PDA

View Full Version : Does this sound like a good method?

ptownTSI
07-04-2005, 07:31 PM
Hello all. I`m trying to get rid of the factory orange peel that is prevalent on the surfaces of my grand cherokee. Some arent bad at all, others seem worse. Does this sound like a good method?

1. Wash car with dawn

2. clay car

3. wet-sand with 2000, 2500 megiuars professional papers

4. wash car with dawn

5. apply meguiars #83 d/a cp, if this doesnt take out sanding marks move up to #84, then reapply #83 (use a dewalt 849)

6. apply #82 professional swirl free polish

7.apply #3 machine glaze

8.apply #20 polymer seal

9. finish with #26 hi-tech yellow wax

does that sound like a plan? Is it usually best to stick to one company`s line up of products?

wannafbody
07-04-2005, 07:55 PM
wetsanding a factory finish is risky-the clear is fairly thin-I`d advise against it

ptownTSI
07-04-2005, 08:02 PM
how else can i get rid of the orange peel? should i go straight to #85 diamond cut compount, or just try with the 84/83/83/3/20/26 process.

imported_truzoom
07-04-2005, 08:29 PM
Take a lot of caution when wetsanding, and obviously avoid areas that are not as flat such as fender curves,etc. Your process sounds good enough. Remember to check your work VERY often and take into account that after the wetsanding, the polishing will also remove some of the clearcoat, so you should compensate for it.

ptownTSI
07-04-2005, 11:22 PM
i know i have to use alot of caution, but if this is the only way to get rid of orangepeel then i am ready to do it.

scottabir
07-04-2005, 11:28 PM
Ho wlong do you plan on keeping the vehicle? Be advised by removing the orange peel you can significantly reduce the life of your clear coat and paint...just a warning if you plan on keeping the vehicle for a while.

ptownTSI
07-04-2005, 11:34 PM
eh, scratch that i think i like menzerna products better. Since i have a nearly black car would souveran or FMJ be good? what about the final step of black fire? My car is parked in the 100F sun in Sacramento daily and doesnt get alot of shade.

scottabir
07-05-2005, 12:44 AM
My car is parked in the 100F sun in Sacramento daily and doesnt get alot of shade.

Even more reason to REALLY research what you are about to do. if the car is setting out in the Hot sun for LONG periods of time you may not want to wetsand off all of your OP (unless you are getting rid of the car in a year or so). That being said, Menzerna Polishes or Megs. they both work great. I tend to use more menzerna polishes lately. if it were my black vehicle I would use FMJ topped with souveran. FMJ is going to stand up to the harsh climate you subject your vehicle to. Souveran is really not ment for long term protection. I haven`t used Blackfire myself but some people swear it is awesome some people say it was hard to apply and streaky...I personally dont know, I would be topping with FMJ and souveran.

Eliot Ness
07-05-2005, 07:36 AM
Here are two threads that will give you some good info, but like others have mentioned, be very careful!

http://autopia.org/forum/showthread.php?t=46148&highlight=orange+peel

http://autopia.org/forum/showthread.php?t=53029&highlight=orange+peel

Accumulator
07-05-2005, 10:24 AM
Yeah, check out those links, and then try to talk yourself out of doing it, especially if you park in the sun. You think OP is bad, try dealing with cc failure and a repaint ;)

imported_themightytimmah
07-05-2005, 12:09 PM
Ok, don`t hold me liable if this goes the wrong way, but here`s my advice:

You can sand out the OP, if you keep a coat of something with strong UV protection on the car at all times. I`d 2000 sand, then Powergloss via light cut wool @1250RPM, then PO85RD via foam polishing pad @1500rpm, then EX x2 then Blue Natty`s x2 then Souveran. Souveran is not going to last as your UV protectant, but if you retop every 2-3 weeks, the stuff under it will last a while. Your car will look AMAZING after this, but do understand there is a risk involved. It was worth it to me, but it may not be worth it to you.

Or, you could consider cutting the clear down until there was no OP, and having more clear shot on via a reputable shop. Then, sand that until it is perfect. It won`t come cheap, but it`ll be nearly risk free.

ptownTSI
07-05-2005, 02:27 PM
Ok, don`t hold me liable if this goes the wrong way, but here`s my advice:

You can sand out the OP, if you keep a coat of something with strong UV protection on the car at all times. I`d 2000 sand, then Powergloss via light cut wool @1250RPM, then PO85RD via foam polishing pad @1500rpm, then EX x2 then Blue Natty`s x2 then Souveran. Souveran is not going to last as your UV protectant, but if you retop every 2-3 weeks, the stuff under it will last a while. Your car will look AMAZING after this, but do understand there is a risk involved. It was worth it to me, but it may not be worth it to you.

Or, you could consider cutting the clear down until there was no OP, and having more clear shot on via a reputable shop. Then, sand that until it is perfect. It won`t come cheap, but it`ll be nearly risk free.

thats the best idea yet, having a new coat of clear put on after sanding everything smooth, i might try this with my doors. But the hood, body cladding, and bumpers need to be repainted to be perfect imo. I`m a nut most people wouldnt see anything when they look at my car, but autopia heads will see the stuff jump right out.

ptownTSI
07-05-2005, 02:36 PM
seee! thats not so bad. I`ve worked with paint, sanders, fiberglass, bondo, plasticizers, etc. but never on a cars body, only on stereo boxes/amp enclosures/custom dashes.