PDA

View Full Version : Newbie with BLACK car

eroell
06-28-2005, 01:54 PM
Hey everyone,

I`ve recently bought a black Passat TDI, and have learned lots of great info at this site.

This past weekend I bought some Mothers and Maguires products and used them on my `97 Jetta and was pretty happy with the results.

I`m now looking to turn to the brand new car and don`t want to screw anything up. I`ve ordered Klasse SG and P21S wax. I intend to do everything by hand. Would I be correct in that I will:

1. wash

2. clay

3. Klasse SG

4. P21S

Do I need to polish at this point?

I was impressed with how much grit the clay took off, and I understand it`s recommended for new cars as well.

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks.

imported_themightytimmah
06-28-2005, 02:29 PM
You`re gonna want to AIO before SG - otherwise it wont stick right. If you don`t have AIO, then

wash

clay

P21S

P.S. if you`re doing it by hand, don`t try to polish it out. It is possible, but if you want to polish, a PC is money very well spent.

eroell
06-28-2005, 04:01 PM
Is AIO necessary on a new car? I`ve read conflicting info on that. Is a PC for a newbie a good idea? If I get AIO, then it`s:

wash

clay

AIO

SG

P21S?

Thanks for the info!

Glossmaster
06-28-2005, 04:13 PM
Wash, Clay, Wash, AIO, SG x 2 then top that baby with P21S. As for the Klasse All In One.....It`s a teriffic product. You won`t have any problems using it on your new car. Remember to apply your products as thin as possible! Work them in til there`s very little residue visible. Remove with a quality micro fiber & you`ll be good to go.

Welcome to Autopia, by the way!!

eroell
06-28-2005, 07:07 PM
Great thanks for the feedback. How often would you recommend I repeat this procedure? I forgot to mention, that this car is not garaged :( so I need maximum protection. I`ve learned quickly to hate bird dropping! This board has been a great source of info!

toml
06-28-2005, 07:32 PM
I`ve read that SG is fairly durable ... there`s others here who can directly answer your question. If you search, you`ll also find that some people find SG a bear to remove and prefer to use a "WOWO" method to apply it. If you`re interested, here`s the link to the "Klasse SG Wipe on, Wipe off Official Application Instructions (http://autopia.org/forum/showthread.php?t=30989&highlight=official+wipe)."

imported_themightytimmah
06-28-2005, 10:06 PM
SG is strong stuff - if you reapply P21S every third week, the SG should last 6 months.

P.S. AIO is fine new car prep, it takes off whatever crap wax the dealership put on it. The key in prepping a new car is to pay VERY good attention to the claying, most new cars have a ton of crap in the paint.

eroell
06-29-2005, 11:24 AM
How often do you then use the AIO?

jetskie
06-29-2005, 11:57 AM
Every 6 months. I would consider getting a PC since your car is not garaged and a daily driver. No matter how careful you are with washing you will get swrils. You can obtain minimal stuff since your car is new such as a PC with a backing plate and two polish pads and a light polish such as Menzerna FPII which should be used every 6 months for swril removal.

eroell
06-29-2005, 12:35 PM
Thanks, so every six months I`d use the AIO, then Menzerna FPII and finally SG with a PC? I`d consider getting a PC if there is little chance that I could do more harm than good.

toml
06-29-2005, 06:45 PM
Thanks, so every six months I`d use the AIO, then Menzerna FPII and finally SG with a PC? I`d consider getting a PC if there is little chance that I could do more harm than good.

The FPII is a light abrasive polish, so you would use FPII, then AIO, then SG. And yes, a PC is user friendly, so you should consider getting one. As most people will joke on this forum, you`d have to drop it on your paint for it to do any harm :soscared: Probably not 100% accurate, but you really shouldn`t have any problems if you do some reading up about polishing with a PC on this site. David`s free e-book (http://autopia-carcare.com/freeguide.html) is a great place to start.

joeyb7
06-29-2005, 07:20 PM
I have a new black car... just did everything by hand this weekend... no PC yet...

Here`s what I did:

wash/dry

clay - using claymagic

wash again/dry

Poorboys SSR2 Polish

Poorboys Polish w/ carnuba - Here`s where you would put the All in One if you prefer that product

Natty`s paste wax - here`s where you could use P21S if you`d like... or the SG if you prefer a sealant

From what I`ve learned, the sealant will last longer, but won`t look the best. The carnuba will look great, but not last very long..

By the way, does anyone know... will all carnuba work with All in one under it with no problems?? Can you put SG over any polish??

eroell
06-30-2005, 06:46 AM
Ok, so I`ve got the routine down for every six months, but what do you do in-between? Just wash and wax? Do you clay more often? I couldn`t believe how much crap claying removed from my older cars finish. I`m sure it`s nowhere near a professional job, but this newbie likes how smooth the finish feels now!

I guess the small fortune I`ve spent in products at this point is worth it! :)

Accumulator
06-30-2005, 09:20 AM
Ok, so I`ve got the routine down for every six months, but what do you do in-between? Just wash and wax? Do you clay more often?

I spot-clay all the time, but I`m *VERY* gentle about it. If you clay too aggressively you`ll mess up your LSP (Last Step Product) and/or mar the paint. The new Autopia "green" clay should be great for this, it`s supposed to be very mild (haven`t tried mine yet). Some areas like the leading edges (front bumper cover), behind the wheels, the rocker panels, and the rear bumper cover will accumulate contamination much more quickly than the rest of the car.

If you get enough KSG on before topping with wax it`ll last an incredibly long time (I`ve got over a year out of six layers). Keeping the wax refreshed will help the KSG last. I`d wash as needed and refresh the wax whenever you notice a change in the beading (not a perfect test, but workable for practical purposes). A very light claying will help the new coat of wax apply/look better and will keep things smooth.

JoeyB7- Yeah, AIO is a great base for waxes. AIO + carnauba is a well-liked combo. I always apply KSG over AIO. If you want to apply it without the AIO, I`d make sure you use a polish that doesn`t leave anything behind, or else go over it with a rubbing alcohol/water mix before applying the KSG. But really, I`d apply the AIO- it`s quick and easy and the optimal way of using KSG.