PDA

View Full Version : Help me Decide on products

Choaticwhisper
07-04-2005, 09:39 AM
I need some help Im just getting started in detailing, Im not looking for professonil results just something that looks pretty good.

I want to stick with one brand of products, I think I have decided between adams or PB. I get the feeling that everyone with say go with PB, But I was watching the vidz on adams site and I liked how easy everything looked and the results. But just about every post I see has people using PB, Is it just because its more pro than adams?

Also Im not looking for a all out detail here is a list of products I have chosing that I will be getting, Please let me know if im missing something or I dont really need one of them.

I think thats about it, Also I dont have a PC but I was thinking about a cheapo walmart buffer either 1800rpm or 2600rpm, Would it even be worth the money like $20 or just do it by hand?

Now for the car. Its a Black 1995 nissan, It had really bad oxadation but I used 3m rubbing compound and it will shine pretty nice when waxed, but it begins to fad after awhile but thats just the wax I assume. It has lots of small swirls and a few small scratchs, but Im not really looking to get rid of the scratches just a little less noticable.

Products:

The products are about the same price, But I think with PB I get a little bit more of a couple things.

I think I got the same kind of products of each brand.

I will be adding a clay bar to this.

Adams

-------------

VRT

In & Out Spray

Butter Wax

Revive Polish

Scratch & Swirl Remover

Detail Spray

Car Wash

-------

$73.65

========================

PoorBoys

--------

Natural Look Dressing

Spray & Gloss

Super Slick and Suds Car Wash

SSR2.5

Poorboys Professional Polish

Natty`s Paste Wax

------

$77.70

========================

Sorry for the long post. But Im really looking to find out what I can. $80 is alot to spend on stuff that should do the same thing as $25 of walmart stuff. But I stand by the old rule/saying "You get what you pay for."

Thanks for any help. Also this is a really great place to learn, Ive been reading for awhile now. Also the eBook is really helpfull.

cgc2
07-04-2005, 06:53 PM
Those two are good choices....but, you forgot to look at www.chemicalguys.com

They have some very good product that is priced :up

Choaticwhisper
07-04-2005, 08:21 PM
No I didnt check that site, But thats alittle more than I think I need. I see that I would get alot more product for the price but I would end up having to sell some of that just to get ride of it. I dont detail much, Ive got 2 cars and not confident enough to work on anyone elses.

But thanks.

imported_series1
07-04-2005, 08:50 PM
I would go for Poorboys only because out of those 2 choices I`ve only tried Poorboys. There are some people that use Adams products that will tell you what they think but as for Poorboys all of their products are easy to use in direct sunlight and are just plain easy to use.

RCBuddha
07-04-2005, 10:12 PM
Products:

The products are about the same price, But I think with PB I get a little bit more of a couple things.

I think I got the same kind of products of each brand.

I will be adding a clay bar to this.

Adams

-------------

VRT

In & Out Spray

Butter Wax

Revive Polish

Scratch & Swirl Remover

Detail Spray

Car Wash

-------

$73.65

========================

PoorBoys

--------

Natural Look Dressing

Spray & Gloss

Super Slick and Suds Car Wash

SSR2.5

Poorboys Professional Polish

Natty`s Paste Wax

------

$77.70

========================

Hello!

Either one of those lists should make for a good polish/wax session. I have personally tried both, and I believe Adams to be a touch easier to use than poorboys. Here`s what I would get:

Clay bar - any brand, Claymagic is my favorite

Car Soap - Adams Car soap

Swirl Remover - Poorboys SSR 2.5 (if you have deep spider scratches) and SSR1 (to try first and see if it is enough to remove the scratches you have)

Glaze/polish - Either Adams Revive or Poorboys Polish with Carnauba (easier to use than Professional Polish IMHO)

Wax - Adams Butter Wax (Natty`s is nice if you like paste waxes)

Detail Spray - Adams Detail Spray (smells better IMHO)

Dressing - Adams VRT (which can also be used on tires)

MF towels - You can get them just about anywhere, pakshak and excel detail are the first that come to mind.

Either company makes some fine products, so the decision is ultimately yours. I would HIGHLY recommend getting a PC, its a very worthwhile investment, and it makes waxing and polishing MUCH easier than doing it by hand. Good luck!

Buddha

Choaticwhisper
07-05-2005, 08:35 AM
Thanks I think I will try that. I dont really like paste wax.

Is SSR 2.5 better than adams? I looked at another thread and I have spiderwebs not swirls.

So You think 2.5 or 1 would work best?

I will have to wait awhile for the PC, Not enough money right now, No job.

RCBuddha
07-05-2005, 08:38 AM
I`ve found the Adams to be more like SSR1, it is more of a mild-abrasive polish. SSR 2.5 will do very well on spider scractches.