PDA

View Full Version : Polishing question using PC

Anthony8858
07-05-2005, 09:28 AM
I`m new to using a machine for polishing. In the past, I`ve only used elbow grease, and lots of sweat. :buffing:

When using polish, when do I stop the PC to use the micro-towel?

Do I keep buffing with the PC until the polish disappears?

Or do I simplyuse the PC the apply thepolish to a haze, then switch to a different applicator to remove the polish?

Sorry. I`m a little confused.

Accumulator
07-05-2005, 10:52 AM
1)When using polish, when do I stop the PC to use the micro-towel?

2)Do I keep buffing with the PC until the polish disappears?

3)Or do I simplyuse the PC the apply thepolish to a haze, then switch to a different applicator to remove the polish?

1) Depends on the polish, but generally after the polish has been worked long enough to be almost dry.

2) No. I never buff until the polish disappears unless I`m doing something (very) unusual.

3) Yes, this is the right approach. You want to work the polish until its abrasives break down. This is generally right before the polish is worked "dry". You should get a light, transparent haze that`s almost dry but still a little moist. Buff this off gently with the MF towel.

There are products that are used differently, but the above is what I almost *always* do.

a.k.a. Patrick
07-05-2005, 11:10 AM
I usually take a quick peek after the second pass. If I like what I see, then Im done, if not, una mas!

accordmaniac
07-06-2005, 05:56 PM
do you guys start out at a lower speed to break down the polish first or do you just start at speed 5 or 6?

imported_Bence
07-06-2005, 07:09 PM
It depends on the product. Some polish likes the lower OPMs initially, some not.

a.k.a. Patrick
07-06-2005, 07:36 PM
I always apply the polish at a low speed, say 3-4, make a quick pass to disperse the product, then jump it up to 5 to begin the actual polishing. I generally make 3 passes. I very seldom use a slow speed for polishing.

Anthony8858
07-06-2005, 08:30 PM
So....do I apply the polish with a PC pad, then CHANGE pads to buff?

Or do I apply polish to a haze....then buff with a micro fiber by hand?

imported_ajbarnes
07-06-2005, 09:20 PM
So....do I apply the polish with a PC pad, then CHANGE pads to buff?

Or do I apply polish to a haze....then buff with a micro fiber by hand?

I just about always polish to a haze and then buff off gently (as accumulator mentioned) with a MF.

Anthony8858
07-07-2005, 04:31 AM
I just about always polish to a haze and then buff off gently (as accumulator mentioned) with a MF.

Thanks for clearing that one for me. :hifive: