PDA

View Full Version : BlackFire & P21s,is this a good combination?

joebags
07-04-2005, 06:43 PM
I just detailed my Black car and used the BlackFire polish and Paint Protector as my finishing wax. I am pretty happy with it but I was just wondering if I used the P21s over the BlackFire would I notice a big difference? Has anyone ever tried this combination. I have read about some pretty good results with the P21s and I have been wanting to try this for over a year now but I love the longevity and look of BlackFire so I thought I might try the P21s over it. Any thoughts? THANKS.

Richt
07-05-2005, 12:13 AM
From what I understand Blackfire looks akin to Wolfgang when applied. I have used P21s over that on my Black car, and it added more depth and wetness to the paint.

joebags
07-06-2005, 10:25 AM
Any other thoughts?

Accumulator
07-06-2005, 11:03 AM
I never topped my BF as I always wanted the option of adding more without having to use the polish. But then I`m the wrong person to ask anyhow as I`m not all that crazy about P21S :o Topping it with Souveran might be a different story...

Detailr75
07-06-2005, 03:33 PM
The proof is in the pudding, dude! Try putting some on and let us know how it goes. Do the hood half-and-half thing. I predict you will notice some difference on the first day after, but by the end of the week, no noticable difference.

joebags
07-06-2005, 08:02 PM
The proof is in the pudding, dude! Try putting some on and let us know how it goes. Do the hood half-and-half thing. I predict you will notice some difference on the first day after, but by the end of the week, no noticable difference.

I would try it out because this is the only real way to tell BUT I don`t have any PS21 and I don`t want to spend $30+ for it if the difference will be minimal.

a.k.a. Patrick
07-06-2005, 08:04 PM
I never topped my BF as I always wanted the option of adding more without having to use the polish. But then I`m the wrong person to ask anyhow as I`m not all that crazy about P21S :o Topping it with Souveran might be a different story...

I agree with Accum on this one, although I wouldnt top with anything. BF is so pretty on its own, and also like Accum, Its nice knowing theres nothing on top, if need be for another layer. BF is one of the better stand alone Polymers, along with UPP. I kind of alternate amongst the two poly`s, with an undecided edge to either one, as to which I like better ! Everytime I use each, i tihink I like it better then the other!

JasonD
07-06-2005, 08:11 PM
I haven`t used BF specifically, but I am told that BF and WG are extremely similar (like Richt said), and I have used WG quite a few times.

I don`t find myself topping anything anymore. For a while, I was topping products to just see how they would come out, but like Accumulator said, once you top it, you are stuck with only being able to add more topper and no more sealant. I actually like the look of multiple coats of a sealant over a single sealant coat with a single wax coat. In your case, if BF in fact does look like WG, I`d say to add a couple more coats of BF before even thinking about topping it. You will be in for a treat after the second and third coats because it just keeps getting better.

Once you get to a point where you don`t find layering more coats is looking any different and you just *have* to put something else on, then at that point, I`d top it to preserve the finish.

As far as what look you will end up with, I would think that you would add a little more depth and gloss but will lose some reflectivity and shininess, which always happens when topping a sealant with a carnauba. The BF sealant already looks a lot like a carnauba (hence it`s darkening properties) but with a wetter finish, so it`s going to be hard to beat.

joebags
07-06-2005, 08:22 PM
Thanks guys, I think I will try some glaze and then another layer of BF on top of that. With one layer of BF then a layer of Glaze followed by another layer of BF the car should be looking real nice.

JasonD
07-06-2005, 08:23 PM
I don`t know if I would do that. The glaze may interfere with the BF and cause bonding issues.

joebags
07-06-2005, 08:25 PM
I don`t know if I would do that. The glaze may interfere with the BF and cause bonding issues.

Well, I`ll give it a try on one area first. Otherwise the next time I do a detail I`ll be sure to use some glaze followed by two layers of BF.

JasonD
07-06-2005, 08:30 PM
No doubt, it will look good, possibly even better, but the durability will be compromised, that`s all. If you find that it doesn`t last long at all, it`s because of the glaze. Then again, it may turn out great and last a long time. This is just the fun of detailing, trial and error.