PDA

View Full Version : Pad repair?

Pages : [1] 2

NorcalZ71
07-03-2005, 01:34 PM
I managed to get the velco backing piece of my yellow cutting pad from detailersparadise to seperate from the pad itself. The white stuff the backing pad adheres to just tore away from the pad when I was polishing at speed 6. Do you think I can reattach it? The pad is in fine shape otherwise, maybe some liberally applied 3m spray adhesive to the velco part and then push it back down on that pad. Could this have any negative side effects other than not working?

audipower
07-03-2005, 11:17 PM
no, i would of suggested that. It`s not going to hit the car.

audio1der
07-04-2005, 06:05 AM
I don`t know if spray adhesive will be strong enough, although I can`t think of a better option- please let us know how it works out!

NorcalZ71
07-04-2005, 08:05 PM
well im gonna order some new propel pads as well, but if i can revive this one then i will definitely give it a shot. sucks too because IMO the yellow cutting pad from DP has the best design because the contact are to the backing plate is not raised up and therefore didnt tear the pad at all, just came un glued. probably from washing them i would guess, i think i clean the pads up too much

lbls1
07-04-2005, 08:12 PM
I had the same problem with my Sonus DAS pads. I tore off the white velcro padding from my green pad, and the orange pad`s white pad started separating after one use!!!

I may need to try another manufacturer of pads. Good luck with your fix, and let us know how it turns out.

Alfisti
07-05-2005, 05:26 AM
Please don`t take this as a criticism to anyone, but when velcro designed for a PC separates, I think of two reasons:

1) More frequently, too much pressure applied at too high speed.

2) Less common, pad defect.

I`ve used Sonus DAS pads professionally for some time without failures. I was tutoring a fellow Autopian on PC usage and could see the way he was using the Sonus pads, he`d be shedding the velcro if he didn`t back off the downward pressure.

Just a friendly word of advice from an ol` fella. :D

NorcalZ71
07-05-2005, 11:34 AM
haha, i have no doubt its user error in my case, still very much a noob.

lbls1
07-05-2005, 08:30 PM
Only the orange and green pads (the green pad after the third use) separated. The blue pad stayed put on all of the other jobs. I don`t recall putting pressure on the machine, as I took care in noting how to apply the pc. In fact, I remember a couple of instances where I wanted to put on more pressure, but I refrained from doing it. Each pad I`d say were used for 45 to 70 minutes per stage, on average. I could be inclined to believe the duration of the polish job at the higher speeds may have been too much for the pads, but I worked up gradually from speed two to five and then six.

I don`t believe it was hand pressure in my case, but there is always room for learning at any experience level. I may switch brands in any event and see whether the same thing happens.

Tasty
07-05-2005, 08:34 PM
I say this all the time, but this is the reason I don`t use speed 6 on the PC.

lbls1
07-05-2005, 08:41 PM
On the babe (car#1) I went to five, but on the daily driver I went to six. I did see a polishing improvement with the higher speed, but there was more energy on the machine`s part in the process.

NorcalZ71
07-05-2005, 08:55 PM
well i went ahead and used some 3m aerosol adhesive spray to put the thing back together. I am letting it dry overnight and I will see how it holds up to some PC action and my new bottle of DACP tomorrow. wish me luck, cuz im broke lol

Alfisti
07-05-2005, 09:28 PM
Yeah, I keep away from speed 6 unless I`m using the SFX pads which have a bullet-proof velcro.

I find that if the pad shape distorts at 6, then it`s too high...I drop it to 5.

Also, the wider the pad, the more pad distortion. So I try and use the smaller sizes at those high speeds, i.e., SFX, Megs 6 1/2", LC VC 6" pads. The DAS pads are 7".

NorcalZ71
07-06-2005, 12:55 PM
Havent tried the pad out again, but having let the 3m adhesive dry overnight, it seems to be attached as solid as a rock. We will see how it holds up

lbls1
07-06-2005, 07:53 PM
SFX pads...ok. I used DAS. Maybe these are the pads to have then.

Alfisti
07-06-2005, 08:02 PM
If you use the SFX pads you won`t need to go to 6.

Because of their size and firmness, they transfer the PC`s energy more efficiently to the paint (less pad distortion means less energy is absorbed, which also means less internal heat is generated).

Dont get me wrong...I love the DAS pads and use them more than any. But if you have troubles using them then SFX is the next step. :up