PDA

View Full Version : Removing light scratches.

joebags
07-03-2005, 07:18 PM
This is one of my first posts, so I hope I have the right area (be kind).

I just fully detailed my 99 Black GTP this weekend and I am pretty happy with the results. I used my PC for the first time with the Lake Country 7.5 Advance Pads from properautocare. I used the Orange Pad, White Pad, White Pad, and Red Pad with the Menzerna Intensive Polish, The Menzerna Final Polish II, BlackFire Polish, & BlackFire Finish Paint respectively.

As I said I am pretty happy with the results but some of the light scratches still remain. They are a lot less noticeable but still there. You can only see them if you look close directly into the paint but I know they are still there and I would like to get rid of them. From all that I have read, I know my choices are as follows but I am not sure which will work(or which combination). Please let me know what you guys thing.

Go with a more aggressive compound, say Poorboys 2.5

Go with a Yellow pad ( a 7.5†Advance Pad) but I know most say a yellow pad is too aggressive.

Go with a smaller pad, say a 4†Orange Pad. (my least favorite since I will have to switch backing plates)

audipower
07-03-2005, 07:50 PM
Some times and that`s for older scratches you have to use an aggressive polish. Sometimes with scratches people let sit for a long time I had to use 3m 3000 grit rubbing compound to get them out. BUT don`t try that. Best thing is to start with the less abrasive first (not including finishing polishes). Then work your way up to the aggressive. Take your time don`t rush to the most aggressive first. Might think it`s stupid for me to say it but man have I seen it alot.

I`ll let the Poorboy`s Users tell what to use on what.

BigAl3
07-03-2005, 08:43 PM
Best thing is to start with the less abrasive first (not including finishing polishes). Then work your way up to the aggressive. Take your time don`t rush to the most aggressive first.

:xyxthumbs

joebags
07-03-2005, 09:05 PM
I used the Orange pad with the Intensive Polish about 4 times on my spoiler. Its definetly better and the scratches are not so noticeable BUT they are still there, so what would you suggest?

imported_themightytimmah
07-03-2005, 09:57 PM
7.5" pads are borderline useless via PC, IMHO. I use them via rotary once in a while, but the way to go with a PC is the 4" pads. Menzerna IP is a great polish, I use its big brother (Powergloss) on 70+% of my details. Try a 4" orange pad with IP, crank the PC to 6, and I think you`ll be p

P.S. I have a very similar black 2d GTP (1997). I HIGHLY suggest using Pinnacle Souveran. Ever since I switched to it, I have gotten comments left and right. Had one woman tell me that it looked like it had 15,000 miles on it (its got 109,000). It sounds like you`re doing your prep work right, so just add on 2 coats of Souveran, and get ready to see people stop and stare when you drive by.

joebags
07-04-2005, 11:11 AM
7.5" pads are borderline useless via PC, IMHO. I use them via rotary once in a while, but the way to go with a PC is the 4" pads. Menzerna IP is a great polish, I use its big brother (Powergloss) on 70+% of my details. Try a 4" orange pad with IP, crank the PC to 6, and I think you`ll be p

By the way were do you get the Powergloss from and how much more cutting power does it have over the IP? THanks. I guess when I do my next full detail, I`ll have to try the 4" Orange pad - I just hate the idea of having to switch backing plates but I guess its not too big of a deal.

By the way I love the Advance pads its so much better then just flat pads, IMO, even though I have not tried the flat pads before.

Accumulator
07-04-2005, 02:18 PM
Yeah, I`d try the orange 4" pads. Since 4" pads make the PC *that* much more effective, I wouldn`t begrudge the cost of the backing plate. I can`t correct *anything* with 7.5" pads, except *maybe* the soft lacquer on the Jag.

joebags
07-06-2005, 08:29 PM
I guess, I`ll try the 4" Orange pad. While I am placing an order, should I get the 7 1/2" Yellow advance pad or not bother?

Also do you guys think the IP will be enough or do I really need the Powergloss? I just hate the fact that the Powergloss is sold in a 32 oz bottle for $24, I don`t need nearly that much half would be more then enough.

Accumulator
07-07-2005, 08:17 AM
Don`t bother with the larger yellow/cutting pad. You won`t even think about it once you`ve used the 4" pads ;)

Dunno about the menzerna...