PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Needs Help with PC and Meguiars Products

hkfeet
07-07-2005, 02:55 AM
I recently got hooked on waxing my car using megs products. I have the 3 step system, medallian cleaner, 2 bottles of detail spray, and 2 bottles of gold class liquid wax. I also have scratchx, and 3m rubbing compound to remove scratches but had no luck using them so thats why i am going to stop doing everything by hand. I been reading a bit here in the forum and noticed megs is not a very popular product here, so I plan to invest into some better products. I will be buying my PC 7336 at lowes tomorrow, I can`t wait!

I have a new silver 2003 mitsubishi and there are no swirls but there are some light scratches from my stupid dirty hose rubbing against my car. Other than that the paint is still real good but mitsubishi is real cheap about the paint, so its very thin and I have to be very careful not to burn it with the PC, I will be printing out the guide on how to use it properly.

What I want is to achieve is to give my baby some good protection and bring some nice shine out of it as well. With the products I currently have, what do you recommend I use for my car with the PC? I was thinking first I wash the car with some meg`s gold class shampoo/conditioner, and use the claybar to remove containiments. For my next step, Im wondering if I should attempt to remove the scratches first using scratchx or 3m rubbing compound? Or should I use my Meguiars Paint Cleaner instead? And after my scratches are buffed out, would I need to use a lot of Meguairs Paint Polish to bring out the shine and generally is more coats better? I really want some good shine out of my paint. For the final step, this is where I really need advice. Should I continue to use the gold class wax and if so how many layers should I put on it. I was reading about the NXT wax and hear it may be a good product for the final step or the step before the Gold Class, what would be best and how many layers of each for best protection? Or do you recommend I use some different waxes, like say a different brand or use paste instead? If the products I have is not that good, I am willing to try something else and sell the stuff I have now to friends. I want only the best for my car.

Last question is what kind of pads should I be using for each step? Hopefully I can get some advice before going to Lowe`s tomorrow in the afternoon so I can buy the pads while I am there, its quite a drive away and I would prefer not making a couple of trips :chuckle: Because I dont have any swirls, well I dont seem them, and because I only have a few light scratches, I probably dont need anything abrassive? Also I have read the size of the pads makes a difference so what size pads would you recommend for my PC 7336?

Im sorry to be asking so many questions, I am new to the forums, and a bit anxious to detail my car asap. I hope someone will be kind enough to help me newbie out.

I am open to ideas on what products to use, especially products that works best with the PC. Also because Im new to this, I don`t want to use any advanced products that will get me in trouble.

I will continue to dig and read the forums to find reviews on different products and stuff so I wont trouble you all much with these newbie questions.

Thank you for reading my long post, I will await your responses.

hkfeet
07-07-2005, 03:09 AM
Also when re-applying coats and such, say if I let a wax cure for 24 hours, do I just need to re-wash my car and reapply more wax?

White95Max
07-07-2005, 03:33 AM
1. Meg`s products are generally good, and many members (myself included) use them regularly. Gold Class is not one of the favored products though ;)

2. A PC is definitely a good investment. You won`t burn your paint with a PC.

3. From what you have, the Medallion cleaner could be used with a PC. I wouldn`t use the RC because you don`t have anything else to follow up with. An aggressive product like that will leave it`s own haze on the paint. You would need to follow up with a less aggressive polish to remove that haze.

4. Multiple coats of polish is NOT POSSIBLE! Polishes are abrasive. You cannot layer something that is abrasive. Each subsequent application of a polish will remove the layer before that, and many polishes don`t leave anything behind. Others will leave behind oils or fillers, to hide swirls.

I would get some Meg`s #80 Speed Glaze to use with the PC. It should be available locally.

5. "I want only the best for my car". Well then get your credit card out and start ordering products from online vendors. For silver, I`d suggest Klasse AIO + FourStar UPP + Nattys, OR AIO + Wolfgang Deep Gloss Sealant + Nattys.

6. Most likely you DO have swirls, but silver and white paints hide swirls very well. It`s up to you whether you want to remove the swirls that nobody will ever notice.

7. I`d recommend you order pads and a backing plate from http://www.exceldetail.com I`m not familiar with the pads available at Lowe`s. Get some 6-7" pads for the PC. Some members here also use 4" pads.

8. After applying wax, if your car is outside, I would wash it before reapplying another coat of wax. If it`s been sitting in the garage with the door closed, I`d just dust it off, and use a QD.

Alfisti
07-07-2005, 04:29 AM
I been reading a bit here in the forum and noticed megs is not a very popular product here, so I plan to invest into some better products.

Actually, Megs is quite popular here. Don`t let others put you off the brand, which is very good.

Megs has many great products, and many not so great, but that`s true of all brands.

I use Megs, Mothers, TW, EO, and products made by other OTC brands. I also use many brands that are online bought and `boutique` brands. One doesn`t just have a hammer in his toolbox...there are many tools.

Please don`t fall into the believe that if its OTC is not as good as `boutique`. Some may believe that and they`re wrong.

I`ll get of my soapbox now. :D

hkfeet
07-07-2005, 05:17 AM
Well it`s good to hear I only used 1 coat of polish the last time I washed/waxed my car, go me!

So can I just replace Step 1 Paint Cleaner with using the Meguiars Medallion Paint Cleaner on the entire car? Or should I use Step 1 Paint Cleaner for the whole car, and than use the Medallion for certain areas with scratches and swirls? Or is the Medallion the same as Step 1? LOL I didnt get enough sleep last night, so I might sound a little confusing

Thanks for the recommendations Max95, I`ll look into it. I also have a max 95 se, in black, how is yours holding up? Mine is pretty beat but still going.

White95Max
07-07-2005, 09:27 AM
Mine`s holding up pretty well. I`m selling it now and getting a ZX2 5spd. I need something for heavy commuting for the next 2 years. Premium fuel is a b*tch ain`t it? After the two years, I`ll probably look into an `03 Max 6spd, or a Mazdaspeed6.

The Medallion Paint Cleaner is similar to the Step 1 cleaner. I don`t think there`s any reason to use both.

AFAIK, Medallion isn`t made for swirl removal, so you`d probably be wasting your time there. Get a polish like #80 Speed Glaze for that.

hkfeet
07-18-2005, 05:43 AM
Hey guys I just bought the porter 7336sp and about to purchase the Sonus SFX Foam Pad Kit. Is the kit all I need to get started besides the polishes, cleaners, and waxes?

JustinR32
07-18-2005, 07:51 AM
:welcome to Autopia!

That`s a good start, the Sonus pads are excellent. I`d actually get two sets; you might drop a pad, after all. You don`t want to go making compromises in the middle of a job.

Yes you can replace the Step 1 with the MPPC. MPPC is stronger and works faster. Use lots of ventilation, though, you can get light headed from it!

I`d start by attacking the hose marks with ScratchX by hand, using a terrycloth applicator. Then for the whole car: MPPC with the middle grade pad, then Deep Crystal Step 2, and finish with Gold Class or the Step 3. You can apply the last two products either by hand or with the PC; if you are a new PC user, I`d recommend using it with the Step 2 on a low speed like 1 or 2, just to get a feel for the machine.

Is the Gold Class the old formula or the new? The new formula says, "Our most reflective Gold Class wax ever!" on the top of the label. I never liked the old formula, but the new one is pretty good.

If you want to try stonger polishes or different waxes, you`ll find a lot of different opinions here. ALL of the products will produce OUTSTANDING results. But there will be a few that give you consistent results and work best for you. Look through the reviews and ask questions. Have fun, and post pictures!

(edit) The best place for Meguiar`s specific information is the Meguiar`s Forum (http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/index.php?s=). They are very friendly and super helpful; you`ll see a lot of the same faces there, and some new ones as well.

Tom

hkfeet
07-18-2005, 01:04 PM
Cool I checked it and it does say "Our most reflective..."

I was too anxious this morning to buy the pads and stuff so I just bought only 1 set, I guess I`ll order another one. Yep there is so much stuff to read on this forum, I thank everyone who taken some time to help me out. I never would have thought detailing a car can be this fun until now. Doing everything by hand was a lot of work, and too much for my achy back, thank you porter cable!

White95Max
07-18-2005, 02:01 PM
The old bottle says "Our most reflective wax ever" doesn`t it? It`s a black bottle with a black Mercedes on the front.

JustinR32
07-18-2005, 03:10 PM
Yeah, the old bottle bottle says "Our most reflective wax ever" halfway down and the new bottle says "Our most reflective Gold Class wax ever" at the top.

New: See it says it across the top,

http://www.motorgeek.co.uk/images/gold-class-liquid-car-wax.jpg

Old: it says it midway down,

http://next2.web-cars.com/detail_img/mgr_gld-css_wax_a_s.jpg

Tom

hkfeet
07-19-2005, 02:55 AM
Hey tom you been very helpful, I still have a lot of the megs sitting around so Im happy I can make use of it all instead of having to rebuy everything. I`ll have a pic up asap! Im getting new wheels and other goodies for my car atm, it will be a nice shiny suprise when its all done.