PDA

View Full Version : Wasting Zaino... Applicator Question.

sillystanger
07-05-2005, 10:33 PM
The problem: I`m an idiot and it takes me 2-3 oz. of Z2 for one coat on my Mustang. (I believe I should only be using about 1 oz per coat)

I apply Z2 (Z2Pro w/ the prescribed amount of ZFX) with the Zaino-supplied applicators as thinly as I can and it buffs off easily when dry so I don`t believe I`m layering it too thick. I guess my problem is with the sponge in my Zaino supplied applicator sucking up too much Z2. Now, I`ve dampened the applicator with water and even spritzed on some Z6 but that didn`t help.

I`ve read a suggestion to open the applicator up, take out the foam and spray the foam liberally with Z6 and then put it back in the cloth shell. That sounds like a good idea and I will give it a try but, it has me wondering... does the sponge need to soak up any Z2 at all to help apply/distribute the polish??? If not, when I remove it, should I just wrap it up in plastic wrap and put it back in? So, the sponge will still provide the firmness to apply the polish evenly, but only the cloth part would soak up and distribute the Z2. (how come I get the feeling that this is a really stupid idea that I`m going to attempt even when presented with a logical explanation as to why it`s a bad idea??? :chuckle: )

Scottwax
07-05-2005, 10:42 PM
I used a Meguiars foam hand pad, dry. Works great. Used maybe just over an ounce of product to apply 3 layers to my brother`s Odyssey.

salty
07-05-2005, 11:04 PM
I always start with a slighty Z6 damp pad and add a good line of Z2 to start. After that Z2, a drop or two at a time. I add a couple drops or a quick spritz of Z6 to make it spread easier every couple panels. I use 1/3 to 1/2 oz per coat.

sbkang
07-05-2005, 11:20 PM
A note on thickness ... it may still be too thick. When I apply Zaino it`s hard to see if it`s going on -- that`s the right thickness for me. It looks like a sort of greasy sheen on the paint more than a wax.

That said, I like your idea of wrapping the foam in plastic. That`s clever. I don`t think, though, that much is really going into the pad.

On a side note, I picked up some Meguiar`s Gold Class MF/foam applicators at Pep Boys this weekend. They look like the Zaino applicators but with a lush microfiber surface. Also a touch thicker than the Zaino applicators, easier to hold, and the thing doesn`t seem like it will fall apart like my Zaino applicators all do. Worked a treat to apply the new Mother`s Reflections to roommate`s car. Very nice experience overall -- this is my new favorite applicator.

sillystanger
07-06-2005, 12:13 AM
wow... didn`t realize that you guys are getting mulitple coats per ounce. Boy, I really am wasting product here. I think JamesLA is probably right in that I must still be layering it on too thick (so much for making the applicator take all the blame). Hhhhmmm, I`m again going to have to defer some of the blame elsewhere though, to my paint... It`s really hard to see Z2 on my paint (or pollen for that matter) which is a soft green metallic color (pic here http://autopia.org/forum/showthread.php?t=55502). Has anyone noticed that it can be significantly harder to see Z2, as your applying it, depending on the color of the car?

I put on the thinest layer that I can visibly see so I`m not sure how to improve applying a thinner layer visually. I`ve recently picked up a PC, would that possibly apply it thinner? Well, in the not too distant future I`ll be applying the Z5/Z2 to my red Neon. After seeing the Z2 on a different finish, I should be able to determine if the Mustang`s paint is visually masking the polish at all. I`ll still pursue a better solution with the applicator though as I know I`ve let it soak up too much polish.

sbkang
07-06-2005, 01:13 AM
It`s harder for me to see on a lighter car. My new car is silver and it`s tougher than the old dark metallic green car. My white car (two cars ago) was very difficult. It`s easiest for me to see if I get down and look straight across the panel I`m working on; then the covered area and the untouched area are clearer.

I also go in a very systematic pattern so I know which area I have covered. FWIW, my pattern is to find an area naturally defined by the panel`s lines, and run the applicator all around the edges of the panel (regardless of horizontal/vertical/whatever -- I just go right around the edge). Then I start at one end of that area and do slightly overlapping stripes in one direction all along the work area, from one end to the next. I never choose an area longer than I can cover in a single stroke. So, doing the roof, for example, I will generally do it in four quarters; first step is to wipe around the edges of the quadrant I`m doing, then fill in with stripes. And so on. Dab a little new product on the applicator every new section or so depending on the size of the area and how confident I am that it`s covering well.

kustomsol
07-06-2005, 06:11 AM
Sometime ago on this forum, the use of a pc to apply Zaino`s sealants was discussed. Spritzing the pad with Z-6 and then using it to apply Z-2 or Z-5 was suggested. I tried it and it works great.

kompressornsc
07-06-2005, 06:26 AM
IMHO, the `free` Z applicator is Sal`s way of selling more product. :chuckle:

I think it sucks up a lot of z unnecessarily. My first time was with that applicator, then I switched to a folded mf towel-which was even a bigger mistake / product waster. Best thing I`ve found is the Viking Handi-Grip Applicator. Easy to hold in one hand and put a dab of Z on, easy to contort into tight spaces, and soaks up very little product. I can cover my entire car in less than 5 minutes using about 1/2 ounce. Basically, with one of the 2 oz. bottles in one hand (held upside down) and the applicator in the other, after you do one panel, while you`re moving to the next, you apply more product to the pad and off you go! I have tried it via PC w/ a black pad & found it more time consuming and just not worth the effort-others disagree, but I found it similar to swatting a gnat with a sledgehammer.

imported_steveo3002
07-06-2005, 12:44 PM
i feel these applicators use up alot more product than you need to use...i use a small soft cloth to apply then throw it away after use.

Alfisti
07-06-2005, 07:56 PM
sillystanger, when I need to apply liquid or watery waxes, I also try to save product.

In your initial post you mentioned something similar to what I do.

I wrap a foam applicator in cling wrap, then wrap that in a medium-plush MF towel. I gather the overlapping MF at the back of the applicator so that only one layer of MF is on the paint surface when applying.

This way only enough product is absorbed to wet the single MF layer and none gets into the foam. The foam helps cushion the application and makes it more comfortable to use.

I`m thinking of cutting up a MF and gluing it to a plastic-wrapped foam applicator as a permanent device.

On a similar note, when using a PC with these type of products (especially watery ones like AG EGP and SG) I wrap a flat pad with one of those elastisized plastic food covers that looks like a shower cap. It becomes a plastic bonnet. Then I cover that with a plush MF bonnet. This produces great coverage, less product wastage, pad stays clean and it works quickly.