PDA

View Full Version : Should I Buy a BLACK Car?

Pages : [1] 2

fotodad
06-28-2005, 10:05 PM
I love the color black on an automobile. In fact, one year I bought a black car (1985 Corvette) and I learned quickly how the small swirl scratches become a huge eyesore. So ever since then I`ve stayed far, far away from buying black again. But now, after reading many posts, it seems these swirl marks can be a thing of the past if the black car is properly cared for. True or false? Should I take the risk again of buying black or play it safe and go with various shades of silver/gray? I do own a Porter-Cable buffer and I have become somewhat adept at using it along with high-end products.

Scottwax
06-28-2005, 10:11 PM
For me, black is just too much work. Maybe if I didn`t detail for a living it wouldn`t be so bad but you really have to spend some time to keep black looking its best. I just don`t have it.

That being said, it has been around 2 months and a 1900 mile road trip since I did any polishing and my car still looks really good when I wash it.

scottabir
06-28-2005, 10:16 PM
Well I dont detail full time, and having a black car is a pain to take care of. I use 2 bucket wash method BARELY touching the paint with a chenille wash pad and it still will have micro marring after a few months. Unless you have the time to do Accumulators super-duper-wash-technique you will have marring show up. On the bright side there is nothing that looks better in my opinon than deep, wet looking paint on a black car.

*Edit* So yeah go ahead and buy the black vehicle and join us in the pursuit of keeping a black car clean :D

imported_Sylox
06-28-2005, 10:20 PM
I own a Black car and detail for a living. I wont be selling my current car as it is worth to much to me, but I wont buy another black one either. Next one will definately be White!!!

imported_themightytimmah
06-28-2005, 11:23 PM
I love my black car, but shes a handful. My next one will probably be black too, maybe a dark metallic if not black. If you use RMG or other oily products, followed by carnuba, black ain`t so bad. If you try to go with a sealant and filler-free prep steps, good luck.

03BlackGTP
06-29-2005, 12:11 AM
I own a Black car and I`ll agree its a pain to keep clean. I say if you have a garage, it shouldnt be that bad. I dont have a garage and it hurts to look at her somethings.

Richt
06-29-2005, 12:19 AM
Its is very hard work, dont know if I could handle having one as a daily driver. The results are worth it as nothing seems to look as good as a clean black car.

Raven
06-29-2005, 03:32 AM
I have a black car and it is a daily driver, yes! it`s a lot of work to keep it looking it`s best but IMHO there is nothing that comes close to a wll detailed black car. My next car will again be black.

toyemp
06-29-2005, 06:52 AM
I have four black cars -- two of them daily drivers. Yes, they are a PITA to take care of but I enjoy doing it. My recommendation is this -- if you are willing to put in the time almost every weekend to take care of them, there is nothing more rewarding than seeing the results. If you only want to spend a weekend every couple of months detailing your car, then black is not for you.

I have had 8 black cars in the last 5 years and my next car will probably be black also.

MorBid
06-29-2005, 07:18 AM
I`m in agreement with the majority. My Black Audi gives me fits but when that baby is done right it friggin rocks.

As toyemp and others have said, don`t buy a Black car for a daily driver if your not willing to spend some time with keeping up the appearance each weekend.

Try and use polishes that aren`t old school compound types but more water based cause you`ll be polishing more than twice a year and don`t want to abrade away your Clear

mgm2003
06-29-2005, 07:25 AM
If you want to drive yourself crazy go for it. I`ll sell you one if you`re interested :)

SpoiledMan
06-29-2005, 07:40 AM
Having a black car ain`t no punk(as the slang goes)! I have kept at least something close to black since 1986 and it requires constant attention. My solution in my high school days was to wax 5-6 times a week with Mothers cleaner wax paste. My car was always lookin` good!

Accumulator
06-29-2005, 07:42 AM
With my "extreme wash technique" I`ve washed black vehicles without marring them, so it can be done if you put in the time/effort and do it frequently (before the dirt gets too bad). But I still won`t have one any more, at least not for a daily driver (for years all my vehicles were black). For me, life is just too short...but hey, if you really *like* spending a lot of time detailing, and you *have* the time to spend, then sure, whatever floats your boat. Black sure looks nice when it`s done right.

Pats300zx
06-29-2005, 08:07 AM
I have decided that I will never get my black car "perfect". The daily use of it, washing, and detailing is going to leave some type of marring. I figure if I keep up with it (polishing) once or twice a year should suffice for me.

Mmmph
06-29-2005, 08:21 AM
Unless you have a garage, I don`t recommend a black vehicle. (YMMV)