PDA

View Full Version : Higher gloss - polish that begins finer or diminishes finer?

chevyguy28
07-06-2005, 03:22 PM
In theory, you should always use the finest polish that accomplishes the job, correct? But what if a more abrasive polish diminished to a finer state?

Since I have not yet bought ZCP, the polish leaving the highest gloss on my shelf could be PO85RD. On a scale of 1-10, it`s abrasiveness is about 3. I consider it more than a burnishing polish, because it removes mild swirls.

However, I don`t need a polish capable of removing mild swirls. Just something for very mild polishing before laying down an acrylic wax, like Klasse AIO or Werkstatt Prime. On a scale of 1-10, Prime is 1-2 in abrasiveness, but mostly chemical cleaners rather than physical abrasives.

AIO/Prime are more appropriate in this situation (very mild, not very abrasive) given the kind of polishing I wish to accomplish. Yet could PO85RD leave behind a more glossy finish?

I`m not sure which diminishes to a finer state and leaves behind a more glossy finish. At the same time, PO85RD is definitely more abrasive, which is unecessary. Is it possible to burnish to a higher gloss than a product like PO85RD, even if you use a finer polish?

Thanks,

J

imported_themightytimmah
07-06-2005, 04:41 PM
In my experience, polishing with PO85RD leaves a better finish than blue PwC. Paint is rarely quite perfect, even if it appears swirl free, and PO85 removes whatever micromarring might be left from drying, road dust, etc.

chevyguy28
07-06-2005, 04:44 PM
Good point. Do you think subsequent applications of AIO/Prime as a base for the acrylic wax would dull the finish?

Edit: To clarify, I mean applications of AIO/Prime down the road, after PO85RD application. If AIO/Prime does not burnish to as high a gloss as PO85RD, then perhaps applying it afterwards could dull the finish. Just thinking outloud here.

randomman84
07-06-2005, 05:26 PM
It wouldn`t dull the finish but layering them is kind of redundant because its a cleaner wax and just removes itself when applied more than once. IMO

Anthony O.
07-07-2005, 04:49 PM
It wouldn`t dull the finish but layering them is kind of redundant because its a cleaner wax and just removes itself when applied more than once. IMO

Man ... I wished more people would realize that!!

Anthony

audipower
07-07-2005, 10:10 PM
Commen sense. I have people on here tell me they put NXT over AIO and SG. I try to tell them but they are so dead set on it.

I like SFX-3 for a nice finish polish or twice a year polish. Gives nice shine on some details I do twice a year.