PDA

View Full Version : What am i getting myself into?!?!

FrizzleFry
07-02-2005, 10:53 AM
So we have a 95 mustang GT on our driveway... it`s not operable so this morning after washing my car and the GFs, I proceeded to work on the mustang. Just a rear fender but none the less, now that I`ve done one part, it makes me want to finish it up. This is definitely gonna hurt... i`ll have to do the rest when I have more time.

This was done with Meguiar`s Crystal Paint Cleaner (PC + polishing pad)) x 2, Klasse AIO (PC + finishing pad) x 1, and FMJ (hand + MF applicator) x1. I know I should probably step up the aggressiveness of the pad... probably save me alot of time

http://www.hubexchange.com/detail/mustangdetail1.jpg

ptownTSI
07-03-2005, 11:05 PM
that looks awesome, good job. it will be worth every effort when your done. black cars look awesome all polished up like that.

audipower
07-03-2005, 11:16 PM
Good job! Try next time SFX-2 with Orange Das pad, then SFX-3 with SFX-3 pad. Much quicker results. Great job though! :2thumbs:

wannafbody
07-04-2005, 07:35 AM
deep crystal isn`t very agressive-get some Mothers PowerPolish at PepBoys and it`ll go faster :D

Scottwax
07-04-2005, 07:49 AM
Meguiars #80 would work great on that as well. Some NAPA stores carry Meguiars pro products and many auto paint stores do too.

Nice improvement so far!

FrizzleFry
07-04-2005, 08:03 AM
yeah i`ll need something more aggressive. there are alot of deeper scratches. here are the results from using 3M Rubbing Compound + Polishing pad (couldn`t find my compounding pad) and the AIO/FMJ combo. Unfortunately the front bumper and some of the body panels will need to be repaired as well as the hood repainted. It had alot of pitting from some orange stuff that ate through the clear/paint. Thanks for all the responses!

http://www.hubexchange.com/detail/mustang_7_3_05

paco
07-04-2005, 08:11 AM
Don`t steup on the pad aggressiveness. A cutting pad shouldn`t be used with a Porter Cable DA. Think of a cutting pad like a foam version of a wool pad.

It will most likely lead to hazing if you use it with a DA machine.

I`d swap out the Deep Crystal which is good for light swirls and step it up a notch to Speed Glaze. The swirls are not too bad, Speed Glaze should be able to take care of most of it.

Paco

FrizzleFry
07-04-2005, 10:56 AM
Thanks for that info. I am getting Menzerna IP and FP2. How does Meguiars #80 compare in aggressiveness to those? I would`ve thought the 3M rubbing compound was going to make short work of those swirls... for the most part yest but the other scratches it didn`t really touch them.

imported_themightytimmah
07-04-2005, 11:16 AM
The Menzerna twins are great, espicially for learning. Since they contain no fillers, you can see exactly what you polished out and what you didn`t. Once you get the right pad/polish combo down for that car, polishing should come significantly faster. Kudos to taking on a black car with a PC, I could never get em right until I got a rotary.

paco
07-04-2005, 04:58 PM
Fizzle,

3M RC isn`t a good product to be used with a DA in my opinion. It was designed to be used with a rotary. I doubt highly that you`d be able to get it to breakdown sufficiently with a DA.

Only the PI-3 or 3000 line should be used with a DA, even then, only the low cutting action products at that.

Paco

Accumulator
07-04-2005, 05:09 PM
Clarification- 3M makes a lot of different rubbing compounds. The PI-III RC (05933) and the PI-3000 stuff that replaced it work fine by PC/DA and even by hand. So does the older PI-II FCRC.

The others are the ones that are rotary only, and I don`t like them even with that.

audipower
07-04-2005, 06:38 PM
#83 Meg`s you can get at a car paint and body store. You should be able to get the swirls out with a aggressive polish and not even a buffing compound. Man, watch out with using 3M rubbing compound with a machine. I couldn`t tell you how many times I have seen people burn through there clear coat. I suggest using it by hand and alot of practice with the PC before using it.