PDA

View Full Version : How to get rid of slick interior finish?

Suneal
06-25-2005, 07:38 AM
Hey guys,

On the car that I just picked up, there`s a slick, shiny, Armor All-like finish on all of the interior surfaces. How do I go about removing this? I prefer matte finishes on the interior of my cars.

Thanks,

Suneal

accordmaniac
06-25-2005, 07:53 AM
try a diluted solution of apc

Spilchy
06-25-2005, 07:57 AM
:welcome

Ha! Your warning light avatar popped up on my mother`s BMW dash the other week! It signaled some sort of sensor malfunction, nothing mechanical.

If you have an all purpose cleaner dillute it 10:1 with water (water:cleaner) spray on a towel and wipe down your interior mindful not to get it on clear plastic as it may cloud it. You can buy good all purpose cleaners at your local Pep Boys, Auto Zone, etc... You can find Castrol, Power Purple, Grease Lightning, Orange Blast, etc... Just be sure to dillute it properly according to the instructions (usually 10:1). You just need a little cleaner to cut through the surface dirt / grime / prior dressings.

Then wipe down with a damp towel (just water) and then wipe dry with another clean towel.

Then apply whatever protectant you like for your matte finish. You can apply most protectants and then wipe down with a towel to tone down the shine to the matte finish

Welcome to Autopia!

Suneal
06-25-2005, 11:00 AM
Thanks for your responses. Would Simple Green work? I have some lying around the house.

Spilchy - that warning light signals that DSC (dynamic stability control) is either in use, or has been turned off. You must have been having some fun :)

accordmaniac - you live in Punta Gorda? I live in Port Charlotte. Maybe I`ll see you around some time.

magictouch24
06-25-2005, 11:17 AM
Simple Green should work as long as its safely dilluted like everything else.

buellwinkle
06-25-2005, 12:11 PM
You don`t want a chemical that`s too harsh like simple green as it dries out the vinyl. Use some interior vinyl detailer/cleaner specifically made for vinyl.

accordmaniac
06-25-2005, 06:30 PM
follow what spilchy said and simple green will be just fine as long as you dilute it right. but if the vinyl is really fragile then maybe you want to try a 6 part water to 1 part woolite solution first to see if that works. it`s pretty awesome to have another person from charlotte county on here. i thought i was the only one before you. anyways good luck.