PDA

View Full Version : Diamondite Review - long

blkZ28Conv
05-02-2003, 03:07 PM
I did this review a few months ago on another site. I noticed that Premium carries this product (Diamondite) and I thought some maybe interested.

Diamondite - Polymer Glass System

Diamondite (www.diamondite.com)The reason I wanted to try this product is two-fold. A ultra detailed car is not complete unless the glass sparkles.A driving environment is not completely safe unless visibility is maximized. Unfortunately, the glass of our cars are usually only partially detailed. This task is difficult and sometimes apparently unrewarding and required multiple unrelated products not meant specifically for glass. A dirty windshield, which appeared flawless in the garage or driveway, is normally discovered when driving. Glass cleaner and wipe/buff and we are done in most cases. I have used products like Barkeeper`s Friend Cleanser ( very mild abrasive), various glass cleaners and even Zaino (Z2/5 and Z6) on glass to add a little more gloss. Not one of these products were specifically designed for glass surfaces. Diamondite is. But wait, we spend hours maximizing the gloss and protection of our paint finishes. Why not maximize the clarity and sparkle of the potentially most reflective item on our cars with a product designed to do this? I did a web search for glass treatments and came across Diamondite. A 3-step deep cleaner ( foam clay), surface cleaner and protectant. After reading I was intrigued with the "foam" claying and "polymer" protectant sealing products. The foam claying procedure is unique in that it functions by removing ( extracting) grime from the deepest valleys of a glass surface. Yes, we have all used normal clay to do this very same function but this product works by getting down to the bottom of the deepest crevises by not only attaching to but also emulisifing the grime. The Diamondite Shield delivers a protective polymer layer was intriguing because it was made specifically to "bond" to glass and also fill-in partially the glass surface`s imperfections while increasing the glass`s clarity and optics. Wow. Many products claim the world but this one appeared too good to not give a try. Let`s face it. We ultra detail our cars but the only portion of the vehicle we are able to observe and enjoy while driving is the glass. There is nothing better than seeing or driving a car with perfectly detailed glass.
When I received my Diamondite Kit I was very excited. It`s winter the garage queen was hiberating, and the daily driver is suffering the full force of abnormal ( for Virginia) winter weather. As I have stated in the past I try new or previously unknown items to me in order to pass the time during the weather. I read the Diamondite directions and set out to do a comparison detailing experiment. I cleaned the entire windshield with a solution of 70% isopropyl alcohol. This was done to remove any Zaino residual that I have previous used to detail this glass. I followed with a auto glass cleaner (SuperShine) and buffed dry. The windshield appeared clean and glossy. At this point I started the Diamondite procedure on one half of the windshield. Pre-cleaned with their glass cleaner. No perceivable difference between the two sides. Next I applied some of the clay foam to the "scrubbie" and started to work it into the glass. This step is the most work intensive and is stated such in the directions. The actions are similiar to working in a hand polish except that one is using a random circular motion. As one works the foam clay it is apparant an enhanced smoothness starts to develop. The more you work clay in the more rewarding the work. I must admit at first this seemed like a lot of work. Then I realized that I have become spoiled by the PC, P21S, GEPC, Souveran, Zaino, Blackfire, Microfibers, Quick detailers etc.. At the same time I realized that I was actually "ultra detailing" my windshield with a product made just for this portion of my car. I can now work my windshield like I do with the paint... maximize its gloss ( foam clay) and protect with a polymer protectant.I continued to work in the foam clay until one-half of the windshield was done. The more one works the clay residual decreases and the smoothness of the glass increases. I used MF`s for all my wiping and buffing steps. I did a trial with my now rarely used cotton towel but they did not perform as efficiently. After wiping off all the foam clay I re-cleaned the surface with the glass cleaner provided in the kit per direction. So far very little product used. At this point there is an obvious difference between the clayed half and the original glass. The untouched side had a now very obvious haze and did not feel as smooth.Very similiar to the results one received after claying paint.I admit my arm was somewhat tired. Not fatiqued because of the difficulty of the task but more from not performing this repetitive motion with pressure since obtaining the services of a PC.. I am excited now but also a little nervous... time for the final step - Protectant. This is the easiest step. Spray on a allow to dry for 5-10 minutes ( I allowed 30 minutes - time for a Bud reward). I buffed off the resultant haze with first a 100% cotton towel and than a MF final buff. Now this is where reading the directions completely is important. After removing the dried protectant in order activated the polymer bonding reaction one must wipe down area with a damp cloth and than follow-up with a final wipe (MF). WOW!! New glass compared with the control untouched side. Effort definitely rewarded. . Will this continue after I get a chance to pull outside. This will be the final exam. Is there a glare, increased clarity, unevenness in clarity and water beading ( sign of protection) when washing this vehicle ( Z28 never driven in bad weather). With the obvious difference in appearance of the two sides and the excitment generated by the first half`s results I proceeded to do the other side. After both sides were completed I proceeded to apply a second coat of protectant to insure complete coverage. Total time spent doing the 3-step process was about 45 minutes - 1 hour. The actual time spend was about 1.5 hours which included the Bud break. Besides the excellent initial results was the pleasure of the task - detailing the exterior of my windshield and the lack of messing up adjacent areas of the car. I did drape adjacent area with cotton towels but the vehicle was as dust-free as prior to this test. We have all done the PC glass polishing method. Call me sick, addicted, lacking of a life but I actually enjoyed this activity.
After this latest snow clears I will pull the daily driver in and apply.Now that I have the procedure learned and know what work is required I am looking forward to it. This vehicle will be more of a challenge for Diamondite because of its higher amount of exposure to all types of weather and environmental assaults. Again I will do a split windshield comparison similiar to the one I just described. I can not wait. I will report back on this test.
Sorry for being so long winded.

Follow-up:
Diamondite is holding up well on daily driver and Z28 ( not yet but soon to be driven in the rain :( ) with cleaning being a breeze. Being the "mad Scientist" I do top every month with some Zaino Z5 I had left over after switching back to carnauba-like appearing sealants. :cool:

AutopiaAdmin
05-02-2003, 03:30 PM
Excellent review. Reading your review a few months ago is what inspired me to carry this line.

I had been in contact with Diamondite before that, but once enthusiasts were giving Diamondite positive reviews we took notice.

We have a huge local client base down here in Florida that consists of mostly pro detailers who have given the Diamondite Spray Clay big thumbs up for reducing or eliminating the irrigation water induced mineral deposits.

blkZ28Conv
05-02-2003, 07:07 PM
Thanks for the compliment. :o
I found this product ( especially the foam clay) very unique. A great project for those long winter nights ( garage queen) or short Fall evenings (daily driver) "detailing" the windshield against the elements.:cool:

ashsarna
05-02-2003, 10:42 PM
Great review, and long;) !!