PDA

View Full Version : Good polishes for use with rotary?

NorcalZ71
07-01-2005, 04:18 PM
I am looking to buy the Harbor Freight rotary soon and was wondering what some good polishes to use with it are. My trucks finish is in fairly good shape other than the rocker panels (wide tires outside the flares tend to do a number on the lower door panels). Anyway, I was thinking stuff like menzerna IP, SSR2.5, #80 and #83 would be good? Anything else I should look into? I will need something that can take out some wetsanding work as well.

imported_themightytimmah
07-01-2005, 04:47 PM
Menzerna stuff is great via rotary. PO85RD leaves a finish that nothing else can touch. IP will take out 2000 grit and maybe 1500 grit marks, but PowerGloss via wool will take out ANYTHING that doesn`t go through the clear. The PB`s SSR`s are pretty good too, but they`re a good half step behind Menzerna, IMHO.

I don`t use Meg`s stuff on my own cars, cause its got fillers and you need to IPA wash to see what you really polished out. Its great on beater/paid cars though, can save some serious time over polishing to perfection.

MorBid
07-01-2005, 06:50 PM
Pretty much any product marketed as "For Professional Use" will give excellent results with a Rotary as they are made to take advantage of the heat produced.

3M`s product line (the one`s you get at the auto body supply store and not the ones from the auto parts store)

Top of The Line`s Leveler`s

the list goes on....

wannafbody
07-01-2005, 07:44 PM
Mothers PowerPolish is a nice mild, versitile product for rotary use

NorcalZ71
07-01-2005, 11:39 PM
Right on, thanks guys. I honestly dont know if my truck "needs" a rotary touch or not as I have very minimal swirling/webbing for being 11 years old and only really polished with the PC twice in the past year. However, I do have some deeper-ish scratched around the body that come with having a truck and not having people respect that although its a truck, its also my baby(end mini rant). Anyways, good to know IP will handle 2000 and 1500, I think the lowest ill need to go is 2000, and probably follow up with 3000. I am hoping a rotary touch will fix up my rocker panels as well, they are completely dull and flat compared to the rest of the body.