PDA

View Full Version : Nu-B with some ?`s

ADauphin
07-03-2005, 09:04 AM
I just want to say hey to all and commend you on an extremely informative site. I have some of the worst specimens, a black SUV and a german car :) I thought I knew alot about detailing until I started poking around on this site. My Envoy is 3 years old and the paint is in good shape, but it`s black. I have a PC 2335 which I want to convert to car use, what pads should I get and is there a kit avail with most of the pads I will need? I have ordered the Klasse AIW & SG which I cannot wait to use. The deutchmobile is a 99 jetta drk green and needs some more TLC. I love my wife but the keys are somehow always attached to her hand :help: I have been trying to get a grip on all the compounds avail but there are soooo many to chose. I have mild scratches on the jetta and it has not been polished for 2 years :cry:, but like you have all said the german paint is very durable. I have a Sears 10" RO buffer which I would like to use in conjunction with the PC to save pad changes or is this not the way to go? The finish on the jetta is in remarkably good shape with some luster to it still but I`m thinking a good wash, clay, then whatever you recommend. I wish I had found this site long ago. Also, I can`t find the acronym list, I read it is on the left side of the home page :confused:

JeffM
07-03-2005, 09:08 AM
I dont know about the machine you have, but you should either have a PC or a Cyclo, or do it by hand.

RO machines from Sears ect, are pretty much useless on swirls.

ADauphin
07-03-2005, 09:39 AM
My bad it is the 7335, I stated it was the 2335 :doh.

ADauphin
07-04-2005, 08:07 AM
Where is everyone, watchin fireworks? :usa

Accumulator
07-04-2005, 09:35 AM
gmcman- Welcome to Autopia!

I`m with JBM- I`m not familiar with your model of PC but I wonder how different is is from the 7336 :confused: If it has variable speeds, perhaps all you need is a new backing plate, a counterweight for the 6" plate, and some pads. You can get "pad kits" but I`d just get the individual ones you need (cutting (2), polishing (4), finishing (2) ).

Get your pads, and a lot of MF cloths. from a reuptable vendor such as the ones who advertise here (no foolin`, they`re all good people).

Easy starting point for products: 3M Perfect-It III Rubbing Compound (pn 05933) and Perfect-It III Machine Glaze (pn 05937). I got mine HERE (http://www.handsontools.com/store/show_product/?product_id=3825) . That`s the link for the Machine Glaze but they should have the 05933 too, just look around their website.

And plan to spend some time on this, getting paint good enough to look nice with the Klasse twins can take a while.

ADauphin
07-04-2005, 10:27 AM
Here`s a link on my PC, I have had it for about 4 years. It is a 5" version but I guess it will take all the pads and backing plates of the others.

http://portercable.cpoworkshop.com/sanders/variable-speed_random-orbit_sanders/7335.html?ref=googaw438

Thanks for the info, also where is the acronym list??

Accumulator
07-04-2005, 10:36 AM
I dunno if the list is working, but check the home page or the "links" section- look for "secret decoder ring" or words to that effect. Sorry, not something I look at/for often (rather, I`m probably one of the reasons why we *need* the list :o ).

That PC should work fine for detailing. I would get the 6" counterweight (Porter cable pn 699933 and it`s just a few bucks) and I`d also get a "flex" pad from CMA (http://www.properautocare.com/) or somebody. The weights and plates fit all the "PC"s of that type and are the only real difference between the many various models.