PDA

View Full Version : What to use as paint cleaner?

zimmerDN
06-26-2005, 11:40 AM
I am new at waxing cars and detailing. I am still in the process of getting all the detailing products I will need. Right now I am looking for a paint cleaner for the step before apply the wax (Mothers Reflection on a dark color car, car will be clayed bar after the wash).

I have someone recommanded me the AIO but others made the comment that it won`t hide defects as good as others like 1ZPP. Remember I will be doing everything by hand.

The car is 1 year old never been waxed and have minor scratches from washing. I have bought ScratchX already to repair some hairline scratches that are deeper and get the paint off my car that`s left behind by other cars when they dinged my door.

So please tell me what I need to prep the paint before waxing.

AutoNova
06-26-2005, 12:02 PM
SSR 1 would be good, even 2 if there is light swirling.

Accumulator
06-26-2005, 12:38 PM
Something with both abrasives and fillers, that`s also easy to use by hand (well, relatively speaking ;) ) should fit the bill. 1Z PP and Meg`s #80 both come to mind. They`ll clean the paint, abrade away some of the marring, and help hide whatever`s left. Top with your wax and it`ll pretty good.

atticdog
06-26-2005, 12:38 PM
I like useing #80

wytstang
06-26-2005, 02:24 PM
I would think cleakote`s Vanilla moose would do well by hand (key word is think).

III
06-26-2005, 03:09 PM
Megs #9 or poorboy`s pro-polish. Keep in mind that pro-polish contains no oils/fillers and is best at removing oxidation and giving the paint a squeaky clean finish. It`s more of a chemical cleaner. Some people prefer to use a cleaner with no oils/fillers so they can see the paint for what it really is before they proceed with the polishing or waxing step.

zimmerDN
06-26-2005, 08:25 PM
I thought #80 was mostly for PC and not for applying by hand. At least that`s what ppl here told me.

jfelbab
06-26-2005, 08:35 PM
I thought #80 was mostly for PC and not for applying by hand. At least that`s what ppl here told me.

I normally use #80 with my pc because it is so much faster but it also works just fine by hand. The product doesn`t need much heat to break down the diminishing abrasives.

PaPenguin
06-30-2005, 11:20 AM
I`ve found Meguiar`s Medallion Premium Paint Cleaner is wonderful. Unfortunately it`s being discontinued. I bough two bottles from Autopia in their garage sale section for less than 10 bucks a bottle.

jetskie
06-30-2005, 01:12 PM
Take a good look and see how much defects your car really has. If its to your satisfaction then just use AIO. You can use Sctrach X as a cleaner as its no harsher than #80. Scratch X is rather costly as a whole car cleaner and you can purchase #9 locally which is $10 for 16oz. As far as ordering product there is so many like #80, SSR1, VM, IP, FP, 1ZPP. IMO all cleaner works well the only difference is how abrassive you need them and user friendliness. I`m a fan of Menzerna, 1Z, and Meguiars Professional but I use a PC.

Glossmaster
06-30-2005, 01:21 PM
Aio,mpp,vm, 1zmp & Z-PC :woohoo:

zimmerDN
06-30-2005, 02:33 PM
Everyone here`s been telling me it`s a crazy idea to polish the entire car by hand with #80. I am beginning to think I should just stick with some kind of filler to fix the scratches for now until I get a PC.

If I end up using fillers... what about the oxidation on the paint? I am not even 100 percent what oxidation really means anyway.

atticdog
06-30-2005, 02:42 PM
#80 works well by hand and does have filler oils