PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Answer to a Clear Coat Question

Boongie
07-02-2005, 08:14 AM
Hi All:

I frequently read on this forum about how thin a layer the clear coat is on a car. I have wondered why the factory doesn`t put on a heavier layer or multiple thin layers to better protect the paint. I spoke to a body shop repairman recently and he told me that a thicker coat of clear coat would cause problems. He told me that paint chips from stones would occur more frequently (since more clear coat would weaken the layers) and the chips would be larger and deeper.

the other pc
07-02-2005, 11:05 AM
Thinner coatings are cheaper to apply. Car companies are in business to make a buck.

Thinner coatings cure faster. Keeps product rolling down the production line faster, gets product out the door quicker and reduces WIP (work-in-progress inventory).

Thinner coatings require less time in curing ovens, reducing energy costs.

Thinner coatings mean less material and waste, lowering waste disposal costs.

Thinner coatings and the attendant lower material volume contain a lower volume of VOCs (volatile organic compounds) so it’s easier (and cheaper) to meet clean air regulations.

Thinner coatings that are available today last as long as the vehicles’ warranties. That’s plenty long enough for the car companies.

Thinner coatings = bigger $$$

PC.

Intercooled
07-02-2005, 11:18 AM
I would think that a thicker coat wouldnt sit right on verticale panels when its applied or curing. Just like using a spray paint can. Thin even coats. Thicker coats run and drip and dont dry evenly.

imported_truzoom
07-02-2005, 11:26 AM
Thinner coatings are cheaper to apply. Car companies are in business to make a buck.

Thinner coatings cure faster. Keeps product rolling down the production line faster, gets product out the door quicker and reduces WIP (work-in-progress inventory).

Thinner coatings require less time in curing ovens, reducing energy costs.

Thinner coatings mean less material and waste, lowering waste disposal costs.

Thinner coatings and the attendant lower material volume contain a lower volume of VOCs (volatile organic compounds) so it’s easier (and cheaper) to meet clean air regulations.

Thinner coatings that are available today last as long as the vehicles’ warranties. That’s plenty long enough for the car companies.

Thinner coatings = bigger $$$

PC.

spot on my friend :tribe:

imported_Intel486
07-02-2005, 12:46 PM
Clear coats on vehicles aren`t thick in general at all. The paint is really there to help protect the metal. Paint shops when they repaint will apply clear coat thick but that`s to give them room to sand it down. A few mils of clear really doesn`t really help out that much. The UV inhibitors would still migrate and concentrate in the top layers of the clear.

If you make the clear coat thick, then it is more prone to cracking as it goes through temp changes. Think of all the temp changes your vehicle goes though. The people with high end show cars with many coats of clear have to worry about this cracking.

Also, the way they apply clear coat on modern vehicles, if they make the coat thicker, then they would have even worse orange peel than what already comes standard on most vehicles these days. They`d probably have to start having to hire people to wetsand and buff out vehicles.

Lowejackson
07-03-2005, 08:23 AM
If you have the money and the skilled people to do the job, multiple layers can be added

DaGonz
07-03-2005, 05:23 PM
I find the whole clear coat has to be thin argument as total BS.

Clear coat is paint without pigment...nothing more, nothing less.

Look at Rolls Royce and Bentley, for example. How many layers of hand rubbed paint are applied to those puppies?

imported_Intel486
07-03-2005, 05:48 PM
I find the whole clear coat has to be thin argument as total BS.

Clear coat is paint without pigment...nothing more, nothing less.

Look at Rolls Royce and Bentley, for example. How many layers of hand rubbed paint are applied to those puppies?

They also cost a lot more than a normal vehicle. Having to wetsand and compound/polish all the vehicles companies make would add a good bit to their costs. Plus the average person doesn`t really care or know any better.