PDA

View Full Version : Detailing new paint

imported_gusbubba
07-01-2005, 05:07 AM
Tried searching this topic , but kept getting errors...? :nixweiss

Anyway , how long after a vehicle has been repainted before it can be detailed.

I know a variety of products are `body-shop safe` , but just to be on the safe side....

Thanks....

Accumulator
07-01-2005, 08:18 AM
I wash whenever I want and apply a fresh-paint-friendly product (my fave by a huge margin is Meg`s #5). You can polish pretty much whenever you want (after a few days)but the paint will be softer than normal while it cures so take it easy and don`t do more than you need to. I don`t wax/seal for at least two months; I prefer to be on the safe side.

imported_gusbubba
07-01-2005, 11:34 AM
Appreciate the reply, Accumulator.

The paint is almost one month old on a Black Jaguar XK-8.

I had only planned on glazing and sealing , but in light of your previous comments.....

Being that this client is a monthly regular , would it be feasible to apply VM --with mild cleaning/polishing properties and less than lock-tite wax/sealing capabilities-- until the paint cures more fully and I can get him back onto a regular regimen ?(Sorry if this seems redundant to your answer).

Any product suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks again.

Accumulator
07-01-2005, 12:10 PM
I dunno, I`d be a little wary of the possibility that VM contains wax or something that might not be fresh-paint-friendly. I`d do my usual fresh paint regimen (Meg`s #5) and explain to the client that such products will basically wash off and must be reapplied frequently. If he`s a good customer I`d work out something where you sacrifice a little during the rest of the cure period and keep it glazed without charging him an arm and a leg. Don`t want him to a) do damage through neglect or b) think you`re trying to gouge him; you want him to think you worked *with* him during an unusual period in the car`s life, for his benefit and that of the new paint.

imported_gusbubba
07-01-2005, 04:52 PM
Makes sense....better safe than sorry.

THANKS.

audipower
07-01-2005, 11:22 PM
I work with a painter and we wait two weeks and never had a problem. Use clay, paint cleaner, a non abrasive polish (sfx-3 is the best at flatten clear coat), AIO, SG, P21S. I just did a new Cadillac Deville, GMC Denali, and a freshly painted `37 Ford. `37 Ford after two weeks I sanded orange peel and paint defects. Trying to post pics but the damn thing doesn`t work!

clay will remove overspray and paint deposits. These steps will flatten, clean and protect paint to give you superior shine and life!

imported_gusbubba
07-04-2005, 04:12 PM
Well , after getting the car cleaned up a little you could really see the terrible job that was done with the paint-job: flat , dull spots on the paint that look like sanding marks , buffer swirls , holograms , pits in the body that weren`t properly prepped and just painted over. I pointed them out to the customer before I touched the vehicle and told him everything about the job screamed of someone in a hurry or just flat-out inexperienced. He said the guy who painted it often did work for Jaguar. I asked him if it was money out of pocket or an insurance job ( someone keyed the entire car) and he said it was insurance. My likely thought was that this guy wasn`t getting premium dollars for it , so he passed the work to one of his trainees or subcontracted it because I doubt Jaguar regularly accepts shoddy work like that.

In light of that he still wanted it detailed to see how it looked afterward. I told him I`d clean it up but that I wasn`t going to do ANYTHING that could be blamed on me for the paint`s condition.(i.e. compounding or heavy polishing). And , just as I told him , the defects stood out more once it was cleaned.

I suggested he go back to Jaguar and DEMAND it to be redone--and RIGHT this time.

I`m a bit P.O.`d because I`ve been caring for this car on a monthly basis for this guy for over a year now and had the paint where we were both happy with it . Then some meathead comes along and messes it all up in under a few minutes. Then another meathead (probably related) makes it worse with a bad paint job.

I can`t decide if it might not have looked better if they hadn`t repainted it and just left the key scratches in it.

Oh , well.........

Sorry for the long rant , but I had to get it off my chest.

Accumulator
07-04-2005, 04:52 PM
Wow, sorry to hear that. There really are a lot of hacks out there, and many of them *do* work on nice cars :( Hope your customer *does* do whatever is necessary to have it redone right.

audipower
07-04-2005, 06:32 PM
IF you want to help him find out how many coats of clear coat there are on the car. That determines how much you can help him. If he has 4 you can take a wool and a buffer and apply some 3m 3000 grit buffing compound and go over the bad spots. Just 3 passes at a time. Then you can go over it with an aggressive polish like SFX-1 that will get out the micro-mirroring, swirls and the buffing marks. IF he already used buffing compound you can start with the SFX-1. You`ll see if it`s working after the SFX-1. When gone use SFX-2 then 3. Works awesome and smooths the surface to optimium shine. CHeck out my gallery, link below. I had the same problems with a `37 Ford. BE a great car to get noticed with. I did.

imported_gusbubba
07-04-2005, 07:30 PM
audipower:

WOW , that `37`s hot. Nice work. And thanks for the advice ; definately helpful.

Unfortunately , many of the biggest flaws are UNDER the paint from what looks like sloppy body prep.

Even if I did clean up the mess ON the paint , I`d still go home feeling defeated because all I`d still see are the hideous flaws that I can`t do anything about.

THIS CAR NEEDS REPAINTED!!!

Even more unfortunate is that the client doesn`t see the problems as clearly as I do and I get the feeling it doesn`t bother him that much. (Shiny car = healthy paint , no need to scrutinize).

Sometimes you feel like you`re helping people in spite of themselves. I rather prefer discriminating customers who will better appreciate what you`re doing. But that`s being too idealistic.

He`s a good man , though , who I consider a friend , so I`ll keep working on him until he comes around.

audipower
07-05-2005, 11:20 PM
That guy with the "37 was a family friend and I wanted to kill him by the end of the job, because he would go and sand the problem spots with no idea what he`s doing. I threatened to walk away twice. It was worth it because he one 2 "Best Car" at 2 shows this weekend and my other show car customer one Best Chevy and Best Paint. The next morning I had 6 calls of people wantingme to look at there cars.

I`m the same way I look at the paint and figure if it`s worth the time. Meaning, will it look good enough to get noterighty or is it just a lost cause. sanding marks or rubbing compound marks are easy to get out but if there`s alot of primer burns it`s not. orange peel you can sand, but good luck trying to figure out what layer of clear coat it`s under.

I went to look at a couple cars and one is a `62 Lincoln Continental Convertible (gorgeouse!). It just has dull paint, swirls and light oxidation on the chrome and alliminum. Basically not taken care off correctly. =`s good money and low time. It can be a car show winner that gives me print and press and notirighty.