PDA

View Full Version : PoorBoy`s SSR 2.5 vs. SSR 3

RogueM3
06-29-2005, 05:02 PM
Hey guys,

I recently purchased some SSR 1 to try out on some of our family cars..and although I found it to work nicely, its obviously not very abrasive. Typically I use 3M Finesse It 2 (machine Polish) on any swirls...but am looking for something even more abrasive than that. Going solely off website product descriptions I have associated my 3MFI2 as being similar to SSR 2..is this totally off base? Or is that about right?

I am loading up my shopping cart currently with some PB products (at Autogeek) and have already added SSR 2.5, and am wondering if I need to add SSR3 as well. I really dont detail professionally, but for maybe 1 car a month, and wonder if 2.5 on a yellow cutting pad is going to be enough for most any job? Should I avoid the yellow pad and stick to an orange pad as my very most cutting pad?

Also, is their a better place to order PB products from than Autogeek..keeping in mind they offer a 10% off?

Thanks in advance guys.

-Richard

imported_themightytimmah
06-29-2005, 06:01 PM
SSR3 is a big step up from 2.5 - honestly, if you need something that aggressive, you want to use a rotary. 2.5 should do ya for all but "extreme detail contest" entries. If you need a major compound of that power, you should use Powergloss anyways. It leaves a much nicer finish than SSR3.

RogueM3
06-29-2005, 06:11 PM
SSR3 is a big step up from 2.5 - honestly, if you need something that aggressive, you want to use a rotary. 2.5 should do ya for all but "extreme detail contest" entries. If you need a major compound of that power, you should use Powergloss anyways. It leaves a much nicer finish than SSR3.

Thanks very much for the quick response. I guess I wont order the SSR3 for the time being. Am I right to assume that my FI2 is similar to SSR2?

Thanks.

jetskie
06-30-2005, 01:20 PM
Close FI Machine Polish, #80, SSR2 are in that Meguiars 4 or 5 scale with SSR2 slighly more abrassive. 2.5 is more like DACP which is more of a 6 more like a light rubbing compound.

EBPcivicsi
06-30-2005, 01:35 PM
Close FI Machine Polish, #80, SSR2 are in that Meguiars 4 or 5 scale with SSR2 slighly more abrassive. 2.5 is more like DACP which is more of a 6 more like a light rubbing compound.

I find that based on the Meguiars scale

SSR2=4

SSR2.5= 5.5

Just my opinion though.