PDA

View Full Version : difference between swirls and spiderwebbing?

Pages : [1] 2

wannafbody
07-02-2005, 08:34 PM
are they the same thing or different?

MorBid
07-02-2005, 08:40 PM
They are different. I`m trying to think where there`s a picture showing the two, but if you saw them you`d know difference

a.k.a. Patrick
07-02-2005, 10:19 PM
I like to think of spiderwebing as any light circular scratches, usually induced by washing and drying, and quick detailing, dust removal. Swirls I like to refer to as caused by the above over a long period of time, and/or induced by improper use of abrasives and a PC or rotary. "Swirl marks" are spiderwebs, but much more dense, and are of a greater severity.

JasonD
07-02-2005, 10:22 PM
Yeah, like they said. They are the same but different.

Accumulator
07-03-2005, 11:21 AM
IMO it`s just a matter of terminology, and there isn`t much standardization when it comes to *detailing* terminology. I remember when "swirls" meant strictly rotary-induced marring and IIRC, Anthony O. still uses the word that way. I`ve heard "spiderwebs" used to describe everything from cracke/crazed lacquer to towel-induced marring.

But yeah, I kinda like Patrick`s explanation, especially the part about how "swirls" are like a more dense version of the "spiderwebs".

It`s all just "marring" to me- "below surface defects". Spiderwebs and swirls are "scratches" or "gouges" in the paint of varying severity/depth caused by different things. You remove it all the same way- by taking off paint with an abrasive product.

imported_Intel486
07-03-2005, 05:52 PM
It`s just all terms. I still like to think of swirls as being caused by a rotary. I think `swirls` just caught on for all fine scratches in the paint because 1) its` easy to say and 2) it`s shorter to type.

When I see fine cracking in the paint, then I think of crows feet or crazing.

For reference: Swirls

http://goldenshinedetailing.com/Images/swirlmarks.jpg

Spider web or cobweb marks

http://goldenshinedetailing.com/Images/spiderwebsrear2arrows.jpg

Accumulator
07-04-2005, 10:16 AM
Intel486- Great examples in those pics :xyxthumbs

Lowejackson
07-04-2005, 11:15 AM
Intel486- Great examples in those pics :xyxthumbs

Agreed but I would try some AIO to get rid of the yellow lines

harvey
07-04-2005, 11:32 AM
I have spiderwebs and all this time I thought that they were swirls. Now I know I have scratches and spiderwebs.

Thanks for the lesson.

lbls1
07-04-2005, 12:26 PM
Spiderwebs are fine cracks in the paint!! Swirling are fine streaks (you could call it scratching, but they are circular) in the paint. Swirling can be eliminated with various degrees of effort, but spiderwebbing will take a lot of work, and if I am not mistaken, may or may not be eliminated in every case, depending on how severe (deep) the webbing goes. Some webbing may require abrasive cutting or wetsanding.

Accumulator
07-04-2005, 02:13 PM
Spiderwebs are fine cracks in the paint....

Seems like not too many people use that definition of spiderwebs these days. Maybe because you just don`t get cracked paint much these days unless they really mess up a repaint.

Lowejackson- Heh heh, that was good :D

imported_Intel486
07-04-2005, 02:45 PM
Spiderwebs are fine cracks in the paint!! Swirling are fine streaks (you could call it scratching, but they are circular) in the paint. Swirling can be eliminated with various degrees of effort, but spiderwebbing will take a lot of work, and if I am not mistaken, may or may not be eliminated in every case, depending on how severe (deep) the webbing goes. Some webbing may require abrasive cutting or wetsanding.

From what I`ve read and heard fine cracks like that are referred to as Crazing or Crows Feet. You have to repaint to get rid of them as you have very little paint you can actually play with as the very top layer of the clear coat is where the UV inhibitors concentrate.

White95Max
07-04-2005, 03:00 PM

:spit: ....

sQuashed
07-04-2005, 03:13 PM

:har: :har: :har: :har:

pugsy
07-04-2005, 04:58 PM
Seems like not too many people use that definition of spiderwebs these days. Maybe because you just don`t get cracked paint much these days unless they really mess up a repaint.

That`s the problem I have on my roof at some stage for some reason it was repainted badly and I was told to fix it needed a repsray, I have done the best i can polishing it and it has excellent refelctions, but in direct sun :nervous2: oh well I will live with for now until I can afford to have it repainted.

Thnaks for the pics and defintions now I know what i have in my paint :grinno: