PDA

View Full Version : looking for a polish or glaze WITH fillers!

Joetabasco
07-07-2005, 09:28 PM
I have gone over my car with some pretty Harsh stuff (Megs Diamond Cut 2.0)to try and get out all the scratches in teh clear. I am afraid I am taking off too much clear and dont want to go any further into the clearcoat. I was wondering what I can use that will help fill/hide these ungodly scratches on a Dark Marroon Metallic BC/CC paint job on my Mazda :angry

Please Help!

Maybe I am not using my PC properly... been using it on 6 after the product is spread around... will using it at a slower pace make a big difference? The product is worked in and has dissappeared after only a couple of minutes. :nixweiss

audipower
07-07-2005, 10:40 PM
If you do a search on this site. I don`t know if it works yet. Everybody will tell you start with a less abrasive first. Not with a cutting polish.

Here`s what I have for polishes. SFX Series of polishes and pads & Autoglym Paint Renovator. I also use AIO but I don`t consider that something that will get out aged swirls or scratches.

On a vehicle I always start with a less abrasive like SFX-2 polish and pad. I have it set to 4.5 and work a 4x4 area with slight pressure. I do about 3 passes and then turn it up to 6 and do 1 pass. It will be dry. If your not happy try again after wipping off residue. IF again it doesn`t work go to SFX-1 polish and pad or use orange DAS pad. Orange DAS pad has more cutting capability but you shouldn`t need it for swirls or light scratches. I only use those for sanding marks or 3000 grit rubbing compound marks. If you use #1 make sure go back to #2 to smooth out and then #3 to restore shine. You should be able to get out 90% of scratches and spider marks. If you can`t with that cover it with AIO and SG.

Check out my gallery on a `37 I did with that process and it had horrible micro mirroring, sand marks form a horrible painter.

I don`t know how the new clearcoats on Mazda`s are but I know like other Fords there thin so I would go crazy with that Meg`s Diamond Cut. You will thin the clear coat. That`s why I only suggest only using it once and keeping up on your car with proper washes (check How to`s on autopia-carcare.com) and using a light polish twice a year. I highly suggest SFX-3. PM if stuck

Joetabasco
07-08-2005, 06:13 AM
Thanks for the info. I have most of the meguairs line in the trunk of my car. I originally started out with #80 and went to #83 when that didnt get the larger scratches. I finally went to the Diamond Cut #85 for a couple of passes and finished off with #82 and then NXT for a wax. I guess I will just have to try again with a slightly revised process, or just give a couple of passes with #80 and just be happy with somescratches that cannot be removed . I have a gallon of Dupont clear, I suppose I can just fill them in and wetsand out if they are really driving me THAT nuts in the end. I have EXTENSIVE wet sanding experience so that doesnt bother me at all. I was just hoping to avoid that. If i still had access to a paint booth I would just give the car a couple of coats of clear and be dont with it!

klnyc
07-08-2005, 06:35 AM
The way I do is, I start out with #83(meg maroon color pad) then #80(white LC pad). Why you do 80 then 83?:nixweiss Btw, I`m using a Makita rotary fyi.

White95Max
07-08-2005, 06:39 AM
Why you do 80 then 83?:nixweiss

He started out with #80, but it wasn`t aggressive enough, so he moved up to #83.

wannafbody
07-08-2005, 06:59 AM
Megs #9 has fillers and leaves a nice shine-perfect under NXT

Joetabasco
07-08-2005, 09:12 AM
I will have to give that a try. Thanks again all... This site takes up at least 2 hours a day with learning all the options available to me! I love it.

SidiousXXX
07-08-2005, 10:16 AM
Audipower: total of only 4 passes? Geez I bet I do 20+ and on tough spots I hold the PC in place for a good15-30 seconds.

imported_themightytimmah
07-08-2005, 11:20 AM
Joe - Diamond cut doesn`t necessarily work to its full potential on a PC. You could probably get those marks out with a rotary and an orange or wool pad. If you don`t want to go the rotary route, for any number of reasons, there are a few good glazes on the market. My favorite glaze for defect hiding is Menzerna FTG, or One Grand Omega Glaze. Meg`s #9, Vanilla Moose or Red Moose Machine Glaze don`t hide as well as OG or FTG, but they`re easier to use and leave a great look, if the scratches arent too extreme.

steck
07-08-2005, 01:24 PM
3m swirl remover (dark or light cars) is loaded with fillers.

menzernal final touch glaze

OTC - mother`s step #2 (sealer glaze) just sounds loaded with fillers!!

atticdog
07-08-2005, 03:10 PM
try #80 then #81 then nxt

Joetabasco
07-08-2005, 08:26 PM
Thanks all. looks like my sunday is now filled with 1 thing to do!