PDA

View Full Version : Redoing my wax job?

CantDrv55
07-04-2005, 09:56 PM
I did the hood of my truck as part of my learning process. I want to redo it this week sometime now that I got some pointers. What do I need to do before hitting it again? Last session had SSR 2.5, SSR 1, EX-P, Natty`s. It`s only like 3 days old.

Also, when I used the SSR 2.5 last time, I used an orange pad. There was a bit of black (the truck is black) on the pad when I finished. Could this have been crap on the paint or the paint itself? I didn`t clay it after the wash, and I doubt the truck ever got anything more than a drive thru carwash in the last 8-11 years. I assumed it was gunk. Thanks.

Alfisti
07-04-2005, 11:09 PM
I did the hood of my truck as part of my learning process. I want to redo it this week sometime now that I got some pointers. What do I need to do before hitting it again? Last session had SSR 2.5, SSR 1, EX-P, Natty`s. It`s only like 3 days old.

I`m sorry, I`m not sure what you mean. Why do you want to redo it if it was done 3 days ago? What did you want to hit it with?

Maybe I`ve totally misunderstood your question. :think:

Also, when I used the SSR 2.5 last time, I used an orange pad. There was a bit of black (the truck is black) on the pad when I finished. Could this have been crap on the paint or the paint itself? I didn`t clay it after the wash, and I doubt the truck ever got anything more than a drive thru carwash in the last 8-11 years. I assumed it was gunk. Thanks.

If you didn`t clay and its only been carwashed in the past, expect lots of gunk to come off. Its best to clay first...you don`t recycle contaminants from the pad back to the paint and cause micro-marring.

CantDrv55
07-05-2005, 06:16 AM
I`m sorry, I`m not sure what you mean. Why do you want to redo it if it was done 3 days ago? What did you want to hit it with?

Maybe I`ve totally misunderstood your question. :think:

I didn`t get the results I was expecting. There are still some swirls in the sunlight, probably due to it being my 1st time detailing the car. I wasn`t sure if I had to somehow remove the fresh wax or just go straight to polishing again.

If you didn`t clay and its only been carwashed in the past, expect lots of gunk to come off. Its best to clay first...you don`t recycle contaminants from the pad back to the paint and cause micro-marring.

I may break down and buy a clay bar this week, especially after the amount of crap that came off the car and got into the pad. :xyxthumbs

Reflections1
07-05-2005, 07:14 AM
I have a question. I have had the same problem with black coming off a blue truck after claying. The paint was very smooth after claying and I thought I clayed well because I couldnt feel and contamination in the paint. My question is, Will there be black on a pad even if the paint was clayed well? Is this contaminants that a chemical cleaner will pull out or old wax that the clay wont pull off?

mystickid
07-05-2005, 09:53 AM
Originally stated by CantDrv55

I want to redo it this week sometime now that I got some pointers. What do I need to do before hitting it again?

Well, you can`t really *remove* polish as it abrades away, however if you want to remove the EX-p and the natty`s so you can polish again, then use a 50/50 mix of Isopropyl Alcohol and water diluted on the car to remove your LSPs (i.e. EX-P & Nattys?) Do one panel and a time and wipe off. Mist the alcohol/water solution on MF and wipe the panel. let it sit for a 20-30 seconds and wipe dry.

Alfisti
07-05-2005, 07:49 PM
CantDrv55, if you`re going to polish again, then you don`t need to worry. The abrasives in the polish will remove everything.

throttlethumb, you may still get colour coming off the paint. It may just be oxidised paint, or it may be ingrained grime.

Keep in mind that clay removes above-surface contaminants, while polish will remove below-surface contaminants.