PDA

View Full Version : What tool is in the meguiars video?

ptownTSI
07-04-2005, 05:08 PM
Just wondering what tool it is that he is using? I want to get whatever he uses, seems to give some good results. I have a dark slate car that is going to take alot of time to get out the factory orange peel.

Bill D
07-04-2005, 06:11 PM
IIRC, it was a Makita rotary, but it`s been a while since I`ve seen the video and lost the link to its newer location.

ptownTSI
07-04-2005, 06:57 PM
so is it generally aknowledged that in the right hands, the only tool you really need is a Rotary like the Makita or the Dewalt 849?

Setec Astronomy
07-04-2005, 07:42 PM
I have a dark slate car that is going to take alot of time to get out the factory orange peel.

:confused:

ptownTSI
07-04-2005, 07:58 PM
i was just saying what my paint color is, and that it has factory orange peel that will take awhile to get out.

Bill D
07-04-2005, 07:59 PM
so is it generally acknowledged that in the right hands, the only tool you really need is a Rotary like the Makita or the Dewalt 849?

That`s an opinion, not necessarily fact, even in the case of the best rotary users out there. The rotary generally equates to faster results but also leaving substantially more room to remove more clear. This doesn`t automatically mean not a dangerous level --in the hands of a skilled technician who also gages the paint thickness before during and after a polishing session. Even at that, some may follow up with a PC or Cyclo, especially on dark colors. In the spirit of using the least aggressive procedure to achieve the results desired, a PC and/or Cyclo can remove paint defects up to a certain severity ( OP sounds like a job for a rotary to me though) and depening on the condition and hardness of the paint.

In other words, for someone who has never used a rotary before and hasn`t dedicated substantial time practicing on scrap panels or junk cars, it is NOT idiot proof. It`s definitely a tool that needs to be treated with caution and respect.

Setec Astronomy
07-04-2005, 08:26 PM
i was just saying what my paint color is, and that it has factory orange peel that will take awhile to get out.

And I was just confused as to how you were going to do that.

Bill D
07-04-2005, 09:16 PM
Orange peel usually requires some amount of wet sanding. "Caution, caution,caution", can`t be said enough with any wet sanding procedure.

Here`s a good orange peel reduction write up (http://autopia.org/forum/showthread.php?t=46148&highlight=orange+peel)

ptownTSI
07-05-2005, 02:21 PM
good stuff, i`ll be sure to practice on some scrap test panels, then do my aunts 86 prelude...she`s getting a new car soon so it wont matter if i mess up. although i doubt after practicing many times on a seperate panel, then doing her entire car.

C. Charles Hahn
07-05-2005, 04:16 PM
so is it generally aknowledged that in the right hands, the only tool you really need is a Rotary like the Makita or the Dewalt 849?

I`d say its generally accepted that the Makita 9227c and DeWalt DW849 are the most widely used tools in the rotary world. Not necessarilly the only tool needed. There are many (in fact most) situations where a rotary can be overkill. I just got my first rotary (a Chicago Electric) and I doubt I`ll use it all that much except for really tough projects where the most agressive setup I have on the PC won`t touch it.