PDA

View Full Version : Just finished polishing with Autoglym Finishing Polish 01B

mixxmstrmike
07-06-2005, 09:27 PM
I did a Dawn wash to eliminate any previous waxes and clayed after the Dawn wash. I have an 05 Lexus IS300 so the paint is relatively problem free with the exception of micro-marring which I asked about in a previous thread.

I`m waiting for my AIO twins order. I have already polished the paint using Autoglym 01B. The car has been sitting under a car cover since the polishing. My question is : Should I still polish with AIO or go directly to SG?

Let me clarify that after the 01B polishing, the micro-marring was lessened and very minute scratches were "polished" out.

Thanks in advance for any input!

-Mike

Alfisti
07-07-2005, 02:51 AM
Mike, I think you`ll need to use AIO as a base for SG. I`m not sure that SG bonds to much else. :nixweiss

Can I ask you a question on 01B? I inherited a bottle and tried to hand apply it...streaked and was impossible to remove. You obviously got great results. How did you use it? By PC? Can you write a brief tutorial how it`s best used? Thanks. :D

SVR
07-07-2005, 03:31 AM
I have had a 1 litre bottle of this for a couple years. It smells beautiful and does not contain solvents and voc`s which is great

Using it by hand is a nightmare but I`ll give it a go with my rotary on the weekend on a daily driver hilux I have which needs work

mixxmstrmike
07-07-2005, 10:51 AM
Mike, I think you`ll need to use AIO as a base for SG. I`m not sure that SG bonds to much else. :nixweiss

Can I ask you a question on 01B? I inherited a bottle and tried to hand apply it...streaked and was impossible to remove. You obviously got great results. How did you use it? By PC? Can you write a brief tutorial how it`s best used? Thanks. :D

A little background before I try to explain my proceedure as it`s very similar to what I`ve read here on Autopia. I`ve been reading over the past months to a year on people`s way of polishing. What I keep in mind is all polishes work differently. The Autoglym 01B is a very light polish in my opinion and some here have likened it Menzerna FP.

I used a Meguiar`s yellow pad with the PC set to 4. I did not apply a QD to the pad beforehand and thankfully so. 01B is a very liquidy substance as you may know, and it wants to disperse throughout the pad and a dime-sized amount on the pad really does go a long way.

I worked on a very small surface area (1`x1` to 1.5`x1.`5) with that dime-sized amount and worked the polish to a very slight haze... close to the point of drying up. At this point, I buffed it out with my MF towel. I repeated this method on the same spots throughout the vehicle as the micro-marring was a little worse in certain areas.

For very VERY light scratches, I ended up using a little more than the dime-sized portion and applied 2 - 1" sized portions on the outter perimeter of the yellow pad. I let the 01B fully saturate onto the paint to the point that you can see some of it being squeezed out of the pad itself, without putting any added weight onto the PC. Keeping the PC speed at 4 helps keep the 01B on the pad and prevents slinging. I let the weight of the PC AND the polish itself do the work. I did not do a lot of movement while trying to remove these scratches. I simply guided the PC onto the scratch(es) and let it work `em for about 30 seconds to a minute (perhaps a little longer though, I wasn`t exactly timing it). With so much of the 01B on the paint at this point, it will not dry out within the minute so while it`s still wet, I constantly wiped it down to see its effects. If the scratch was still there, I then continued to polish, adding just a tad bit more 01B to the pad. The Lexus paint, IMO, is very soft so I didn`t want to risk any unnecessary damage or over-polishing. Better to be safe than sorry further down the road. The polished product leaves behind a semi-slick feel to it.

Hope this helps but send me a PM if you have any other questions or if you feel that your question may help others out, go ahead and post it on this thread.

Good luck,

Mike

Alfisti
07-08-2005, 03:54 AM
Thanks, Mike. That`s a very good explanation. :up

It`s unusual how it saturates the pad so much...glad you offered some pointers. When I try it I`ll make a post on it.

I hope someone answers your Klasse question soon.