PDA

View Full Version : How to remove dried on cement in wheel wells?

imported_becks
06-26-2005, 05:55 PM
Hey guys,

I was detailing a car and the wheel wells were covered in little spots that looked like dried on cement or something. The owner lives in a new development and they drove over cement or something because it`s hard as a rock and I couldn`t get it off. I tried some APC, clay and nothing even made a dent on it :think: Does anyone have any idea how I could get it off?

Thanks

JeffM
06-26-2005, 07:49 PM
You will have to use an acid.

You might have some success soaking it with vinager.

Boongie
06-26-2005, 08:35 PM
You may want to try very carefully scraping them off with a small flexible putty knife.

imported_themightytimmah
06-26-2005, 09:14 PM
Painted wells - concrete remover, I forgot who makes it.

Black plastic wells - spraypaint over it with black spray.

Setec Astronomy
06-26-2005, 09:33 PM
Painted wells - concrete remover, I forgot who makes it.

Black plastic wells - spraypaint over it with black spray.

I would think that would be the opposite--that paint wouldn`t stick that well to the plastic, and that painting the painted well would be the thing to do, as the concrete remover might also affect the paint?

imported_becks
06-27-2005, 03:52 AM
Thanks for the tips, in regards to painting the wells, I would only do that as a last resort as it would still look bad because it`s all bumpy.

imported_themightytimmah
06-27-2005, 08:58 AM
http://www.safe-react.com/combo.htm. These guys sell a concrete remover, make sure to wear gloves and a mask with it. It does the job though, or so I`ve heard.

toyota2
06-27-2005, 10:02 AM
You could also try a pressure sprayer just be careful with it. I would think it would take them right off.

Justin Horne
06-27-2005, 01:30 PM
You could also try a pressure sprayer just be careful with it. I would think it would take them right off.

Yep, that will work. I did that to my dad`s truck. Just use the high pressure stream, take your time, and be sure to note the difference between dark concrete and undercoating.. Took me a few seconds to figure that out, glad I did... :nervous:

imported_mirrorfinishman
06-27-2005, 05:02 PM
You might have some success soaking it with vinager.

Sounds like a good idea. White vinegar usually works very well at dissolving dried cement.

Mazz
06-27-2005, 11:43 PM
If the wheels wells are plastic try to bend them a bit and see if it breaks off (you may need to remove some bolts) if they are painted there are a few cement, etc removers out there.

imported_becks
06-28-2005, 03:56 AM
I`m going to try the vinegar first and see what happens, since all the cement removers I`ve found also remove paint. Since this isn`t my car, painting will be the "if all else fails option"