PDA

View Full Version : Backing Plate Advise

imported_TheFiveO
06-27-2005, 10:02 AM
Being as I am new to much of this, I am asking for some advise from the Veterans of the detailing world.

I have both the PC-DA and a rotary buffer. When it comes to backing plates I see a huge difference in the more rigid ones from Meguiars and SA Arnold and the more flexible ones like those offered by Sonus/Autopia and the Lake Coutry et al.

Being as I do not want to have twenty different backing plates, can you (the group) make suggestions as to why one type of backing plate is better than the other. This will hopefully help me alleviate buying things I don`t need.

Thank you in advance for all of your input.

:bow :bigups

Alfisti
06-27-2005, 10:28 AM
The flexible type.

They flex with the pad providing a more even contact, more comfortable, better for the pad, slightly smaller diameter supports more pad types. :up

You`ll need two with different spindle diameters...one to suit each machine`s thread.

J.J.
06-27-2005, 11:25 AM
You`ll need two with different spindle diameters...one to suit each machine`s thread.

This is the only downfall of the whole process IMO. You need a 5" BP for the PC and 4.75" for the rotary. The PC BP has a male end and the rotary BP has a female end. With these two plate you can use the standard 6.5 inch pads with both machines.

JJ