PDA

View Full Version : Is #80 proper for by-hand application?

zimmerDN
06-27-2005, 10:16 PM
As the question says... is it? I have light swirl marks and scratches on a 1 year old car that`s never been waxed.

Scottwax
06-27-2005, 10:18 PM
Sure, but make sure you use a folded terry cloth towel to apply it. Foam hand pads are not thick enough and the finger pressure will leave marring. Refold the towel for each section you work and make sure you work it long enough to clear out. If you can easily remove the excess, you worked it long enough. If you cannot remove the excess easily, you need to work it more.

zimmerDN
06-28-2005, 08:11 AM
Someone also recommanded 1ZPP, which would you use?

Can I tape two pads together and use it that way? What do you mean to work it long enough to clear out... more detail please.

Wasatch
06-28-2005, 08:18 AM
#80 is a SOB to remove by hand. I`m sure you will go over and over and over the vehicle.

Accumulator
06-28-2005, 08:24 AM
I find PP a bit stronger abrasive-wise compared to #80 but I find #80 hides remaining marring better. IMO they`re both easy enough to use by hand. You can pretty much take your pick. If it`s a dark color, or if you`re likely to have marring left over after you polish, I`d probably go with the #80. But I have, and use, both and IMO you won`t go wrong either way.

I use a MF instead of terry, but ScottWax has plenty of experience to back up his choice of terry so take your pick on the choice of applicator too.

The "clear it out" means that when you`ve worked #80 long enough to break down the abrasives it`ll turn clear (or on odd, rare occasions *pink* :nixweiss ), which is quite different looking than it`s original brown-olive color. Watch for when the color disappears, that`s when you quit working it. (Scott- Hope you don`t mind my answering this as I was posting anyhow)

Accumulator
06-28-2005, 08:28 AM
#80 is a SOB to remove by hand. I`m sure you will go over and over and over the vehicle.

I`m sure not gonna :argue about what you experienced, but I never found it all that bad....I assume you only used as much as necessary and worked it until it was clear. I found the residue was sorta like that of Meg`s "pure polishes", which *can* be a bit tricky to remove sometimes, but it wasn`t a pain like #7 can be. Wasn`t quite as easy as #5 either, though.

I always do #80 a panel at a time (whether by hand or machine), if that matters. And I get a new/fresh MF from time to time as they can load up with the residue.

Wasatch
06-28-2005, 09:59 AM
I don`t have to worry anymore, I will never use that stuff again, LOL The bottle I got it was a green in nature color.

Accumulator
06-28-2005, 10:06 AM
John Styrnol- Yeah there are a bunch of products that others swear by that *I* swear *at* :D Just gotta find what works for *you* :xyxthumbs

zimmerDN
06-28-2005, 11:30 AM
So I #80 will clean up and remove those minor scratches I have on my car? I need to apply it and keep rubbing until it`s worked in and its clear. Then let it haze and remove?

You ppl suck :hide: haha, getting me all confused about which product to use. I also bought ScratchX, is that too abrasive (for removing deeper hairline scratches and paint left behind by other cars)?

Accumulator
06-28-2005, 02:18 PM
Yeah, I bet we do make it confusing with all our different experiences and opinions!

With the #80, you don`t really have to let it haze, you can just work it until it`s clear and wipe it off even if it`s still a little damp. Shouldn`t really matter either way as the abrasives break down to next to nothing, leaving only polishing oils. Just work it until it`s clear, that`s only real trick.

For the paint transfers from other cars, I almost *always* just use clay. The Scratch-X should be fine for your RIDS (Random Isolated Deep Scratches).

dogma
06-28-2005, 02:36 PM
I love #80 by PC or hand. It was the best I used until ZPC.

Scottwax
06-28-2005, 03:04 PM
FWIW, #80 wipes off more easily with a terry cloth towel than with an MF towel.

zimmerDN
06-28-2005, 03:21 PM
So I can use the applicator pad from patshak and apply it and work it in until it breaks down then wipe with terry or mf cloth?

The paint left by other cars can`t be removed by clay bar. Weird thing is they are all white marks.

AutoNova
06-28-2005, 04:22 PM
Use the Meg`s super terry it is very good at taking off #80. I can`t imagine trying #80 by hand but I did work it the other day with the PC on 6 with success.

jerseymike68
10-20-2009, 11:13 PM
I have the same magnaflow too and love it, you can usually get a used one on ebay or cragislist. I wanted a valid warranty so I got it here. Magnaflow 23563 (http://magnaflow.allexhaust.com/product.php?productid=7603?odc1l=23563). Also some of the forum sponsors usually have a sale going on. Either way its a great exhaust system, sounds great, and very easy to install.