using the 14 day trial. Do you think it`s worth the money?

superstring
07-10-2005, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by JDookie

After you said this, I went back to download.com to see what spyware programs they had and tried out Webroot`s SpySweeper. It found 48 threats that Microsoft AntiSpy didn`t pick up. Granted, they were only cookies but still threats. I have deleted MS AntiSpy and am now trying out SpySweeper to see how it does. .....

Jason, have you tried Ad-Aware SE? (Also available free from download.com) I`m using it along with Microsoft AntiSpy and Spybot (no problems so far ;)) It`s very versatile, easy to customize and Ad-Aware ALWAYS picks up stuff that MSAS and SB don`t. Granted they are usually tracking cookies, but I think it would be well worth a try before you shell out for SpySweeper.

John

Lowejackson
07-10-2005, 11:36 AM

I think so. I have tried the Ad-Aware and for a free program it is very good but I did find Spysweeper found issues which Ad-Aware did not.

boywonder
07-10-2005, 02:44 PM
I`ve been using CounterSpy, Spybot (Just upgraded to the current version), AdAware SE, and MS AntiSpyware. I had SpySweeper and it worked well in terms of blocking spyware and cleaning. However, CounterSpy is quite effective.

I have also used:

Registry Mechanic

System Mechanic

Tune Up Utilities

Advanced Registry Optimizer

Advanced Uninstaller

superstring
07-10-2005, 05:08 PM
Well guys, this discussion got me all fired up and, after a bit more research, I ended by purchasing WinASO Registry Optimizer and WinASO Disk Cleaner! Ahh, the power of the Internet! :D So far, so good. Thanks for the thread (I think :D)

Cheers, John

chml17l
07-10-2005, 05:21 PM
Good link from the Windows Secrets newsletter on actual effectivness of adware/spyware software. It is published by Brian Livingston who is the co-author of Windows 2000 Secrets, Windows Me Secrets, and eight other books in the Windows Secrets series.

Anti-adware Misses Most Malware (http://www.windowssecrets.com/comp/050127/)

Now that 80% of home PCs in the U.S. are infected with adware and spyware, according to one study, it turns out that nearly every anti-adware application on the market catches less than half of the bad stuff.