PDA

View Full Version : Please help ... PC hurting my car, I think

Pages : [1] 2

benoh
07-06-2005, 05:00 PM
I recently purchased a PC, trying to remove a lot of small scratches / spider webbing. I just tried using it on my hood and it seems that the PC and / or the pad and polish I`m using is making it worse by putting hologram / swirl marks on the car.

I did the following steps ... maybe I did something wrong.

Washed the car with Adam`s car wash

Clayed the car with Claymagic

Dried the car with a cotton towel

Use Adam`s black pad (http://www.adamspolishes.com/site/product.cfm?id=567A4246-59F4-4CD3-9612FC0E8E5A9D5C) (from the white / black pad & backing plate combo)

with 3m Perfect It - Swirl Remover for Dark colored cars (39009)

and i stopped there because of the swirling / hologram. I had the PC speed @ 4.

What am I doing wrong? How do I remove the swirls I just put on? Help!

buellwinkle
07-06-2005, 05:08 PM
Are you holding it flat against the paint, how fast/slow are you moving the buffer, how much product are you using for a given size area, are you buffing until dry or stopping while still wet?

You could sign up at meguiarsonline.com for their detailing class, they go over proper use of the PC, pads and polish. Also, if you specify the city, maybe someone in your area that`s sucessful with their PC can show you how it`s done.

benoh
07-06-2005, 05:15 PM
i am holding the PC flat against the paint.

As for how fast I`m going ... it`s really hard to explain, but it`s not really slow.

As for the product, I probably used about a good gloop of it, about the size of a half dollar

I buffed till it was still wet ... perhaps it was dry. I`ll give it another try and see how it goes.

Also, I`m in Fullerton, California.

benoh
07-06-2005, 05:59 PM
just got back from giving it another try ... i got most of the swirling i put on off ... but still don`t see any results with the paint. it looks exactly the same.

imported_themightytimmah
07-06-2005, 06:11 PM
3M dark SMR will often hologram by itself. I don`t know why it does this but I`ve had it happen before, theres no paint damage because of it. Also, the black pad is so soft, it`ll never do anything correction wise.

Get the following:

6" Orange pad

PB`s SSR2.5

PB`s SSR1

Use SSR2.5 via orange @6

SSR1 via white @6

Seal/wax as desired

The black pad is fine for applying waxes, but it is pretty much useless, otherwise. Don`t be afraid of the PC, it is 99% impossible to do damage with it. Hell, I run a rotary, and I haven`t done any damage in the 20 cars or so I`ve used it on.

imported_Bence
07-06-2005, 06:35 PM
It is not the appropriate combo. Maybe the black pad is too delicate for swirl removal, and you are using too little product. Another mistake: Speed too low.

While Adam uses his b/w pad colors inversely (back for polishing, white for waxing), it still may be good for polishing. Don`t know these pads.

Solution: slap the polishing pad on (Adam`s black or a good white - even orange - one from a known vendor), bur before that, check its surface! If you can`t find any contaminants, dirt, etc., pour a decent amount of polish on it. A nice spiral will do; and use the polish liberally! At first, you may feel that the pad is a bit stiff. Smear and spread the product with the machine turned off (20×20 inch area). You may feel a little grittyness, or - when using a finer polish - sandyness from under the pad. Then lay your pad on the surface, and start the machine @ 4. In a nice systematic pattern, cover the whole 20×20 area. When you take a close look, you may see tiny dots (the abrasives, actually), and still feel some coarseness. Not problem, just keep the machine moving. SLOWLY! That means 2-3 inch/sec. When you covered the whole area pretty good, kick the speed up to 6, to break down the abrasives. This way they will finish up significantly finer. You will feel that the sandy feel disappears, and you won`t see tiny abrasive-grains any more, just a fine hazy layer of product. Move the PC even SLOWER, and because this time the pad is already softer, you can apply a little bit of pressure. Just push the pad down to make it a little bit puffy (when necessary). Continue polishing until the product produces a finer haze but still wet. Don`t wait until it dusts. Remove with a MF. As necessary apply more polish, but this time a bit less. Polish again, remove, inspect.

If you are satisfied, stop and top it. If not, chime back :D!!!

buellwinkle
07-06-2005, 08:55 PM
Mike of Meguiars just posted a good article on how to use the PC on their website. You have to move slow, very slow and use a good amount of pressure. In the 3M line I would use their Finesse-It II machine polish but really you should be using a dimishing abbrasive for a beginer like Meg`s #80 or #83. Perfect-It II is a rubbing compound and should be used for extreme cases where you are removing a deep scratch or sanding marks and with a rotary buffer and a wool pad. Also, a PC will draw product to the center of the pad, the opposite of a rotary buffer so don`t put product in the center, it will not get evenly distributed on the pad. Put a bead around the pad near the edge, blot in a few areas around where you`re working to spread the product out and turn the PC on/off only while it`s pressed against the car. My office is in Orange if you are still frustrated.

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7034

imported_ajbarnes
07-06-2005, 09:16 PM
I too believe it is the pad you are using. Most companies that produce black pads, those pads are used for final buffing after polishing, sealing, waxing, etc. Maybe you need a more aggressive pad and polish such as the other`s were mentioning.

benoh
07-07-2005, 01:42 AM
3M dark SMR will often hologram by itself. I don`t know why it does this but I`ve had it happen before, theres no paint damage because of it. Also, the black pad is so soft, it`ll never do anything correction wise.

has anyone else had the same results with the 3M SMR hologramming?

182_blue
07-07-2005, 01:58 AM
like on the megs site i use megs 83 on mine (with orange sonus das pads), this slightly dulls the paint, you then go over with megs 80 (2 passes on a sonus green pad), this is a tried and tested combo and wont leave the marks you talk about , its well worth a go

JamRWS6
07-07-2005, 02:34 AM
has anyone else had the same results with the 3M SMR hologramming?

Yes, I`ve had the exact same thing happen.

benoh
07-07-2005, 02:54 AM
Yes, I`ve had the exact same thing happen.

What kind of pad were you using? could you be specific on what you were using? I searched the site and it seems people don`t really have a problem with the SMR 39009 ... but I could be wrong

Accumulator
07-07-2005, 08:26 AM
benoh- I think you`ll find a *lot* more people who *don`t* like that 3M SMR than people who *do* like it. It probablay "looks the same" because the SMR has *very* mild (as in, *too* mild) abrasives and a lot of fillers. Unless you`re using a rotary the abrasives won`t do much, and unless your marring is very mild the fillers won`t hide it. Save yourself frustration and try a different product.

For good results with the PC, let alone when just starting out, I`d recommend the Meg`s #80. Nice results with a good steep learning curve. Just get a polishing pad, work the #80 until it turns from green/brown to clear, wipe off before totally dry, and admire the great results.

Oh, and I`d quit drying with the cotton towel, it could well be causing the marring you`re struggling to get out ;) And at the risk of sounding snarky, the video on the Adams website about how to wash a car is more like "how to scratch up the paint of your car". Good wash technique is the foundation of good detailing, and that`s a good example of how *not* to do it.

benoh
07-07-2005, 10:13 AM
i was thinking about getting a microfiber towel for drying but ... from what ive seen, the cotton towel isnt creating new swirls and sscratches but I really can`t tell since the paint is really scratched. As soon as I polish most of the swirls off ... I`m sure I can tell.

Currently, I`m going to try to use the Adam`s black / white pad later on today with the Swirl Remover and the Revive. I`m sure that Adam created this combo for a reason, and hopefully, it`ll remove some of the swirls caused by the 3M SMR.

I`ve been searching the forum for people who have used the Adam`s black / white pad combo with the swirl remover / revive - exactly how Adam uses it in the video (@ 4 on the PC - 90% revive / 10% swirl) ... but I tried a 50/50 mix of the revive and swirl, but didnt get any good results.

I`m probably going to try the SSR2 / SSR2.5 with a yellow / orange cutting pad later on, but as for right now, I just want to repair the damage caused by the 3M SMR.

I just want my car to be normal =(

imported_Bence
07-07-2005, 01:54 PM
If you already have the SSR 2.5 and a yellow/orange pad, why wait??? That WILL repair the damage...