PDA

View Full Version : Do any of those Brake Dust repelents work?

JustinL67
07-03-2005, 10:32 AM
Like the new michelin stuff? I get major brak dust from my new pads, my next ones will definanalty be ceramic, but do any products actualy work?

bender
07-03-2005, 11:17 AM
The best plan of attack is to use AIO and SGx3. This combo does wonders as far as reppeling brake dust. I have used the michelin stuff a couple times and it works decently well although it will be completely gone after about 1-2 weeks of driving. So, if you re-apply ever second wash i think you`ll be fine. (BTW i`ve been using it on a BMW 330i which is well known for the un-godly amount of brake dust that it produces so you may see different results with your car)

Lowejackson
07-03-2005, 12:06 PM
I have been using Autoglym on my wheels for quite a few years and it really helps. The pads on my Alfa are very soft and brake dust is a big problem but the AG makes cleaning very easy.

03SilverDak
07-04-2005, 01:52 AM
i know that dupont teflon wheel cleaner will take the brake dust longer to accumulate on your rims. what I use to use on my daks rims. I am with you my next pads will be ceramic .

paco
07-04-2005, 09:05 AM
RainX isn`t bad. Does repel brake dust but definitely makes cleaning much easier.

Michelin`s is supposedly not bad but I haven`t had a chance to try it out myself.

imported_themightytimmah
07-04-2005, 11:08 AM
I use DP wheel glaze, it helps to repel dust but more importantly it makes the rims easy to clean with just soap and water. In my experience, nothing is going to truly prevent brake dust from adhering (I`ve used Klasse Twins, Poorboy`s WS, DP Glaze, Collinite, Meg`s GC wax, UPP, the list goes on and on), but a good sealant will cut down on the dusting somewhat, and make cleaning much easier.

buellwinkle
07-06-2005, 05:32 PM
This is a huge problem with European cars and it`s usually solved when you get decent aftermarket pads like Porterfields. I haven`t found anything that makes the dust magically repel. I changed my pads on my last car as soon as I could, gave the new factory pads away. You can wax your wheels like many do to make it easier to clean but you still get dust.

AlexRuiz
07-07-2005, 07:21 AM
I use DP wheel glaze, it helps to repel dust but more importantly it makes the rims easy to clean with just soap and water. In my experience, nothing is going to truly prevent brake dust from adhering (I`ve used Klasse Twins, Poorboy`s WS, DP Glaze, Collinite, Meg`s GC wax, UPP, the list goes on and on), but a good sealant will cut down on the dusting somewhat, and make cleaning much easier.

What is the one that has given you the best results?

I usually go with a sealant (very hated here in autopia) as initial application topped with Collinite IW (845) x 2..... holds up to 6 weeks, and the front brakes in the town & country dust like crazy

mtwedt
07-07-2005, 12:57 PM
I had 10 weeks of easy cleaning with PB`s wheel sealant X 3 and am going to give the DP sealant a try that I got in a sample package. It smells like grape kiddy candy...I`ll have to see if it attracts bugs!

tom p.
07-07-2005, 02:04 PM
I`ve been using the Michelin product for about 2 months now and am very pleased with my $6 investment. It certainly does work. I believe the heavier the brake dust, the better it works.

I have low dusting pads on another car and don`t see a major impact there.

For my personal situation, this spray on product is a superior solution compared to waxing. I use wheel cleaner every time the car is washed and I am quite certain that wipes the wax out quickly.

The Michelin product is quik `n` easy. I generally re-apply after every wash. There does appear to be some residual benefit if I don`t re-apply following every cleaning.

http://autopia.org/gallery/data/3089/26michrepel.jpg

buellwinkle
07-08-2005, 08:41 AM
Where do you get the Michellin Brake Dust Repellent? Also, if it`s some sort of lubricant/wax, wouldn`t it be dangerous getting overspray on the rotors? On the other hand, lubricating your rotors makes the pads last longer ;)

DetailQueen
07-08-2005, 09:12 AM
I use DP wheel glaze, too. Like it best so far. Wheel Wax is good stuff too.

tom p.
07-08-2005, 10:14 AM
Where do you get the Michellin Brake Dust Repellent? Also, if it`s some sort of lubricant/wax, wouldn`t it be dangerous getting overspray on the rotors?

Autozone may be the only retail outlet at this time. Some on-line site has it, cost would have been $20++ when shipping was factored in. :help:

I don`t know what the product is. You could contact the company here in the USA that produces it...perhaps they would share info with you.

The product is sprayed on, dwell for 15 seconds, wipe off. No big deal.

It seems to reduce the gloss on the wheel very slightly.